copyright confusion

Kiernan

Chieftain
I need some help understanding the subleties of copyright with regards to graphics/images posted on these forums. I need to know what I can/cannot do with or how I can/cannot use the graphics I download from here - besides the obvious prohibition against using them for pecuniary gain. I have seen this topic referred to in other posts, but nothing that is qualified as authoritative. On a related topic, I also would like to know if I can use images that are likely copyrighted as models/base/inspiration for graphics I may wish to create for my own use in this game, and whether or not I can post them here for others to use. An example would be to use a handcrafted porcelain castle (or castle from a movie matte painting) as a model for a graphic I wish to create for myself and post for others to use in this game. I have done some research on this, but it was not very thorough and actually raised more questions than it solved. Any help would be appreciated. :confused: :confused:

There is no copyrightet material on this site, the administrator does not allow it. The companies that made Cossack and American Conquest have given their permission to use the graphics for civ3. So dont worry:)

Basically if you create the animation or graphic yourself, regardless of what that it "looks like" or is similar to, it is legal.

Thank you for your timely reply YodaPower. That resolves issue #1 quite satisfactorily. I still have questions regarding the creation of units, etc using images that may be copyrighted as the main resource/model/inspiration. I have read some information on this, but it left me puzzled and unclear as to what would constitute infringement.

Originally posted by Kiernan
Thank you for your timely reply YodaPower. That resolves issue #1 quite satisfactorily. I still have questions regarding the creation of units, etc using images that may be copyrighted as the main resource/model/inspiration. I have read some information on this, but it left me puzzled and unclear as to what would constitute infringement.

In most cases, it is all allowed, even if material is (c). An example is warhammer (images, names, ideas) by Games Workshop. Any touch of their material is already an infridgement, but it is not discouraged (it's even encouraged) as long as certain conditions are met (ie. no commercial use, information that you used their intellectual property without permission). The fact that the material is copyrighted doesn't mean that use of it is completly prohibited, though it is best to treat each case seperately, and make some research of even contact the authors if possible.

Originally posted by Yoda Power
The companies that made Cossack and American Conquest have given their permission to use the graphics for civ3.
It's the company (without s, there's only one), "GSC Game World Company".

As a rule, always state clearly what is the source of your graphics in the credits.

It can save you a lot of trouble if you don't claim do ahve done somehing you didn't.

And as long as they get free publicity, the makers of the graphics are more likely to let you use it.

I'm not an attorney but IIRC American copyright law generally permits reproduction of copyright material for strictly non-commercial purposes (and, indeed, minor excerpts for profit, e.g. DJ "sampling" of music).

-Oz

Originally posted by Steph
With Firaxis forbidding to use PTW materials, I'm not so sure.
Playing Devil's Advocate (which, BTW, is an actual job at the Vatican :D ) it is possible that Firaxis' position has to do with its "special relationship" with sites like this one and not with any rubric of law per se ...

... Hmmm ... out of curiosity, I'll see if I can make some inquiries next week.

-Oz

PS / Edit -- it occurs to me that I was thinking specifically of images (and small "samplings" etc.); the animated Firaxis units might very reasonably be legally considered software instead, and giving away somebody else's software for free is, as we all know, definitely illegal.

--Again, just a guess...

-O.

PPS/Edit#2 - a quick perusal of various sites seems to generally deem use of, e.g., images as OK if the use is BOTH non-commercial and personal -- i.e., you can have a copy for yourself, but giving to a friend, even for free, might infringe copyright law. Exceptions would be non-commercial educational purposes. Also, so-called "fair use" is an "affirmative defense" -- meaning the defendant carries the burden (and cost!) of proof.

Once again with all the usual caveats :p

-Oz

Besides copyright you may need to look at licensing issues also. Nearly any game done in the past few years has a EULA which you have to explicitly state that you agreed with to install it. These may be more or less restrictive than copyright law.

(Whether these are legally binding is between you, your lawyer and their lawyer).

Originally posted by warpstorm
(Whether these are legally binding is between you, your lawyer and their lawyer).

And here we have the heart of American civil jurisprudence:

{you, your lawyer and their lawyer} = $$$

:rolleyes:

-Oz

Top Bottom