Playing as Austria

JazzToucan

Warlord
I saw a thread that mentioned the 'bonus' civ of Austria, however, although numerous people asked how to add it, nobody posted an answer.

Being completely computer illiterate, I tinkered around and figured it out. So here are some step-by-step instructions for amateurs like myself:

1) Start two Civ Conquest editors (the .exe file can be found in the Conquests folder where you installed the game).

2) In one of the editors, open the "conquests.bic" file and immediately save it as something else like "conquests2.bic" or whatever (this in effect backs up the conquests file so that you're editing a copy).

3) In the other editor, open the .bic file for the napoleonic europe scenario (this should be found in the conquests scenario folder).

4) In both editors, click on the "scenario" and then "edit rules" option. You'll get a menu with numerous tabs.

5) In both, click on the "civilizations" tab. In the first editor select the civ you want to bump out in order to add the Austrians. In the second, select the Austrians.

6) Simply transfer -- just copy and paste -- all of the Austrian information into the first editor replacing the civ stats you are bumping out. The UU for Austria is the Hussar as seen in the Napoleonic Europe scenario.

7) In the lower left hand corner, instead of replacing the .flc files with the standard Austrian flag as seen in the Napoleonic Europe scenario, simply delete the part of the filename that has the name of the leader, e.g., Alexander, Elizabeth, etc. and replace it with "Charles." Do this for all of the files in the scroll down menu.

8)Follow the same 'transfer of info' procedure under the "unit" tab. You'll have to "add" the new unit Hussar to the first editor file, the picture number is on the second editor file. Edit the attack/defense, etc. strength as you see fit.

To play, either move the original "conquests.bic" file that you didn't change to a safe place, and rename the edited one and start the game as normal. You can also just stick the edited file into the scenario folder and start it under Civ-content.

You also have to edit the civpedia .txt file. I did it, but am I a bit too lazy now to go over and post the changes, I'll do it later, or perhaps someone else can fill us in.

One problem I did note is that since I removed the Incas to add the Austrians, I had the ability to use their UU scout. Probably just an oversight on my part in not deleting that unit from the profile.

If any of the experienced players out there know and easier way, feel free to correct me.:king:

Thank you! Why not upload the Bic-file to civfanatics so people can download it? :)

Because that would be piracy. :nono:

Piracy? Why? I think it is impossible to use the bic.file without having the game.And on this forum, there are lots of scearios for download available.Why should it be piracy to make one with Austria as civ?

You can upload a biq as long as it's a scenario you've made. BTW, this thread belongs in Creation & Customization.

Chieftess, has anybody told you how sweet you are ?:love:

Do not be afraid, I was not playing the wooing Frenchman, just looking at your newest avatar ;)

What about the king unit? Did Atari provide one?

I think Charles V is used in the Middle Ages. Isn't his king unit used their?

Actually, I found the Austrian king just now. He's with all the other Conquest units. I'm not sure how to link them together, though. The king units are named after their appropriate leaderheads, but their folders aren't. :confused:

Charles V is the man with the dog at his side. units_32 icon 167.

UU is the Hussar (7.3.3, 80 shields, replaces Calvary); units_32 icon 188.

Basically this is what you should do. Edit the conquests.biq arename an exhisting civ to Austria (Mil, Ind) and then add Charles V and the Hussar after the Mobile Sam unit.

Go into the PediaIcons and add these to the matching start leader/race art sections.

#RACE_AUSTRIA
art\leaderheads\x2_Charles_V victory neutral.pcx
art\advisors\x2_Charles_V advisor.pcx

#HAPPY_RACE_AUSTRIA
art\leaderheads\x2_Charles_V victory happy lg.pcx

#SHAPP_RACE_AUSTRIA
art\leaderheads\x2_Charles_V victory happy sm.pcx

#LKISS_RACE_AUSTRIA
art\leaderheads\x2_Charles_V victory kiss lg.pcx

#SKISS_RACE_AUSTRIA
art\leaderheads\x2_Charles_V victory kiss sm.pcx

#ANGRY_RACE_AUSTRIA
art\leaderheads\x2_Charles_V victory angry sm.pcx

#ILOVE_RACE_AUSTRIA
art\leaderheads\x2_Charles_V victory heart sm.pcx

#LOVED_RACE_AUSTRIA
art\leaderheads\x2_Charles_V victory heart tiny.pcx

#LHURT_RACE_AUSTRIA
art\leaderheads\x2_Charles_V victory beatup lg.pcx

#HURTN_RACE_AUSTRIA
art\leaderheads\x2_Charles_V victory beatup sm.pcx

then this to the start civilopedia art

#ICON_RACE_AUSTRIA
art\civilopedia\icons\races\x2_Charles_V civpedia lg.pcx
art\civilopedia\icons\races\x2_Charles_V civpedia sm.pcx

then this to the starting units

#ICON_PRTO_Charles_V
art\civilopedia\icons\units\x2_Charles_V civpedia lg.pcx
art\civilopedia\icons\units\x2_Charles_V civpedia sm.pcx

#ICON_PRTO_Hussar
art\civilopedia\icons\units\x2_Hussar civpedia lg.pcx
art\civilopedia\icons\units\x2_Hussar civpedia sm.pcx

then this to the unit animations

#ANIMNAME_PRTO_Charles_V
King Austria

#ANIMNAME_PRTO_Hussar
Hussar

well. that does it. the Austrian's civilopedia information came with the game so you have nothing to worry about there. have fun!

I've also come up with a list of Science and Military leaders.

Military leaders:
Babenburg
Jasomirgott
Leopold
Rudolph
Posthumus
Maximilian
Karl
Theresa
Metternich
Don John

Scientific leaders:
Christian Doppler
Erwin Schroedinger
Lise Meitner
Ludwig Boltzmann

If anyone can find more that'd be awesome.

Thanks for providing the extra info everyone!

Sorry I put it in the wrong forum, although hopefully people over there looking over there for info on the Austrians will come over here. It's not necessarily customization, just switching files that the programmers already made. ;)

Originally posted by Mobilize
I've also come up with a list of Science and Military leaders.

Military leaders:
Babenburg
Jasomirgott
Leopold
Rudolph
Posthumus
Maximilian
Karl
Theresa
Metternich
Don John

If anyone can find more that'd be awesome.

You forgot to add "Schwartzenegger!" :D

I thought he was the UU? :confused:

I'm trying to make a scenario w/ Austria in it, and while some of the graphics work, namely the unit and civilopedia graphics for the Hussar and Charles V unit, and the Charles V leaderhead, the rest of the Austrian graphics refuse to load. I could have sworn I had everything absolutely perfect: checked my PediaIcons, created a "Europe" folder to put it in, and put Europe in the scenario search folders space. The scenario itself is also titled Europe, if that makes a difference. Yet the icon for the Austrians in the civilopedia just comes up as a question mark, and I get an error message about LHURT_RACE_AUSTRIA when I retire playing as them and SHAPP_RACE_AUSTRIA when I retire playing as someone else. I have no clue how to fix it, and am attaching both scenario and PediaIcons. Any help would be very appreciated.

And here's the PediaIcons.

Top Bottom