Be a Superhero with TeamCFC. Help us perform miracles.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Abaddon

Deity
Did you know you could become a Superhero, by doing virtually nothing at all?

Many of your fellow members on CFC already do!

You probably have heard the concept: A little program runs in the background of your computer, only taking whatever spare power there is. It uses this power to play with proteins. The results it gets are sent back to the Folding@home people who use it in medical research.

Collectively we do what a zillion dollar computer could. Therefore diverting funds back where it should be spent- on the research, not the equipment.

You dont need a powerful PC, The program carefully monitors how much processing power is available. You will not experience slow downs because of it.

There is no malicious spyware or anything involved within the program

:banana:Download the programme here:banana:

:banana:TeamCFC's stats!:banana:

------------------------------------

To contribute to the statistics for this team, put the number 47958 in the team field
(right-click to configure a client program)

------------------------------------

Folding@Home Website said:
Our goal: to understand protein folding, misfolding, and related diseases What is protein folding and how is folding linked to disease? Proteins are biology's workhorses -- its "nanomachines." Before proteins can carry out these important functions, they assemble themselves, or "fold." The process of protein folding, while critical and fundamental to virtually all of biology, in many ways remains a mystery. Moreover, when proteins do not fold correctly (i.e. "misfold"), there can be serious consequences, including many well known diseases, such as Alzheimer's, Mad Cow (BSE), CJD, ALS, Huntington's, Parkinson's disease, and many Cancers and cancer-related syndromes.You can help by simply running a piece of software. Folding@Home is a distributed computing project -- people from through out the world download and run software to band together to make one of the largest supercomputers in the world. Every computer makes the project closer to our goals. Folding@Home uses novel computational methods coupled to distributed computing, to simulate problems thousands to millions of times more challenging than previously achieved.
CURRENT PROJECTS:
Alzheimer's Disease, Cancer, Huntington's Disease, Osteogenesis Imperfecta, Parkinson's Disease, Ribosome & antibiotics

Nice, we're approaching the top 1000 bracket.

Has anyone asked Thunderfall to post a note of this on the front page yet? Perhaps we should try again.

Good news everyone! I just picked up 5 PCs at a university surplus auction for dirt cheap. It'll be a while until I find a home for them, but then they'll be running 24/7 for us.

Anybody know of a good Linux distro for a PIII 450 MHz w/128MB RAM? They all have Win98 installed, but since I don't have any discs for that, I'd rather reformat and start over.

taper said:
Anybody know of a good Linux distro for a PIII 450 MHz w/128MB RAM? They all have Win98 installed, but since I don't have any discs for that, I'd rather reformat and start over.

Are you dead set on using Linux? NetBSD might perform better on that system than a current Linux distro.

Oh, just FYI, but I lost one of my folding systems yesterday. A power surge whacked it and some other equipment.

ooo im moving up the table, if only i hadnt decided to switch my username halfway through i might be higher.

VRWCAgent said:
Are you dead set on using Linux? NetBSD might perform better on that system than a current Linux distro.

Not really. They might end up in a friend's dorm room, then I don't have to pay for power. I would let them use one of the PC's for internet, school work, etc in exchange. I'll need an OS that's easy enough for a non-geek to use everyday for those things. I ask around in the folding forums too.

I joined now give me some effing credit in post #2! What do you think I did this out of the goodness of my flipping heart?!

Not to be an ass or anything, but aren't there already four or five threads on this? Couldn't you bump one of those. We don't really need another brand new thread every other week.

this is the new improved one and I did bump it from pg2!

who cares anyways why does it matter?

elfangor801 said:
How do you join the CFC team?

Assuming you already have the program downloaded and running, in the configuration menu, under the User tab, put whatever name you want to use in the username box, and 47958 in the Team number box.

I joined the thingie (I think). I am downloading and folding (on the 47958 team or whatever [Agt_Smith]) but do I have to do anything extra to be on your team or whatever or am I now on since I started downloading and shall probably finish my first fold thingie soon? Thanks to anyone that adresses my concern:).

The Condor said:
I joined the thingie (I think). I am downloading and folding (on the 47958 team or whatever [Agt_Smith]) but do I have to do anything extra to be on your team or whatever or am I now on since I started downloading and shall probably finish my first fold thingie soon? Thanks to anyone that adresses my concern:).

Nope you're in, your name should show up once you complete and return your first Work Unit [which is done automatically].

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom