A Brief History of Rocketry from 100AD - 1800AD

Rambuchan

The Funky President
‘Rockets’ were initially unguided bamboo tubes, employing saltpetre, gunpowder and charcoal dust to create light and sound spectacles, and were present in China in the second century AD. Thanks to the curious piety of Taoist alchemists, they were made available for use in entertainment and in religious ceremonies, in a form that many today would call ‘firecrackers’.

Chinese Firecrackers in action today.

The loud noises created are believed to chase away demons and evil spirits.

In 1132 AD reports tell how they began to be guided in experiments conducted by the Song Dynasty’s military. This was achieved by placing these combustible, gas emitting substances into tubes (again made of bamboo) and, crucially for guidance, they were attached to a stick. This is when they began to take on the appearance and behaviour of ‘rockets’, as many understand them in modern military and space exploration contexts. With such “flying fire”, and also in the form of catapult propelled ‘grenades’, the terms ‘missile’ and ‘incendiary projectile’ begin to bear relevance.

"Fire Arrows"

Such gas propelled, guided devices saw their first practical use for serious, military purpose in 1232 AD by the Song Dynasty against the Mongols at the siege of Kai-Feng-fue in which “fire arrows” (and other forms of “flying fire”) were used. The use of this technology, specifically with arrows, meant another significant element of guidance being exploited. Namely that of ‘wing stabilisation’ from the feather ‘vanes’ or fins along the arrow’s shaft that work to counter what fletchers call the off target ‘pitch’ or ‘yaw’ of the projectile.

There was also a legendary attempt to propel a chair according to the ambitions of a certain official by the name of Wan Hu c.1500 AD. Many presume that this legendary figure lost both his life and the chair in such a rocket propelled attempt at transportation, for fire arrows often simply exploded before reaching their target. Despite accidents like this, such unreliable devices could be still useful on the battlefield, to frighten and disorientate the enemy.

Wan hu

Rocketry, in these senses of the word, and its related military pyrotechnics were brought to Europe by the Mongols in the 13th century, notably against the Magyars at the Battle of Sejo (1241 AD). The Ottomans also employed a range of rocketry and pyrotechnics on the battlefield, as in their siege of Constantinople in 1453, thereby spreading such technology further into Europe.

The Mongols were also responsible for spreading this technology into the Arab world, with reports detailing usage in the taking of Baghdad in 1258 AD. Turkic and Mongol descendants, such as the Mughals, brought use of the rocket to the Indian Subcontinent, where the technology was refined yet further.

In the following five hundred years, such varied devices were used intermittently, depending on the popularity of competing projectile technologies that emerged (such as the musket, composite bow and cannon) and took roughly the same form, namely as fireballs, guided missiles and an array of other explosive devices that were designed equally to frighten and confuse, as to cause directly contrived death and destruction.

Thereafter, from 1750-1799 AD, Haider Ali and Tipu Sultan (the Sultan of Mysore, in South India) perfected the rocket's use for military purposes, using it very effectively in war against British colonial armies. Tipu Sultan had 27 brigades (called 'Kushoons') and each brigade had a company of rocket men called 'Jourks'. In the Second Anglo-Mysore war, at the Battle of Pollilur (10 September 1780), Hyder and Tipu achieved a grand victory, the contributory cause being that one of the British ammunition tambrils was set on fire by Mysorean rockets.

An impression of Tipu Sultan's rockets in use against British colonial soldiers

At the Battle of Seringapatam in 1792, Indian soldiers launched a huge barrage of rockets against British troops, followed by an assault of 36,000 men. Although the Indian rockets were primitive by modern standards, their sheer numbers, noise and brilliance were said to have been quite effective at disorienting British soldiers. During the night, the rockets were often seen as blue lights bursting in the air. Since Indian forces were able to launch these bursting rockets from in front of and behind British lines, they were a tremendous tool for throwing the British off guard. The bursting rockets were usually followed by a deadly shower of rockets aimed directly at the soldiers. Some of these rockets passed from the front of the British columns to the rear, inflicting injury and death as they passed. Sharp bamboo was typically affixed to the rockets, which were designed to bounce along the ground to produce maximum damage.

Later at the Battle of Srirangapattana (4th Anglo-Mysore war) April 1799, British forces lead by Col Arthur Wellesley (Duke of Wellington) ran away from the battlefield when attacked by rockets and musket fire of Tipu Sultan's army. Unlike contemporary rockets whose combustion chamber was made of wood (bamboo), Tipu's rockets weighing between 2.2 to 5.5 kg used iron cylinder casing that allowed greater pressure, thrust & range (1.5 to 2.5 Km) .

The British were greatly impressed by the Mysorean rockets using iron tubes. At the end of the Anglo-Mysorean wars more then 700 rockets and sub systems of 900 rockets were captured and sent to England. Just two of the many rockets fired by Indian troops in the 1792 war are still on display at the Royal Artillery Museum in London, alongside related items such as these....

- -

But when many hear the word "rocket" they usually think of this, which still displays many of those early developments mentioned above:

The Nazi's V-2

----

Please see post #9 for Sources, a note on omission and some comment on the reasons for writing the article.

I see that you have spent your 'vacation' well Ram!

The bursting rockets used at Seringapatam... hmm that sounds like 'cluster bombs' right?

Interesting read :goodjob:

Interesting stuff. I've come to the conclusion that the Chinese either don't hear noise the way other people do, or actively enjoy it. Only thus can I explain the incredible cacophany that seems to be involved in every Chinese cultural event. They even have trucks full of people banging drums as loudly as they possibly can that come and sit outside your flat for half an hour for no apparent reason, on completely random, non-festival days. The Chinese can relax happily on the beach with a damn great building site right next to them, complete with shouts, engine noises, buzz saws and drills, and apparently not notice it in the slightest. Worst of all, the Chinese delight for loud and pointless noise has resulted in these unspeakable devices. (That's an American site, but I believe they are a Chinese invention. I have never encountered them in Britain - yet - but they are ubiquitous in Singapore. Sometimes the squeaking continues in my head for hours after I return home.)

Someone once told me that the Chinese just don't hear noise. Seriously, I don't know if the Chinese actually have some physical trait that makes them more tolerant to noise than other people, or whether it's a purely cultural thing (personally I am very intolerant to noise, so I notice it particularly). It would be interesting to study this, although I'd prefer it if someone else did it.

The upshot of all this: I can well believe that the Chinese not only invented gunpowder long before anyone else but used it primarily to make loud bangs for an entire millennium before it occurred to anyone that it might have other uses.

Ram, could you could post some of your sources?

Thanx in advance.

Great article, but I've always read that Tipu's rockets were mostly about the show and were not that good at actually killing brits, since they were extremely unprecise. Tipu lost at Seringapatam, after all.

But his rockets were still pretty advanced and awsome, deadly or not.

Hi guys, thanks for enjoying the article. :)

I find that the story of the rocket is revealing and instructive in terms of cultural exchange. And that's pretty much why I wrote it. Leading up to the Nazi V-2 and indeed beyond, we saw many varied peoples and applications feeding into the evolution of 'rockets' as we understand them today. Far too often we read in histories about "X invented the Y", as if by some stand alone achievement, as if a culture exists in isolation. The story of the rocket is just one example of how this is rarely ever the case. The evolution of the games of Chess, Snooker and Polo, progressions in the techniques of modern Eye Surgery, Dentistry, Brewing and Printing, are other rich examples, along with so many other cases of 'human endeavour and achievement'.

Cultures are somewhat like rivers, all flowing into the same sea of human achievement.

Also, I must say that, although I spent a while gathering the information, I did rattle through the writing of it (I wasn't scheming and writing away during my 'vacation' trooper!) Reading back on the OP, I must say that the writing is somewhat sloppy, so apologies there. I could say that I'll go back and fix it, but I most probably will not.

---

Note about an omission:

Some will note that I have omitted to mention certain classical Greek experiments and developments on the rocket. Well, my reason is simple. The Greek experiments were based around steam. All those that I mentioned were based on gunpowder. There is no evidence that I found which suggests the steam experiments played into the furtherance of gunpowder based 'rocket' technologies.

---

As requested....

SOURCES:

~ Nasa's Glenn Learning Technologies Project - Brief History of Rockets
http://www.grc.nasa.gov/WWW/K-12/TRC/Rockets/history_of_rockets.html

~ University of Louisiana - A Teacher's Guide
http://www.latech.edu/ideaplace/nerc/rockets/03_rocket_history.pdf

~ Marshall Space Flight Centre - Rockets in Ancient Times (100 B.C. to 17th Century)
http://history.msfc.nasa.gov/rocketry/tl1.html

~ Indian Space Research Organisation
http://www.isro.org/

~ Bharat-Rakshak - Indian Space Section
http://www.bharat-rakshak.com/SPACE/index.html

~ The section on Tipu Sultan is pretty much lifted directly from this page
http://www.bharat-rakshak.com/SPACE/space-history1.html
I used this (with counter checking of course!) for the civilopedia entries in a Civ3C scenario I made (see 'Mughals' in sig which contains those rocket units for you to play with).

~ Leaflets I picked up and conversations with staff at the Royal Artillery Museum in London (I used to live and study near it).

~ References to certain battles, and also cross checking on the above links, are drawn from a multitude of books on my shelf (not with me right now and I doubt I'll sit down to find those titles and pages, sorry) and books I borrowed from libraries to write other pieces on other subjects. These all resulted in many notes hanging around which I turned to for the writing of this piece.

I'm impressed by how quickly the Mongols adopted the technology.

sydhe said:
I'm impressed by how quickly the Mongols adopted the technology.
More often than not the Khan would leave clerics, artists and scholars alive(even when he slaughtered the rest of the population). They worked as slaves from then on, and i suppose it was the same case with early rocketscientist/builders/artillerists.

Nine years between being hit by it on the Chinese front and using it in Europe is still pretty good.

Well, twenty years after appropiating the nazi rocket heads the Americans sent a clown to the moon. The Mongols just had to get their new slaves to do what they had already done, but in a different place. :)

You know Im gonna have to say bull on the fact that the english were "surprised" with rockets in 1792 simply because they had rockets as well.

Surpised to see them being fired at them is a different story.

You know Im gonna have to say bull on the fact that the english were "surprised" with rockets in 1792 simply because they had rockets as well.

Surpised to see them being fired at them is a different story.

No the only truly effective British rocket was developed after the Mysore War. The Congreve Rocket which was inspired by Mysorean designs. The Congreve was then used against the Americans in the War of 1812 inspiring the American national anthem.

Those the ones that had the sticks attached to their backends for balance?

Anyways, I think, I should learn to keep my mouth shut as I enjoyed reading the op.

:lol:

Top Bottom