How Do Avatars Affect Your Perception Of Posts?

Ingvina Freyr

wants a Steamfree option
As you probably know, our brains primarily concentrates on visual stimuli. So when reading a post here on OT our perception of it is partially based on factors other than its content, for example the posters avatar.

Now, my question for you is; how much do you think the avatars affect your perception of posts?

If you haven't thought about it before, then try the test below. Read the post. Stop for a while and think about what you feel, then read the post in the spoiler. How do you feel after that?

"As a matter of fact, at the start of WWII, the Americans signed a top secret deal with Germany, promising not to enter the war until Germany have had time to give France a good beating."

Spoiler :

"As a matter of fact, at the start of WWII, the Americans signed a top secret deal with Germany, promising not to enter the war until Germany have had time to give France a good beating."

"We must, in all our actions, consider what legacy we leave for future generations of our people."

Spoiler :

"We must, in all our actions, consider what legacy we leave for future generations of our people."

"You are wrong, and you're being silly! Now show me you are man enough to admit it!"

Spoiler :

"You are wrong, and you're being silly! Now show me you are man enough to admit it!"

:lol: Yes, in many scenarios it does. I've thought about this before too. It affects my perception less now than it used to, but it will probably always be an issue.

nice examples man, certainly agree with your point - avatar (and sometimes username) definately affect how i view posts.

That's a very funny and interesting post :goodjob:

To me, this works only when I'm not familiar with the poster. I then am influenced by the avatar.
But for a long-time poster, usually I've had time to make up my mind on him/her and the avatar no longer influences me.
But there might be a reason why Dumb Pothead and Naziassbandit changed their user name :lol:

Some cute examples there :lol:

I would probably say it affects me more for newer posters or members I've never really seen before, but after a while and I become used to the personality, I use the avatar as a quicker guide to seeing who's posting.

I hope you post that lady in the Babe Thread too.

Avatar's do effect my perception of posts. When I see some Avatars it makes me scroll through the post real quick before any of their innate chatter enters my head by accident.

I tend to recognize posters by their avatars and know most of the personalities around here fairly well by now.

For new members and ones I don't tend to see around OT, though, the avatar does play a fairly important role in reading into the post.

Perhaps that's why a few people around here don't have avatars at all.

Sometimes people confuse me as being a female due to having women avatars ;).

It affects you if you don't really know the poster, but I think visual stimulus is supplanted by experience in this case.

How about people with no Avatars?

This is what I think...

;)

Someone actually have that picture as an avatar on another forum.

Anyway, i think you recognise people on the basis on their avatar. I was once really confused by one guy who had the same avatar as MobBoss, but was advocating left wing ideas.

That scared me.

I take in a mix of avatar, username, and general post quality before passing jusdgement on a user. A more detailed knowledge of them then develops over time. Most of my more negative judgements tend hold true.

Dude, Red Stranger has completely ruined Alexander the Great from Civ 4. Now I despise that character's image. I can't look at it without thinking that Alexander the Great is completely childish looking and that Alexander the Great is probably the dumbest person on Earth.

Moderator Action: Pls be nice. Warned. - KD
Please read the forum rules: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=422889

Due to slow internet speed on at the cafe I surf at, I turned off photo, sig AND avatar displays, so I read ONLY the text. Avatars have no impact on me since I never see them.

I even found that if I put flamers, spammers and insulters on the ignore list, I can actually read this forum in a good mood.

Top Bottom