(4-21a) Counterproposal: Espionage - Rework of Mission Duration Modifiers

Status
Not open for further replies.

amateurgamer88

Emperor
Original Proposal Here.

First, I want to thank @axatin for the hard work of showing all the values and making the proposals. My counterproposals to spy proposals are more for getting conversation going and just sharing what I like to see for espionage.

Things to keep from Original Proposal:
The (mission-specific) base mission durations are directly modified by game speed using the usual duration modifiers (67/100/150/300 for quick/standard/epic/marathon). For example, a siphon mission will then have a base duration of 20/30/45/90 Turns. This will make espionage much more homogeneous across game speeds.

New Proposal Components:
  1. The base duration, once modified by game speed, will be the Standard duration.
  2. Mission duration can be shortened by Spy Power. Spy Power is affected by the rank of the spy and UA. Rank 1 gives nothing. Rank 2 gives -10% of the Standard duration while Rank 3 gives -25% of the Standard duration. England gets an additional -10% of the Standard duration.
  3. Buildings increase the Standard duration for Foreign Spies.
  4. Policies and Tenets can increase/decrease the Standard duration for Foreign/Friendly Spies.
  5. Duration is capped at +/-33% of the Standard duration.
Spoiler Details of (3) and (4) :

Constabulary:
Increases mission duration by 1 turn in the City for Foreign Spies.

Police Station:
Increases mission duration by 1 turn in the City for Foreign Spies.

National Intelligence Agency:
Decreases mission duration by 1 turns for Friendly Spies.
Increases mission duration by 2 turns in the City for Foreign Spies.

Bletchley Park:
Decreases mission duration by 2 turns for Friendly Spies.
Increases mission duration by 2 turns in all Cities for Foreign Spies.

Foreign Service:
Decreases mission duration by 1 turn for Friendly Spies.

Shadow Networks:

Empiricism:

Covert Action:
Decreases mission duration by 2 turns for Friendly Spies.

Double Agents:
Increases mission duration by 1 turn in all Cities for Foreign Spies.

Police State:

For example, let's say we use a standard pace siphon mission.
  • Standard duration: 30 turns.
  • Level 1/2/3 Spies take 30/27/22 turns respectively.
  • Level 1/2/3 English Spies take 24/20/20 turns respectively.
  • Level 1/2/3 Spies take 32/29/24 turns respectively if Constabulary and Police Station are in the City.
  • Level 1/2/3 English Spies take 26/21/21 turns respectively if Constabulary and Police Station are in the City.
  • Level 1/2/3 Spies take 35/32/27 turns respectively if Constabulary and Police Station are in the City while both Empiricism and Double Agents are adopted by City owner.
  • Level 1/2/3 English Spies take 29/24/24 turns respectively if Constabulary and Police Station are in the City while both Empiricism and Double Agents are adopted by City owner.

Rationale:
  1. The original proposal had far too many variables. It's a lot of numbers to understand. I personally prefer something that's much simpler. We know the impact of spies ranks, buildings and policies. Tweaking the numbers is also much simpler.
  2. Less variability. The idea is that you won't have situations where Renaissance Era might see much shorter durations and Modern Era durations being double if not longer. Makes spy missions more consistent and easier to balance if we can say that, on average, the mission takes X turns with Y yields. Is X*Y yields reasonable?
  3. Allows Security Level and Spy Resistance to be variables for other aspects of espionage (to be discussed in another counterproposal). Various aspects of espionage can be more modular.

Last edited:
Proposal sponsored by axatin.

I've made many sponsored posts about spies and how it's flawed, where failing a coup, especially if you expect it to succeed at 86%+ can be so unfair and devastating, you feel guilty but should still just reload. It can mean the difference between peace or war with your neighbor.

I'll see if this change fixed this problem, or at least makes it so I feel less bad cheating every time I reload my quick save after failing yet another coup.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom