(6-WD) Original icons for Destroyer, Missile Cruiser and Guided Missile

Status
Not open for further replies.
Since ENW has been integrated into base VP, the beautiful vanilla icons of Destroyer, Missile Cruiser and Guided Missile have been changed into different ones. While they are not bad at all, the new ones are way too off from the thematic art style of the original ones and units in Civ in general.
Since no new art must be created - just the override of the original ones with the new ones from ENW must be taken / commented out - this is also a fairly low effort change.

Proposal: Destroyer, Missile Cruiser and Guided Missile units get back their original icons

For reference:
Destroyer:
1696965938590.png
ORIGINAL VS ENW
1696966031020.png

Missile Cruiser:
1696966094816.png
ORIGINAL VS ENW
1696966133840.png

Guided Missile:
1696966216129.png
ORIGINAL VS ENW
1696966271025.png

Destroyer's artwork is used for other ship I think.

Hmmm, I just took a look at the code and apparently the original Destroyer becomes "Modern Destroyer" with ENW, so probably this is the icon that would be changed (if we do an exact change):
1696972790622.png

Obviously the "Early Destroyer" (that has become "Destroyer") could also get the original icon, so "Modern Destroyer" retains this. Buuuuut "Destroyer" is a torpedo boat (early 20th century / WW1), and the original icon is very similar to this one (both look close to a Fletcher class to me, WW2 era). Hmmm, tricky situation.

What do you think?

This probably doesn't need a vote. Just do it yourself by making a PR on the repo. The new icons are worse than the original anyway.
Whilst I do prefer the old icons, maybe we should still vote ? I also remember @Recursive saying that Fast-tracked acceptance should be used carefully. I wouldn't really mind if it would bypass vote though.

Wish people would check the actual game before making a proposal.

Wish people would check the actual game before making a proposal.
I'm sorry, I didn't have time so far to check in an actual game, just noticed the old icons in other people's report on Github, and I rushed to create this proposal before the proposal phase runs out (which happened to me twice already :crazyeye:).

If you say that the old icons are already in place and are being used I'm going to withdraw this proposal immediately, of course.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom