The Dacians

Xen

Magister
Of all armies in the history of our little blue ball, none can claim to be as unusual as that of the the Bosporan kingdom of the Crimea.
Involving a cosmoplitan mix of Hellenised Scythians and Sarmatians, Greeks colonists, Sindi and Maiotian tribesmen, with occasional Thracian, Alan and even Roman troops and thrown in for good measure a nice line in field artillery!

but this merlly an introduction to a better more descriptive article by a friend of mine, a Mr. Arian ****** ( last name fudged to protect the innocent)-

The Dacians inhabited an area roughly corresponding to ancient Thrace (modern Yugoslavia) and like their predecessors had a reputation for ferocity and warlike behaviour that brought them into conflict with the might of the Roman Empire. Dacian raids across the River Danube became more than a nuisance during the 2nd century AD and resulted in huge resources being targeted against a relatively minor people.

The Dacians were allied with other local peoples, namely the Bastarnae and later the Carpi, while also maintaining cordial and co-operative relations with the Sarmatians, one of the most restless, aggressive and impetuous folk that the ancient world produced. It may have been the fear of an overwhelming coalition led by the Dacian kings (the most famous of whom was Decebalus) that drove the Romans to campaign so vigorously in Dacia — not always successfully. These hard-fought wars have left us with one of the ancient world’s greatest military records in the form of Trajan’s Column, which basically tells the story of a full-blown Roman campaign in strip form, wrapped around a stone column and depicted in relief.

Dacian warriors would have appeared very like other middle and northern European peoples, with beards, hair trimmed to collar length, a short-sleeved tunic, loose trousers, and leather or bark shoes. As a mountain people who lived by farming they would be healthily tanned and/or weather-beaten according to the season. They seem to have been a prosperous and active people who saw the raiding of their neighbours as a sport but the defence of their own homeland as a deadly serious business.

The Dacian army: This was composed of warrior-farmers. The commonest warrior by far would be a man in his everyday clothing armed with a number of javelins and a short sword or curved knife, his only defence a solid oval shield (often highly decorated) with an iron boss. Such men could quite easily make up over 75% of an army. The remainder would be men armed with bows who acted as scouts and skirmishers, plus a small number of men rich enough to ride around the battlefield but still dressed and equipped like the rest of the army.

Tactics and equipment: Fighting in loose swarms over difficult terrain, they could intimidate more heavily armed and armoured opponents, picking off and swamping unwary individuals or detachments but melting away if the going got too tough. The Dacians also had a couple of surprises waiting for an opponent who was able to catch them in the open field. The first was their allied Sarmatian cavalry, and the second was a terrible weapon called a falx.

Sarmatian cavalry were renowned for the ferocity of their charge, which could easily burst through all but the steadiest line of infantry or cavalry, and in an open field could be unstoppable. Armed with a 10–12 ft (3.0–3.7 m) heavy spear called a contus (literally ‘bargepole’!), wearing helmets and mail, scale or lamellar armour, and riding horses that could also have armour to protect them from missiles, they were formidable opponents even for the Roman Legions. However, they had one great flaw: their tactics were limited to the all-out charge, and a sophisticated enemy such as the Romans could defeat them with careful battlefield preparations designed to disrupt their formations before they came into contact. Although their numbers were small in Dacian armies they would be the focus of much concern to an enemy. (For more detail on the Sarmatians see the separate entry.)

The falx was a weapon peculiar to the area. Basically a curved, scythe-like blade on a wooden haft, it has been identified with the rhomphia of the earlier Thracians. There are several accounts of its shape which vary from a weapon of almost dagger size up to a large curved blade on a curved haft (apparently resulting in an ‘S’ shape). What is certain is that its effects were horrific, easily cutting through a limb or helmet. The Romans tried to counter its effectiveness by equipping chosen legionaries with heavier armour for their sword arms and lower legs and reinforcing existing helmets.

Roman campaigns: Those launched against raiding tribes usually ended with the raiders losing crops, farms and any battle they dared to offer. However, this was not the case with the Dacians. Expeditions sent to punish the Dacians in 85, 87 and 88 AD were all beaten, the first two soundly, though the last could not have been too bad a defeat since the Romans claimed it as a victory even though they ended up making all the concessions, paying tribute. Things were to change with the accession of Emperor Trajan. It was he who led two huge campaigns against the Dacians in 101 and 105 AD. The forces involved have been conservatively estimated at 12 Legions, 16 cavalry alae, 60 auxiliary cohortes and numerous guard and barbarian support units — a minimum of 80,000 troops. In 106 AD Dacia was finally incorporated into the Roman Empire, but the related Carpi tribes continued the tradition of raiding right up until the end of the 4th century.

Allies: These could constitute up to a third of a Dacian army, with the Bastarnae providing up to 20% of its warriors. Their composition differed from that of the Dacians in that they relied almost entirely on the falx, with only a few mounted nobles but supported by having foot javelinmen mixed within their formations. Sarmatians especially enjoyed raiding alongside the Dacians and could number from a few individuals to a whole tribe, so potentially up to 25% of the army could consist of Sarmatian horsemen. (See the separate section on the Sarmatians).

Enemies: The Dacians’ enemies were limited to Early Imperial Romans and Sarmatians, while the Carpi fought both of these and Middle and Later Imperial Romans too . Potentially the Carpi may have clashed with migrating German tribes and Alan nomads up until 380 AD, when they disappear from history.

THE SARMATIANS —
‘A nation most accomplished at brigandage’

In the late 4th century BC the wild steppe people collectively referred to as Sarmatians began raiding their more settled and prosperous neighbours, and they continued to do so for over 600 years until they were wiped out by the Huns. While there were many tribes, I will concentrate here on those which were allied with the Dacians and fought both for and against Imperial Rome.

Several comments survive concerning the character of the Sarmatians which, while subjective, provide something of the flavour of their armies. Apart from the quote at the head of this piece, we are told of one Sarmatian in Roman employ that ‘although a Sarmatian by birth, he is prudent and careful’. The Sarmatian way of war was very straightforward — literally!

Their warrior-class was entirely mounted. In fact we are told that ‘their cavalry is their sole useful force’ and that ‘no people is so cowardly when it comes to fighting on foot, yet when they attack on horseback, few formations can resist them’. Armour could consist of a spangenhelm helmet and a mail or scale corselet, but metal body armour was only affordable to the upper classes and most warriors substituted leather and horn scales. The leather was dyed, so could be brown, black, red, green or blue, but would not be particularly bright. Horn scales were manufactured by splitting horse hooves into small plates, which were shaped and bored with holes for laces and then sewn to a backing like any other scale armour. the color of horn armour may present problems to unit makers, as most cannot agree on the colour (bluish-green is suggested by some ancient commentators). I would recommend a very light beige/brown/white. Other equipment and clothing would be solid colours, with an added layer of grime toning it down even more. Sarmatian horses were armoured in a similar way to their riders, with horn and leather predominating and metal even rarer.

Horse armour was adopted to combat the horse-archery of the steppe nomads who constituted the Sarmatians’ main enemies. The Sarmatians themselves also carried bows but seldom seem to have used them in pitched battles, preferring an all-out charge made even more deadly by their use of the kontos (‘bargepole’), a heavy 10–12 ft (3.0–3.6 m) lance with a long heavy head. The kontos would be wielded in two hands, braced against the horse and rider for extra effect’ The fact that the Sarmatians did not use stirrups means that their skill and horsemanship must have been exceptional to enable them to remain seated after impact. The kontos also bears a resemblance to the Japanese yari spear, which was used as a slicing and stabbing as well as thrusting weapon (there is a record of a Gothic kontos cutting an opponent’s head off), so their straightforward charge may not have been the only fighting style available to the Sarmatians- this said it is no wonder why they became the model for the Roman Cataphract!

perhaps later a more indepth look on some of the others will follow... though dont get your hope up.....

Originally posted by Xen
Of all armies in the history of our little blue ball, none can claim to be as unusual as that of the the Bosporan kingdom of the Crimea.
Involving a cosmoplitan mix of Hellenised Scythians and Sarmatians, Greeks colonists, Sindi and Maiotian tribesmen, with occasional Thracian, Alan and even Roman troops and thrown in for good measure a nice line in field artillery!

Great article Xen!

As for "unusual armies," I'd consider the 1863 version of the Army of the Potomac to be pretty high up on the list.

Check out the description at the beginning of The Killer Angels by Michael Shaara (I know the book is fiction, but his description of the army in the prologue is historically accurate).

XIII, I was thinking about PMing you a new title a while ago, but since no one seemed interested anyway...

I would be very thnkful if you could change it to either;

The Barbarian Horde! part 1 enter the Dacian host!

or if that is alittle to long to show up in full, then-

The Barbarian Horde! part 1 enter the Dacians

and thanks for the compliments guys- consider the Barbarian horde series a make up for my non-patience at wanting to look at Alexanders' battles in depth, and there have been more then enough descriptions of the Macedonian army on the forums already to merit another one popping up....

I'll just rename it to 'The Dacians'. There're worse barbarians out there...

Remember to stick your Part 2 into post no 2 in this thread (edit it); let's keep all the Dacians in one continuos thread. ;)

the next article is going to be about the germans or celts... thats why it was part 1, I'm thinking of 3 seperate threads on 3 seperate armies, as for "The Barbarian Horde" well its okay that you left it out, though ever since seeing gladiator i associate all 'barbarians" with a man with an english accent yelling "the barabarian horde!" its part of the fun of being smelly, dirty, and uncivilised in general....

Xen your original title "most unusual army ever". I've read through the article and fail to see how this army was particularly unusual based on your account perhaps you could clarify?

Barbarian Horde? .....for the new title... the Dacians were anything but barbarians, or do you mean from the Roman perspective. Remember we do have some romanian posters on this board so I would choose my words carefully ;)
Anyway these are just minor quibbles, I enjoyed your description of the falx it sounds like a weapon that no horror movie villian should leave home without.:)

Xen, if you can, you shld add some pix or maps the next thing. It'll make your article look even more impressive and professional-looking. ;)

I dont know how to get more then one pic in a post, or how to get them in the middle of a post, I'll be sure to include some if some kind sould would tell me how...

also, everyone should expect my posts from a very Roman perspective, articles included, as I am a Roman by descent :D

and like I said, the unusual army part referred mostlly to the paragraph at the top- I plan to do an overveiw of all those armies eventually, so people can see just how weird that army was...I mean, one of thoise armies could vbery easilly have ALL of those components at the same time...

Originally posted by Xen
I dont know how to get more then one pic in a post, or how to get them in the middle of a post, I'll be sure to include some if some kind sould would tell me how...
First, you upload your pix or map onto the CFC Uploads folder. Link is the rightmost in the links chain at the bottom of every forumpage called 'Upload File'.

Then image-tag it in your post.

E.g. you uploaded wex.jpg

In your post, it'll look like (w/o the *, only there to show) : -

[*img]http://www.civfanatics.net/uploads5/wex.jpg [*/img]

Thanks, we'll see with what ever assorted barbies are in my next article if i undestand this right... :D

dont know- I didnt write it, a friend did, though I imagine that the main stay is histories, and modern tristeises on them, many on all types of ancient nations are available at amazon.com, I suggest getting them for in depth looks at what exactley these guys looked like all dressed up, as they are very pictoral, while i can only give a description really of the troops (though that may change)

Originally posted by Xen
The Dacians inhabited an area roughly corresponding to ancient Thrace (modern Yugoslavia)

Not correct ...

...the most famous of whom was Decebalus...

Burebista was in fact the greatest "king" of dacians ...

The Dacian army: This was composed of warrior-farmers. The commonest warrior by far would be a man in his everyday clothing armed with a number of javelins and a short sword or curved knife, his only defence a solid oval shield (often highly decorated) with an iron boss. Such men could quite easily make up over 75% of an army. The remainder would be men armed with bows who acted as scouts and skirmishers, plus a small number of men rich enough to ride around the battlefield but still dressed and equipped like the rest of the army.

The Dacian's army was divided in two parts :
- the common people - "comati" - like you described;
- the noblemans - "tarabostes" - who was a heavily armed mounted warriors acting like "shock" units.

Sorry for my comments ... but I want to make this remarks.

Regards

"Not correct ... " in reponse to articles location af dacian territory

the thracians are an offshoot of the dacians, both culturally, and militarilly- they did not have access to the mighty host of cavalry provided by the Sarmatians however- thats why it included Thracia as not only part, but the main center (as it was the most active of all dacian areas prior to Rome)

"Burebista was in fact the greatest "king" of dacians"

but Decebalus is more famous...

Top Bottom