Pontius Pilate

Otakumonkey

Chieftain
I wrote this essay in my freshman year of highschool, but I still stand by it, as I consider it one of my best works. I havn't updated it since, but I think a few people might enjoy reading it.

Pontius Pilate was the second Prefect of Judea after it was made a province to be represented by a direct representative of the Roman Emperor. Pilate was of equestrian rank, that is, of the lower Roman nobility, as contrasted with senatorial rank, a status in life that suggests that he must have had a military career before being appointed prefect. Rome instituted prefects in Judea because Herod Archelaus, one of the three sons of Herod the Great, who had ruled Judea with the title of ethnarch (in effect a puppet king controlled by Rome) had been deposed by Augustus for letting a riot take place during the Jewish Passover in which thousands of Jews were killed. To control the Jews would be no easy task, and Pilate needed to be a strong ruler to control them. Most people know of Pontius Pilate because of his acting as judge at the trial of Jesus of Nazareth. To truly understand the character of Pilate one must study the events that took place during his reign as Prefect and his reaction to them. Therefore, the standards issue will be explained, as well as the aqueduct riot will, and the trial of Jesus.

Shortly after arriving in Palestine in 26 AD, Pilate sent troops into Jerusalem with engraved portraits of Tiberus and Augustus Caesar attached to their standards. A standard was a large medallion attached to a pole that would be carried in front of a unit of soldiers designating who followed. The newly arrived prefect most likely wished to show his loyalty to the emperor by having the soldiers act in Judea as they would anywhere else. The account of the event in the Jewish War (Josephus, 169-74) states that Pilate had the soldiers make their entry at night, hinting that he knew that it was a controversial gesture and caution was needed. Pilate knew that the Jews would react in some negative way to the standards, but was not prepared for the intensity of Jewish feelings against images of defied pagans in the holy city of Jerusalem. Jews swarmed his headquarters at Caesarea another Judean city, to demand that the standards be removed from Jerusalem. The Jews said that the standards were graven images and considered sacrilegious and considered them to violate the Jewish law. Pilate was very reluctant to remove them because it might be interpreted by some as a sign of weakness or disloyalty to the emperor. On the sixth day of Jewish protest Pilate surrounded the protestors with armed soldiers, threatening the to kill the Jews if they did not go home. Astonished when the Jews laid down ready to die, Pilate did not carry through with his threat, but backed down and removed the offensive standards (Josephus, Jewish War 169-74). This incident suggests that Pilate was perhaps trying to establish a reputation at the beginning of his reign. It does not suggest that Pilate was a tyrant who would be forced to us excessive violence (Philo, Embassy to Gaius )

Pilate wished to leave some type of lasting influence on the city of Jerusalem. He decided that the city needed a proper aqueduct. The only problem was that he did not have the proper funds with which to build it. So he turned to the temple. He used the temple funds to build a twenty-to-forty mile aqueduct into the city. The only way that he could ever have used the money from the temple was if he had the cooperation of the high priests. It is recorded that Pilate was in the city of Jerusalem when the people found out that the aqueduct was built using temple funds. The people rioted. They besieged the tribunal palace where he was staying, demanding that the aqueduct be destroyed. In reaction to the rioting Pilate sent among the people soldiers dressed as civilians “with orders not to use their swords,” but to beat any rioters with clubs. When Pilate gave the signal, however, large numbers of Jews perished, some from the blows some trampled by the ensuing flight of the confused people. Josephus reports that the soldiers inflicted much harder blows than Pilate had ordered, hitting those who were rioting and those who were not. It would appear that Pilate had underestimated the brutality of his own soldiers. On Pilate’s part there appears to be was no calculated savagery against the innocent (Josephus, The Antiquities 55-59).

This is the event for which Pilate is known around the world. His involvement in this trial changed the course of human history. By the time the prophet from Nazareth, Yeshu Hanabeshi, know to us as Jesus of Nazareth, was brought by the chief priests of the Temple before Pilate for trial, Pilate had been Prefect of Judea for more than ten years. He had learned that going against the Jewish people in matters of their religion always extracted a price from him in status. When he was forced to remove the standards, the Jews considered it to be a victory over Rome. After the Standards issue, Emperor Tiberius made it clear that Pilate should respect the customs and wishes of the Jewish people (Philo, Embassy to Gaius). The chief priests who brought Jesus before him played upon Pilate’s insecurities resulting from his earlier experiences with them and the memory of the incident that was pivotal in removing Herod Archelaus from his throne over twenty years before (Brown, Death 695-99). All the chief priests would have to do was send an embassy to see the emperor and tell him of Pilate’s actions in being lenient of troublemakers and Pilate would be out of office. So Pilate, knowing the policy of his Emperor, and the opinions of the Jewish leaders, had no real choice but to declare Jesus guilty.

Who was Jesus to Pilate anyway? He was not a Roman citizen. He appeared to be an insignificant country prophet, most likely harmless, but maybe a zealot who needed to be suppressed, like the hundreds of others Pilate had already suppressed. Maybe Pilate thought that he was innocent (Wroe, Pilate, 340-66). Maybe he tried desperately to try and find away to deem Jesus innocent. Jesus offered no defense of himself (Mark 15:2-15). Pilate had no grounds on which he could declare Jesus innocent. So under pressure from Rome and pressure from the chief-priests, Pilate declared that Jesus was guilty of high treason by claming that he was King of the Jews. The chief priests demanded that Pilate issue the order for crucifixion, since the power to kill had been taken from them (Brown, Death 695-699). So from great pressure all around him, Pilate ruled that Jesus was to suffer and to die on the cross.

To truly understand the events that took place during the Passover when Jesus was arrested by the leaders of the Jews and executed by order of Pontius Pilate, it is necessary to understand the history of Roman Judea and the events that shaped the character of the Prefect Pilate: the Standards issue and the Aqueduct riots.

Work Cited
Brown, Raymond Edward. The Death of the Messiah. New York: Double Day. 1994.
Holy Bible. RIV. Mark 15:2-15. Luke 23:2-5. Matthew 27:11-26.
Josephus. Antiquities of the Jews. Copyright information and publishing not available.
Josephus. The Jewish War. Trans. G.A. Williamson, London: Penguin, 1959.
Maier, Paul L. Pontius Pilate. Grand Rapids: Kregel Publications, 1968.
Philo. Embassy to Gaius, Loeb Collection: Volume X. Trans. F.H. Colson. Cambridge: Harvard University Press, 1971.
Wroe, Ann. Pontius Pilate. New York: Random House, 1999.

Very good article. :goodjob:

Just a few comments:
1. I think you should be more skeptic (spl?) of your sources. Josephus is infamous for twisting history in favor of the Romans, and religious writings are also likely to be biased. This is especially true regarding the part about Jesus, as the other parts are also known from other historical sources.
2. I must disagree with the conclusion that "He had learned that going against the Jewish people in matters of their religion always extracted a price from him in status", as he continued to take actions opposing to the jewish religion throughout his reign, as well as killing and massacaring the province's residents untill one of these massacres led to him being expelled from the province and trialed by the emperor in Rome.
3. I find it hard to believe he was after defending Jesus. As you pointed out yourself, he showed little regard to human life. In addition untill the end of his rule he acted in a paranoid manner, sending his troops to monitor and often violently disperse crowds. I can't think of a reason that such a ruler would hesitate to kill anyone he even slightly suspects is opposing him.

Good article. It is difficult to enter the mind of any person. But both your research and the story from the gospel suggests that he was both a soldier who could use a lot of brutal force, and a man with some kind of ethic. He was very ambivalent about what to do with Jesus, although the easiest way had been to kill him as soon as possible.

I once read a book written by a sage from Himalayas who said following about Pontus Pilate. "He was wise inough to see the truth (that Jesus was innocent), but not brave enough to stand up for the truth."

In Roman eyes Jesus was a troublemaker; since also was not a Roman citizen nor a Jewish priest, this was reason enough to have him killed. The whole idea of Pilate's contemplating Jesus' supposed innocence sounds a lot more like a Christian invention after the fact (compare the hagiograpic cliché of the converted soldier at the cross scene) than an actual representation of the state of mind of a Roman governor. Also, appearing before trial was a classic threat at the end of a politician's career, when one's imperium or command was ending (it was the main reason for Caesar's war against Pompey and the Senate, for example).

It's nice to have a bit of revisionism, but you need to consider the alternative views more carefully. How do you know that Pilate really didn't intend his soldiers to beat the rioters as severely as they did? Just because Josephus says it doesn't make it so!

Also, you seem to be taking the Gospel accounts a bit too much on trust. There's no real reason to suppose that Pilate presided over anything like a "trial" of Jesus or indeed even met him or knew anything about his case. Chances are he was given Jesus' name along with a list of others the High Priest wanted executed and just rubber stamped the lot. To the extent that Pilate thought about Jesus at all, he probably whole-heartedly agreed with the High Priest's assessment of the case - as is suggested by the sign which the Gospels describe as being attached to Jesus' cross on Pilate's orders.

Where do you get "Yeshu Hanabeshi" from? Also, what's the RIV Bible?

It's nice to have a bit of revisionism, but you need to consider the alternative views more carefully. How do you know that Pilate really didn't intend his soldiers to beat the rioters as severely as they did? Just because Josephus says it doesn't make it so!

Also, you seem to be taking the Gospel accounts a bit too much on trust. There's no real reason to suppose that Pilate presided over anything like a "trial" of Jesus or indeed even met him or knew anything about his case. Chances are he was given Jesus' name along with a list of others the High Priest wanted executed and just rubber stamped the lot. To the extent that Pilate thought about Jesus at all, he probably whole-heartedly agreed with the High Priest's assessment of the case - as is suggested by the sign which the Gospels describe as being attached to Jesus' cross on Pilate's orders.

Where do you get "Yeshu Hanabeshi" from? Also, what's the RIV Bible?
People are seldom black or white, and may sometimes have complicated personalities. I think that the historic resume by Utaky monkey was good, we probably would need more data to know more about Pilatus.

About the source of the Gospels. If we read them it is in my eyes obvious that Pilate is very ambivalent. Do you think that this source is not trusted? if yes, why is it so? Just curious.

"images of defied pagans". Those pagans just get no respect.

About the source of the Gospels. If we read them it is in my eyes obvious that Pilate is very ambivalent. Do you think that this source is not trusted? if yes, why is it so? Just curious.

I think most scholars regard the depiction of Pilate in the Gospels as pretty much a fiction, designed to "blame" the Jews for Jesus' death and exonerate the Romans - despite the rather problematic fact that Jesus clearly died a Roman death. (This, incidentally, is good evidence that Jesus really was crucified, because the Gospel writers have such a problem "explaining" how the Jews were responsible for it - if they'd been making it all up they would have had him just stoned, like Stephen, or otherwise lynched, like James.) So that's the first reason - we can explain why Pilate would be portrayed in this way quite adequately without having to suppose that he really did behave in this way.

Second, the described behaviour of Pilate is pretty implausible in itself. Why would he care about Jesus? He was, as we've seen, a fairly brutal and undiplomatic character at the best of times. Third, the behaviour of the High Priest and his lackeys is pretty implausible too. If Pilate really didn't think Jesus deserved to die, why would they be so adamant that he should? The "explanation" of the Gospels - that they hated and feared Jesus even before he came to Jerusalem, is pretty unlikely; it is far more likely that Jesus' fate was determined by events during his last visit to Jerusalem, as the Gospels also imply (his action in the Temple according to the Synoptics, his raising of Lazarus according to John). So the basic situation described the Gospels - of a disagreement between Pilate and the priests about Jesus - seems unlikely.

Fourth, and in my view most conclusively, Pilate is portrayed more and more positively as time goes on. Look at him in Mark, then in Matthew and Luke, and finally in John. You will see that each Gospel portrays Pilate as more determined to exonerate Jesus - just as each Gospel portrays Jesus' Jewish opponents as more scheming and evil. In Mark, Jesus encounters both good and bad scribes and Pharisees, and Pilate is a rather indifferent figure. In Matthew, Jesus encounters only evil scribes and Pharisees, and Pilate works hard to avoid killing Jesus (only for the crowd to insist that Jesus' blood will be on the heads of them and their children!). In John, Jesus is uniformly opposed by a monolithic group called just "the Jews" (as if Jesus himself weren't Jewish), and Pilate is a positive hero, doing everything he possibly can to save Jesus but somehow being outmanoeuvred by those wicked Jews. The trend continues in non-canonical texts too, such as the "Acts of Pilate", where Pilate is the main character and basically a devout Christian himself, and the priests are bunch of villainous caricatures. Some of these extra-canonical texts have Jesus working miracles at Pilate's command.

So when you look at it like this, it's pretty clear that the positive portrayal of Pilate was a theme that developed over time in tandem with an increasing demonisation of Jewish groups such as the Pharisees and the priests. That increasing demonisation reflected tensions between the Christians themselves and non-Christian Jews, rather than the situation in Jesus' own day. They projected these tensions back into the stories about Jesus, making it seem that he had just as much trouble with the Pharisees as the later Christians were having with the heirs of the Pharisees, and the sympathetic portrayal of Pilate was just part of that. How better to emphasise the guilt of the Jews for Jesus' death? It's thus of very little value as a source for the real Pilate.

A six-year bump! :eek:

Aargh! I didn't spot that.

Thanks so much Plotinus for your long and interesting explanation, I really apprechiate it. Personally I do not agree much with the majority of academics who believe that what is written in the Bible is not based upon facts (I speak about historical facts, not the belief of churches), or that tales of what happened in the past kept alive by ordinary people (as for example Indians in America) is not facts. I think that Pilate could be both brutal and have a conscience, but the fear of political implications would make him give in to the Jewish leaders.

No problem. When academics say that claims in the Bible or other folk histories aren't facts, it's not just because of some kind of prejudice against those sorts of sources (well, sometimes it is, but not usually) - it's because there's some reason to. As I said, in the case of the description of Pilate in the Gospels, there are good reasons to suppose that it is not historical. But there are plenty of other things in the Gospels which we have no reason to suppose are not historical or at least have a historical basis, even if they are not supported by other evidence. For example, there's no reason to doubt that Jesus' first disciples were fishermen from Galilee, or that Peter denied that he knew Jesus, and so on. History is about looking at the evidence, some of which might disagree with each other, and trying to work out which evidence is reliable and what sort of claims it can support. So it's not just about what could have been the case, but about what the evidence suggests was the case, and how strongly and reliably it suggests it.

Top Bottom