6otM176 AAR

Eyswein

King
GOTM Staff
Welcome to the 6otM176 After Actions Report thread. In this thread you can post the results of your game. Please state victory date and score (preferably in the post title), as recorded in the Hall of Fame, and the most important: your path to glory!

STOP - Please do not continue reading this thread until you have completed and submitted your game.

Please attach your victory save to your post.

- What was your plan for achieving the VC? What are the major steps you planned to take? What events, if any, changed the plan in execution and to what new plan? Any interesting decision points?
- What were your initial 5-10 builds in the capital or other early cities?

- Early order for technology/civics? What did you prioritize for technology/civics?
- How did the leader bonus and civ unique ability impact your plan/play, if at all?
- How many cities did you settle and/or capture? Where did you settle your first few cities?
- What were key production/purchase focuses?
Military units / Civilian units / Districts & city development / Wonders / Civ Unique Unit & Infrastructure? Most critical or interesting?
- Pantheon chosen and why? Religious beliefs chosen, and why?
- What governments did you select? What key policy cards did you use? Why?
- Which Governors were most important; when and why?
- Was diplomacy/trading useful? How? Relations with other civs?
- When did you have Dark/Golden ages?
- How did the map affect your gameplay?
- Any surprises/frustration/elations you ran into, how did you deal with it?
- Did you enjoy your game?

Please use spoiler tags for any surprise details you'd like kept hidden. Thanks.

If this is a replay, please indicate 'REPLAY' at the top of your post. If you conduct regular restarts, please indicate 'RELOADS' at the top of your post. More posting helps us all get play better as we understand the methods of others, but want to clearly distinguish between a first run through without reloads and other submissions as it is much harder to recover in game from the mistakes we all make.

CV, turn 241

This was a slow start on a small island, surrounded by even tinier islands. Getting cartography was absolutely crucial;
once I had that I levied troops from two city states and combed the map - got lots of tribal villages, several first-meet envoys,
and 3 relics from Kandy.
I tried - for the first time - to go for religious tourism, which kind of worked (I got 11 relics, thanks to Kandy and Yerevan) but
was not nearly enough to win, so I used a brute force approach with all kinds of tourism sources: great works, wonders,
bateys, moai, city walls, national parks and whatnot. After 241 turns it was finally sufficient :king:.
In striking contrast to last month, this map featured an insane number of city states (converted barbarians mostly),
30 in total in the end, including many helpful ones: Auckland, Kandy, Yerevan, Valetta, Bologna, Chinguetti, ....
I got suzerain in 23 of them, and hunting for envoys was the best part of this game ("religious unity" belief was a good pick).
All in all, this was a relaxed game (no war at all, I wanted to stay on good terms and have open borders with everyone).
Never before did I see so many powerful suzerain bonuses in a single game. Thanks!

Attachments

• 6oTM.176.241.png
    6oTM.176.241.png
    4 MB · Views: 79
  • 6oTM176.CV.241.Civ6Save
    3.7 MB · Views: 4
REPLAY CV, turn 278

I played this game all the way through twice - the first time I achieved a culture victory at turn 310 and wanted to see if I could improve my speed by fixing a few glaring mistakes. Specifically, in the first attempt I went for a religion and chose Reliqueries, but then didn't build enough temples to house Relics. I also didn't get to Cartography soon enough and missed out on quite a few choice settlement locations.

This time I focused on building more holy sites for temples, and tried to expand earlier. I got a normal age, then dark, and then heroic, which allowed me to use Monumentality to spam out quite a few settlers between T100 and T150. Stayed peaceful the entire game, without a single military conflict. Was friends or allies with every civ except Norway for most of the game. Choosing Reliqueries and World Church allowed me to take the culture production lead pretty early and keep it the whole game.

Fun game, thanks!

Attachments

• 6otM176_ISuckAtCivT278.png
    6otM176_ISuckAtCivT278.png
    4.2 MB · Views: 44
  • 6otM176.T278CV.Civ6Save
    3.8 MB · Views: 5
CV 165

Spoiler t166 :
20240213173023_1.jpg

A pretty confusing game, the shoreland around was awful, and the reliquaries play was perhaps the way to go. I still opted for traditional Cultural game, albeit I have taken advantage of AIs poor water defense. I have bullied all of them with Galleys and Caravels to keep them below 30 culture per turn for the entire game.Eventually took out Norwegia, as they had a couple more domestic tourists than the rest of the pack. Gilgamesh started off by wiping Egypt, so I had to eventually liberate Cleopatra to revive her potential toruists.Only after finishing the game, I have realized that he has killed her off again in the end, probably hurting my result by a couple of turns.

For the city states, Kumasi was very close and I focused on getting their Suz bonus to get ahead in Culture. Eventually, Chinguetti also appeared somewhere in the north, which was my main source of Faith for the game. As I had no religion and very little Faith overall, I have opted to go for Free Inquiry (boosting my Science couple times over).

Thanks for the game!

Attachments

• quicksave.Civ6Save
    2.7 MB · Views: 8
CV T248. Not the best ground available. Should have probably realized sooner, that all kinds of CS improvements were available, settling some islands with at least 6-7 tiles would probably have been useful. Relied on a mix of improvements, GW and a little bit of late game wonder spam. A few rock bands helped as well.

Attachments

• HOJO TOKIMUNE 248 1685 AD.Civ6Save
    3.5 MB · Views: 4
DV T320 (honestly I don't know how y'all do it in 180)
Started first settlement at 1E on the stone

I went pretty much straight for Seafaring, Ship Building, Astronomy... I was surprised how long it takes to find a new continent in an island game for trade :(
Incredible fun spreading out among the islands and warring with barb camps

I usually play at King, and so a DV of Ashoka (7th) was sad for me
I was actually holding back on culture, only built two theaters

Fun!DiploVictory.png

Attachments

• HOJO_320_1898.Civ6Save
    4.1 MB · Views: 1
CV, 264.

After playing the Civ challenges of the month, I was inspired to try my hand at some of these GOTM and I gotta say - this was the most fun I had playing Civ in a long time and looking forward to more!

Early game I got lucky picking off a stray settler (Lahore?) which was a nice boost. My strat got a bit confused with an initial focus on religion and thinking relics but eventually ended up using faith as a second currency for settler/builder/great people. I had a large army of samurai + supports rolling through at the mid game but sat back and played too passive and complacent after initial gains - likely could have shaved off several turns if I kept that army moving.

win.png

Attachments

• 6otM176_Japan_CulDip_King-win.Civ6Save
    3.4 MB · Views: 3
CV, t274, score – 2094 (no replays/reloads)

I`ve been playing Civilization since 1990s, but only recently I have found the GotM challenge, so that was my first try. It was much more fun then just playing against AI or taking official challenges embedded in the game, I enjoyed it :)

The strategy was to build up a big output of faith and gold, then to enter a golden age to get monumetality bonus to buy settlers and workers cheaply with faith/gold. Then to found as many cities as possible and to construct theater squares.

Also I had an idea to found a religion with triple tourism from relics and then to build St Michelle to gain a relic when an Apostle dies. But I lost the race for Stonehende and gave up that plan.

Towards midgame it was important to build Kilwa and to make as many city-state allies as possible (especially Kumasi + Antananarivu). I was lucky to build Apadana, so it was possible to produce a lot of envoys by building wonders in the capital city.

In the final phase of the game rock bands were useful. Overall, by 270 turn I was in future era both in terms of techs and civics.

Overall, I played peacefully except for 1) capturing a settler from Lahore and a settler from England in the beginning of the game 2) conquering Indonesia in mid-game. Retrospectively I think that if I had played more aggressive game and wiped out more civs, I would have achieved cultural victory earlier.2024-02-09_23-12-36.png2024-02-20_20-34-00.png2024-02-20_20-35-03.png

Attachments

• HOJO TOKIMUNE 274 1806 AD.Civ6Save
    3.7 MB · Views: 3
CV, t274, score – 2094 (no replays/reloads)

I`ve been playing Civilization since 1990s, but only recently I have found the GotM challenge, so that was my first try. It was much more fun then just playing against AI or taking official challenges embedded in the game, I enjoyed it :)
Welcome to CivFanatics and Game of the Month!! :wavey:

Thank you for sharing your game. :goodjob:

Whew, Diplomatic Victory on turn 383, beating the deadline by four minutes if I were on the West Coast! Egypt never really went anywhere so I gobbled up Ra-Kedet early on, which turned out to be my best city. Other than that I stayed friends with everyone all game.

Attachments

• AutoSave_0385.Civ6Save
    4.5 MB · Views: 1
This game is closed for submissions as time has run out.
You may continue to post here and attach saves if you wish. Results will include games above this post.

Hi there,

I enjoyed this game. Goal was to eliminate all civ's, but only one (with the smallest number of culture) and then outnumber this civ in culture. I managed an accidentally Conquest Victory at turn 130. My vessels were unstoppable. After my 'loss' (no cultural victory) I figured out that killing civ's isn't the best strategy. A fun game. Looking forward!

Hi there,

I enjoyed this game. Goal was to eliminate all civ's, but only one (with the smallest number of culture) and then outnumber this civ in culture. I managed an accidentally Conquest Victory at turn 130. My vessels were unstoppable. After my 'loss' (no cultural victory) I figured out that killing civ's isn't the best strategy. A fun game. Looking forward!
eliminate civs in a CV is counterproductive because iorder to get 1 tourist you need 200 tourism x number of starting civs.. with 6 stating civs this means you need to get 1200 toursim pr tourist and those count pr civ..... only take out a civ if it has really high culture, coz every time a civ produces 100 culture they get 1 domestic tourist, and you then have to get 1 more in order to win ofc this i only true for the leading civ

Top Bottom