[Complex] (7-NS) Buff Discipline and Cover promotion line

Status
Not open for further replies.

Anarcomu

King
Proposal :
Change how discipline (sword-man and above inherent promotion) and cover line works.

Current bonuses :
  • Discipline : +10% :c5strength: defense when defending against ranged attacks, +10 HP
  • Field works : +15% :c5strength: defense when defending against ranged attacks, +15 HP
  • Entrenchment: +20% :c5strength: defense when defending against ranged attacks, +20 HP
  • DFPs : +25% :c5strength: defense when defending against ranged attacks, +25 HP
  • Cover I & II : +25% :c5strength: defense when defending against ranged attacks
New bonuses :
  • Discipline : -10% damage taken from ranged attacks, +10 HP
  • Field works : -10% damage taken from ranged attacks, +15 HP
  • Entrenchment : -12% damage taken from ranged attacks, +20 HP
  • DFPs : -15% damage taken from ranged attacks, +25 HP
  • Cover I & II : +15% :c5strength: defense and -10% damage taken from ranged attacks
Rational :
This gives the cover and discipline promotion a new component (damage reduction) which help them standing out and feeling worth the promotion. The actual added CS defense is good, but in the end it drowns in all the other sources of CS you can get.

EDIT : added entrenchment promotion changes

MAGI: Complex proposal, DLL and database changes

Last edited by a moderator:
This is a big buff. -10% damage is way stronger than +10% CS. Also ew stacking negative modifiers.

As long as there are few modifiers, that is not a problem. Also keep in mind it is capped at -30% most of the game (-35% in the late game) on the melee line if you choose to spend two promotions for it. You won't reach higher tier promotion like march, mobility, logistic/blitz etc. for a long time.

But do melee units warrant a buff?

But do melee units warrant a buff?
To be honest, I have the "gold spend on heal" proposal in my head too. Since any damage you would take would translate to gold loss, reducing damage taken seems important.
Also keep in mind that this still delay other powerful promotions.

Further, I never take those promotions on my melee units, so I honestly don't know how good/bad it really is. If there is someone else which have a good experience to share, I definitely would appreciate that.

Cover is certainly good, according to @Stalker0, even though I always rush for the T4 promotions.

Problem of introducing a %damage reduction is that these promotions will have consistent power throughout the game while all other promotions fall off. I can see that as a free promotion on a unit line/UU/wonder, but not as a pickable promotion.

I like the bonus for Cover. Not sure it's needed for the others tho. Especially with the potential for additive stacking. Also don't think melee as an entire unit class needs the buff.
btw you forgot Entrenchments

Problem of introducing a %damage reduction is that these promotions will have consistent power throughout the game while all other promotions fall off. I can see that as a free promotion on a unit line/UU/wonder, but not as a pickable promotion.
Consistent power is already the case for specialized promotions. Amphibious will always be exactly as useful for crossing rivers. +1 range is never going to become less useful. -% damage from cities (the most parallel promotion to the proposal) is never going to fall off either.

Last edited:
Either way, +15% CS and -5% damage from ranged sounds more in line with the current version.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom