[Vote] (7-36) Promise Not to Attack Applies to Both Parties (Troops Near Border)

Include in VP?

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .

usadefcon1

Prince
Proposal:
If the question "Your troops are near my border, are you going to attack me?" results in a promise not to attack, then that promise applies to both parties.

Rationale:
There's currently no reason not to ask this question of your neighbors.
If war results then you get to attack first, and if there is peace then any attack on you results in backstabbing.
By making both parties commit to peace it creates some strategic thought into asking in the first place.

Last edited:
Proposal:
If the question "Your troops are near my border, are you going to attack me?" results in a promise not to attack, then that promise applies to both parties.

Rational:
There's currently no reason not to ask this question of your neighbors.
If war results then you get to attack first, and if there is peace then any attack on you results in backstabbing.
By making both parties commit to peace it creates some strategic thought into asking in the first place.
An interesting idea. This could be implemented fairly easily.

If anything, the current situation is just allowing the human to exploit the AI.
I see no counterargument to this one.

Yeah I think the AI already follows this. When they ask you it is a pretty good indication they aren't planning on attacking you. I don't think I've ever seen them declare war within ten turns of asking you.

Yeah I think the AI already follows this. When they ask you it is a pretty good indication they aren't planning on attacking you. I don't think I've ever seen them declare war within ten turns of asking you.
I got it several times, even several during same game, they ask not to attack them and some turns later they would DoW.

What I don't like about "Are you going to attack me?" is that it forces a promise, one way or the other. You can't just choose "No comment".

This is basically turning into a Non-Aggression Pact. Choosing not to enter that pact shouldn't immediately throw you into a war.

They definitely would.
What I don't like about "Are you going to attack me?" is that it forces a promise, one way or the other. You can't just choose "No comment".

This is basically turning into a Non-Aggression Pact. Choosing not to enter that pact shouldn't immediately throw you into a war.
The only thing I don't like about this is that it doesn't allow you to peek at the map before answering. What leader declares war without knowing what's on the field?

Im playing on 4.5.1 so not the current version but in my last game I got two wars this way where one of the wars was questionable and the other was flat out wrong (polynesia declared war on me after me asking when they didnt even have any troops anywhere near in position to either attack or defend against me, and he was already getting his ass whooped by the leading civ Indonesia). Since it isnt the current version it isnt of much worth but has anyone else seen weird DoW when asking this in the latest version too?

It is really exploitable, I got past defensive pacts by making them declare on me by this method and won both wars easily

My experience has been the exact opposite, more often than not they will dow me within 2 or 3 turns of asking, and literally every single time they ask and I then move my units away from the border I guess they're like "border no longer defended, time to war!"
Would love to see this mechanic reworked into a more of a nonagression pact as opposed to what we have now, a forced choice between war and unilateral restrictions for the receiver...

I sponsor this.

Top Bottom