The Battle of Groton Heights

GenMarshall

High Elven ISB Capt & Ghost Agent
Night Haven, Vekta, United Systems of Korpulu
The Battle of Groton Heights
The history of the battle that happen in Groton, CT in the American Reviloution

In many America history books I have noticed they have neglected to make note of a battle that has happened in Groton, Connecticut. The battle is known as The Battle of Groton Heights. I had to go through a whole lot of resources to get information about the battle itself.

During the American Revolutionary War, The New London harbor on the Thames River was a home port for many privately owned ships, many of them armed. They preyed upon the British merchant marine and supply ships. These privateers were licensed by the State of Connecticut. By 1781, the largest military structure on New London’s side is Fort Trumbull. Still unfinished and yet vulnerable to attack.

East of the river on Groton Heights, Fort Griswold commanded the harbor and the surrounding territory. The fort is square with protecting fortifications on the two corners. The Lower walls were faced with stone and were topped with a barrier of cedar pickets projecting outwards. A tunnel-like passage way led to a covered ditch which ended at a battery for the cannon southwest of the fort. There were barracks for 300 men inside the fort.

Late in the summer, British generals were eager to distract Washington. They decided to create a diversion by attacking an essential northern supply center of New London and destroy the “Rebel pirate ships” in a single blow. The command of this mission was given to the traitor, Benedict Arnold who deserted the American cause the year before. Benedict Arnold, being a native of Norwich, CT, knew the area very well.

At sunrise of September 6th, 1781, The people of New London were awakened with the news of a large force of British Regulars have landed on both sides of the river’s mouth and were moving up fast. The people could do absolutely nothing but evacuate and flee the town. A number of ships in the harbor were lucky and caught a breeze and escaped upstream. The 800 men armies that Arnold led were met with no resistance as they were tasked to destroy any of the stockpiles of goods and naval stores. Buildings, Wharfs and ships were down in flames. One hundred and forty-three building were all consumed by the flames.

Meanwhile, the British force of 800 men that has landed on the east side of the Thames River was slowed by tangled woodlands and swamplands. A battalion of New Jersey loyalist were responsible for moving the artillery, could not keep pace with the Regulars who came within striking range of Fort Griswold. The fort is garrisoned with about 150 militia and local men under the command of Colonel William Ledyard. He and his officers were expecting reinforcements to come soon. British Commander, Colonel Eyre had sent a flag demanding the surrender of Ft. Griswold. Col. Ledyard declined. Soon the same demand was sent again and this time Eyre threatened that “If he were to force to storm the fort, no quarter would be given to its defenders”. Col. Ledyard responded the same way as the first demand. Soon the British force began to spread there ranks and advanced to the fort. As they neared the ditch, they were met with artillery bombardment in witch killed and wounded many. Some tried to gain the southwest bastion but were repulsed. Colonel Eyre was badly wounded from the assault. Under heavy musket fire, another group removed some pickets and by hand-to-hand combat reached cannon and turned it against its own men. Another party, lead by Major Montgomery, lead a bayonet charge. Major Montgomery was killed in the charge. Few of the British Regulars made it to the gate and forced it open and marched in. Colonel Ledyard ordered his men to cease fire but fighting continued on both sides.

An account of Colonel Ledyard’s death varies between the Americans and the British. The American version states that after Ledyard gave up his sword in surrendered, he was immediately killed with his own sword and was followed by a massacre. The British version makes no mention of either the massacre or Ledyard’s death.

The aftermath of the battle, the British troops embarked leaving behind a small group to lay a gun powder trail from the magazine to the barracks and then torched it. The sabotage was failed when a patriot put the fire out. Arnold reported losses at 51 dead and 142 wounded. Fort Griswold was the scene of military preparations in at least four other wars

Bibliography:

• Pics and sources
  • http://www.revwar.com/2ndct/2ndphoto4.html
  • www.billmemorial.org

Nice job with this. I heard a whisper of it, but you're right, never saw it in any of my high school history books.

IIRC, Groton is now a submarine base.

I haven't ventured over there, even though it's close enough.

Looking at the article again, I'm thinking this battle gets overlooked because it wasn't on the scale of other battles, it was later in the war, and it wasn't a Ticonderoga-esque capture.

Either that our public education really glosses over the war, basically saying, okay there was Lexington and Concord, Ticonderoga, Syracuse, Washington's winter at Valley Forge, then all of a sudden, we're at Yorktown and the Americans won.

Same overlooking goes to the Battle of Brooklyn. Perhaps I should try something on this one.

Originally posted by The Yankee
IIRC, Groton is now a submarine base.

Living less then 6 miles from their, I can vouch for that ;)

I think it is one of the biggest submarine places on the East Coast.

Originally posted by The Yankee

Either that our public education really glosses over the war, basically saying, okay there was Lexington and Concord, Ticonderoga, Syracuse, Washington's winter at Valley Forge, then all of a sudden, we're at Yorktown and the Americans won.

Wow, they really do gloss over the war in school these days. Syracuse wasn't founded until the 1830s. There was no battle there. The nearest action was the Battle of the Oriskany and the siege of Fort Stanwix which took place near modern day Rome, NY about 40 miles east of Syracuse. You are probably thinking of Saratoga, one of the most pivotal battles in American history.

Saratoga! Right....My mind is so out there this week....Way too many problems, not enough time or energy, so I wind up going on the Internet to escape for a while. Now, I can't even get my facts straight!

But I still stand by the glossing over of the war.

Top Bottom