A few problems with a mod (Also, hi!)

DJ_Zapple

Chieftain
Probably dumb to start things off on these forums with posting a request for help (that's probably even in the wrong SECTION, and if it is, sorry! I'm new here...), but I figured I wouldn't get any further without some sort of assistance. So I made an account, and jumped in, to ask for help, and here's the deal.

I've been working on a civilization for a few days now (based off of Team Fortress 2; it was a pretty brilliant idea, I felt, and since no one else had done it, apparently, I figured I'd take up that mantle!). I feel I've made significant progress on it, since a lot of stuff is working just fine, apparently. There's a few major problems, though - problems that drove me to join this forum and ask for help. (Because usually I'm too shy to do anything like that...)

The first problem is this: when I activate the mod, and go into the civilization select menu, the scroll bar is gone. While it DOES appear in the menu for advanced select, I like picking from that menu first, so I know what I'm dealing with.

The second problem, which I feel is probably the worst/most frustrating, is this: the civilization does not use the icons I've made for it. It's REALLY frustrating to see it use Elizabeth as a leader, and America's icon as the civ icon, when it should show Saxton Hale and the TF2 logo respectively!

I'm honestly at a loss on what to do, so I'm turning to you guys for help. And I'm hoping and praying ya'll will help. I'll provide whatever you're going to ask for, be it the mod itself, or screenshots. I'm just not sure what to show right now, so yeah...

I hope someone can help me!

Attachments

• Mann Co Civilization.zip
    1.2 MB · Views: 29
Check these tutorials to see if you find your mistake(s)
  1. whoward69's what ModBuddy setting for what file types tutorial
  2. whoward69's DDS Texture (Image File) Creation and Usage for Beginners
  3. FramedArchitect's Icon and Screen Pixel Dimension Reference tutorial
  4. Making a custom Leader use Custom Music! (by Leugi)
Also there are these:
  1. whoward69's enable error logging tutorial
  2. Common Novice-Modder Mistakes (by LeeS)
  • Whoward's tutorial for error logging shows you how to activate an essential tool for debugging of broken mods. Just bear in mind the error logs will only report problems with XML / SQL / lua code -- they will not tell you the problem you have with the settings you used when you created an art file, however.
  • Also check through the ModBuddy Operation part of my guide/tutorial shown last on the list. Though the tutorial/guide is a bit WIP at the moment, it does cover a lot of common mistakes made in terms of Modbuddy settings and procedures.
And one last link: whoward69's zip your mods and attach tutorial. Always is good procedure to attach the mod when you can't find your mistake.

---------------------------------------------------

All that "boiler-platey" stuff out of the way, I'll note that the inability to scroll throuogh the list of leaders on the GameSet-Up menu is an indication that at least one civilization registered to the game does not have at least two unique components assigned to it. Logically, the most likely culprit is your civ. Most likely, one or other (or both) of your uniques is being discarded by the game because of code-errors, or is not properly assigned to your civ.

America's Icon is the go-to Icon when your civilization <PortraitIndex> & <IconAtlas> fail to be accepted by the game, or your icon is no good for some reason, etc. Not sure why you are getting Elizabeth.

You should definitely enable the logging system to give you more info on what is being discarded, and why. Also, see whowards tutorial that I linked (the bottom link in those above) on how to attach the version of the mod we need to look at to diagnose your problem.

There we go, I attached the mod to the first post. Glad someone's willing to help me with this.

Anyways, let's see. My custom civ is the only one I have activated, for ease of testing, so yeah, it's the problem. It SHOULD have two uniques put on it (a unit and a building), so I'm not 100% on what the mod's problem is there. >.< As for the failed icons, dunno why that'd be. I followed the guide I was using to a T, beyond the names the civ said to use. I replaced everything that should have been replaced...

It was hard to decide just what the uniques for Mann Co. should have been, so I picked the Medic, which is supposed to be an Industrial Era upgrade for a Mann Co Scout; as for a unique building, the Palace is supposed to be replaced by the Mann Co. HQ, which gives him his trait ability to produce +2 science with each building that actually produces science. They SHOULD be set right...

Edit: I just noticed that the .dds files didn't go in right when I changed it to v3. >.< So go figure.

This is attached to the mod but is not being given an action as <OnModActivated>, <UpdateDatabase> in ModBuddy.
Code:
    <File md5="DB55F357F01DFEF93D5770E6F97F897B" import="0">XML/GameInfo/IconTextureAtlases.xml</File>
Even if all the art files are done correctly, and there are no mistakes in the XML of your file, it's a moot point until you give this file an activation in ModBuddy. BTW, this is what is causing the icons to default to America, etc.

----------------------------------------------------------------

The should not be set as <OnModActivated>, <UpdateDatabase>. It should be set as "true" for Import Into VFS in ModBuddy.
Code:
      <UpdateDatabase>XML/GameInfo/SaxtonScene.xml</UpdateDatabase>
----------------------------------------------------------------

While there is technically nothing wrong with using this:
Code:
<GameData>
	<IconTextureAtlases>
		<Row>
			[color="red"]<Atlas>CIV_COLOR_ATLAS_LEGENDS</Atlas>[/color]
Everybody and their cousin uses the same atlas name the first time they make a mod. This can cause problems where 1+ mods are all using CIV_COLOR_ATLAS_LEGENDS.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

UNITAI_GENERAL is going to make the AI think that your unit is in some way a Great General, and when the civ is used as an AI player might cause conflicts. You should use the same UNITAI_ as a unit that most closely resembles the in-game function of your unit.

You do not have two uniques registered with the game as being attached to your civilization. You only have the unit. You must have the following for your Palace-Replacement building:
Code:
	<Civilization_BuildingClassOverrides>
		<Row>
			<CivilizationType>CIVILIZATION_MANN</CivilizationType>
			<BuildingClassType>BUILDINGCLASS_PALACE</BuildingClassType>
			<BuildingType>BUILDING_MANNCO</BuildingType>
		</Row>
	</Civilization_BuildingClassOverrides>

You may have other mistakes I did not see, but you should fix these before proceeding further.

Alright, I think I've fixed all the problems. (Except the unit AI for the Medic; I'm not sure what unit is going to avoid combat, but stick close to the others - that's what the Medic is supposed to do. I'll test it out and reply...

Edit: Alright, I made some of the changes. The scroll bar is still missing, but I saw that the Mann Co HQ building is now set. So... The Medic unit isn't marked as a unique, I take it?

Seems like the rest might be working though!

Right, I'm pretty sure it's almost fully fixed now. Everything is working like it's supposed to - EXCEPT the unit! For some reason, the game completely REMOVES the Scout, in lieu of simply replacing it! I'm definitely going to need some help fixing this... So I'll update the attachment. If you could help me fix this problem, then the mod should just about be golden, and ready for uploading... (Give or take a few civilopedia descriptions, and a reworked DoM deal.)

Also, what model would work best for a Medic class, anyhow? It's supposed to be a weak one that stays behind a more combat-oriented unit, healing them over time, and I'm not really sure how to make that happen, either... Should be good to use for the whole game, but only discoverable after a specific technology (Electricity, because TF2's Medi Gun is an electric device) is discovered. I thought I had that part worked out right, but apparently not. >.<

Note: I had to remove the music from the folder due to the 10 MB filesize limit.

You have a mismatch between the name of the unique medic unit and your Civilization_UnitClassOverrides. In the Civ5Units file, the Mann Medic is called:

Code:
<Type>UNIT_[COLOR="Red"]MANN[/COLOR]_MEDIC</Type>

But in the Civilization file, the override is:

Code:
<UnitType>UNIT_MEDIC</UnitType>

So, the game is looking for UNIT_MEDIC to apply to the Civilization, but it isn't finding that unit since you haven't defined it anywhere.

And I now feel like a complete moron. Beginner's mistake! >.<

Thanks for pointing it out. Gonna fix it.

Edit: For some reason, it still isn't working right, even though I did exactly as you said. This is a real headache...

Top Bottom