A few small questions

Warden123

Warlord
First- How many think it to be possible to make a tech web in civ 5, with custom techs?
I heard somewhere that civ 5 and civBE have the same engine, but how much of the tech tree is hard coded?

Secondly, what are the limits to reskinning national wonders? Is it just color? Or can I make a new skin for a natural wonder that contains 3d art from, say, a wonder too?

Thanks everyone!

First- How many think it to be possible to make a tech web in civ 5, with custom techs?
I heard somewhere that civ 5 and civBE have the same engine, but how much of the tech tree is hard coded?

The tech tree isn't hard-coded, it's all in the database. However, the UI to display the tech tree is badly coded and makes several assumptions about the techs and connections in the tree.

The CivBE tech tables are different to the CivV tech tables (BE doesn't use "prereqs" but "connections" and "leafnodes"), but you could probably replicate the functionality with the CivV "and" and "or" prereqs.

The UI would be a major challenge, as CivBE has a new UI component (DragPanel) especially for the tech web to support bi-directional scrolling with mouse drag, so you'd be trying to either replicate that functionality with standard scroll panels (and bi-directional scrolling is a major pita in V) or trying to get the tech web to fit on a single screen

so V has no bi dierctional scroll if I understand you right? could I just have a scroll at the x axis and the Y axis, and make it that way? and the UI... So could I instead of having it branch of in every other direction have it branch off like this?

/ / /
/ / /
----------------------
\ \ \
\ \ \

I think you get the idea..... or have it like this

| | | | | | | | | | | | | | |

And how about the natural wonders?

Ok, can I make them techs pan out like a fan? Diagram 1.

Or,vmake a central tech line with other daughter tech lines off of it vertically?

Top Bottom