A suicidal mission!

Uniform Sierra

Warlord
Hey leaders of nations! ;)

Last night I wanted to try something fun. I started a King level Pangaea as Ramesses II and and tried to survive as long as possible with only ONE city! Needless to say that Siam jerk grew to an insane size and went to war with me when he didn't need to.

So for over 100 turns I held back his huge empire with pikemen, crossbowmen, and a longswordsman.

This was an epic struggle for survival and one military mistake could end my game.

I got 8 wonders while he only had 4. My production and gold income was insane at times. I strung golden ages together a lot.

Just wanted to share this with you.

He would ask insane amounts of gold and resources from me to end the war and I eventually gave in to his demands when tanks started rolling in and all I had was longswordsmen. I beat the crap out of his tank then gave in to like a 700 gold + resources peace treaty.

So, is there any way I can beat this guy now that he has tanks?

Attachments

• epic sauce 2.jpg
    epic sauce 2.jpg
    206.9 KB · Views: 611
  • epic sauce.jpg
    epic sauce.jpg
    186.8 KB · Views: 660
The trick is to not get into a war with him to begin with. I think you're pretty screwed if you do actually go to war again. You could try catching up in terms of tech (research agreements!), and then upgrade all your units, which would give you a better chance in the event of another war, but avoidance of conflict is obviously the best strategy.

I'm unsure how exactly you'd go about avoiding a conflict seeing as you've already had a war; diplomatic work is required from the outset.

Can you get Liz and/or Cathy to go to war with Siam?

Well, he went to war with me when he was in "Friendly" mode and we were trading gems and stuff anyway. I asked for friendship with him and despite being "Friendly" he didn't accept.

Diplomacy fails in this game.

Anyway, like the title says, it's suicidal so I'm basically holding out as long as I can.

When you're playing games like this the number one diplo goal is to not get into a war with your big powerful neighbor. But, now that you've been in one you're in trouble.

You said that Ramalamadingdong declared on you while he was in Friendly status. Question- once the war was over did your diplo status with him go back to Friendly? He provides a buffer, it seems from what I can see on the map, between you and the other civs on your landmass. You're best bet would be to try and get him to go to war with Cathy. It is probably pretty likely that he has bad relations with her already as they share large borders.

If I was you, I'd denounce Cathy and see if Elizabeth and Ramma come and say 'Glad that someone else hates Russia'. You might be able to get them to gang up on her. But for next time when you play a game like this, concentrate from the start on directing the attention of your large neighbor elsewhere from early on.

Diplomacy fails in this game.

Once again a vast oversimplification....

obviously snarzberry has no problems with it... I have no problems with, many other players can manage diplo fine....

So diplomacy doesn't "FAIL"....

I'm pretty sure there is some way for you to make him attack others.

Also in terms of tech, if you get a lot of gold, and you want a research agreement but nobody has enough gold for it, maybe you can donate some gold (lump sum) and then later ask for a research agreement. With enough gold you should be able to string enough of them to catch up in tech.

Once again a vast oversimplification....

obviously snarzberry has no problems with it... I have no problems with, many other players can manage diplo fine....

So diplomacy doesn't "FAIL"....

Well I haven't seen any of the civilizations have half a brain in diplomacy, so please explain yourself.

Also, Calvin & Hobbes = win I had the collectors edition of all comics in 3 nice hard-bound books.

Well I haven't seen any of the civilizations have half a brain in diplomacy, so please explain yourself.

Also, Calvin & Hobbes = win I had the collectors edition of all comics in 3 nice hard-bound books.

In cIV diplo was way too easy... pick your friends... they stay friends... pick your enemies then gang up on them.... if you got too far behind, form a PA with the biggest kid on the block FTW....

ciV diplo is imperfect... for one I'd like to see denouncements be revokable and DoF's with a time limit...

but I and many other players still have no problem with "bizarre" diplo behavior.... if I'm overrunning the world I get labeled a warmonger.... if I steal CS allies, I pizz off whomever i stole from....

Is there some randomness built in? yes there is... and that's fine too...

My point being that if some people can control diplo behavior in ciV, then anybody CAN... it's just a matter of learning the techniques... and the fact that i diplo is less "do the math" now is a blessing I think....

And coolness on the C&H.... I don't have them in hardcover but I think I have all the paperbacks... including all the compilations

I would beeline tech to rifleman. I would retreat behind the river, attacking across river gives penalities that way any attack is funneled to a very small area, remember 300. Also, can you wipe out Vienna and then attack from the south with the city with 29 defense, if you can make headway, you will not have a exposed border and then surround Nakhom Chum. Can you post a game save, I would like to try this out.

I did a one city challenge a while ago on King. I didn't get declared on the whole game. You need to use the diplomacy to your advantage. Sometimes war can't be avoided, but it usually can.

Did you built any citadels ? Build lots of them with your Great Generals & then Siam would be DEAD if they attack you. ! ;)

In cIV diplo was way too easy... pick your friends... they stay friends... pick your enemies then gang up on them.... if you got too far behind, form a PA with the biggest kid on the block FTW....

ciV diplo is imperfect... for one I'd like to see denouncements be revokable and DoF's with a time limit...

but I and many other players still have no problem with "bizarre" diplo behavior.... if I'm overrunning the world I get labeled a warmonger.... if I steal CS allies, I pizz off whomever i stole from....

Is there some randomness built in? yes there is... and that's fine too...

My point being that if some people can control diplo behavior in ciV, then anybody CAN... it's just a matter of learning the techniques... and the fact that i diplo is less "do the math" now is a blessing I think....

And coolness on the C&H.... I don't have them in hardcover but I think I have all the paperbacks... including all the compilations

Well it's still not really defined how CIV AI works. Sometimes they switch to friendly right before a war. I once saw AIs who were all guarded become friendly and I was like "WTF?" then they all DOW and it was like "Oh, cool." BUT...

I don't like how their reasons change. I meet an AI on another continent after I committed atrocities on my continent. Does he know that I committed atrocities? At first he doesn't, but later on in the game, even if I don't go to war again... he will switch to "Your warmongering is lame." Is that just a bug, or does he know the whole time that I am a murdering warmonger? Do other civs tell him? Since the AI sims a great leader playing Civ V, does the AI read that the cities are not named after cities from Civs cities list?

There needs to be some ways to get breathing room and win a won game without having to deal with schizos. There needs to be a way to repair damaged relations. I am denounced by a friend for building a couple wonders? Lame.

Overall though, I want more player control of AI. I liked religious divisions. I always wanted my religion to be the most adopted, and when I had to adopt someone else's it was irritating. Even when I adopted it, it wasn't really great and didn't guarantee no problems for the remainder of the game. Also, the idea that Napoleon would play a video game is ridiculous. But here we have programmers programming Napoleon to win a video game. He's not Napoleon. He's Napoleon playing Civ V.

[Also, about the AIs switching from guarded to friendly before DOW... one of them I brutalized to only one city. One of his feelings towards me read "You have been at war in the past, but there aren't any ill-feelings." That was cool. I want more of that. But then that AI DOW with the rest so I kill that city.]

Top Bottom