Afterworld gripe

Whiskey_Lord

Deity
After seeing the screenshots for this scenario, I was pretty stoked about it. That stokey feeling slowly turned to disappointment as I played though. Well, I should say it quickly turned to disappointment since I couldn't even bring myself to finish the first level. Now, I like the whole concept of having a tactical combat scenario for BTS. This felt more like Pool of Radiance 2: Ruins of Myth Drannor because it was more like a hack 'n' slash type of game and less like anything 'tactical.' All you're characters are doing is cutting down wave after wave of enemies and grabbing power-ups while the damn mission objectives keep changing, which is probably supposed to make it more interesting but really it just feels tedious. The level culminates in a giant Alamo-style clusterf*** in which Savage Bleeders attack the party in seemingly endless waves while one of your characters has to wade through a smaller yet equally tiresome gauntlet of enemies. It ends up being a souped-up version of Space Invaders where you're desperately trying to slaughter everything without being overwhelmed. The backdrop of the game is very cool and imaginative, but the gameplay certainly is not.

[/Rant]

I sort of agree. I was able to win one Afterworld game, and that was only by cheating. Not cheating as in using the Worldbuilder, but cheating as in using certain abilities to blow up walls and sneak around huge groups of Savage Bleeders.

I agree it gets tiring going around and blowing everything up. However, as you get further into the scenario, there is some "tactical combat." But it's still not that good.

I will say this: it was a noble effort to do something different in Civ4 and it broke some ground. I was also impressed with the presentation and overall quality of the scenario. What it really lacked in my opinion was depth of the units. At the start they are all identical save one, who is only different because of a +2 Strength. I know you can customize the units to give them specialties, which is one "tactical" aspect of the game, but the units really should have been given some more unique traits from the beginning, something none of the other units had or could gain through promotions.

Top Bottom