AI Bonuses at Different Difficulty Levels

Yes, AI plays on Chieftain level.

Find the GlobalAIDefines.xml, find the node written below, and change its value to HANDICAP_PRINCE.

Code:
	<PostDefines>
		<Row Name="AI_HANDICAP">
			<Key>HANDICAP_CHIEFTAIN</Key>
			<Table>HandicapInfos</Table>
		</Row>
	</PostDefines>

Give it a try, I'm wondering whether the game becomes more balanced and remains challenging at the same time.

Unfortunately, the game gets ridiculously easy if you set AI_HANDICAP to prince. AI needs a lot of help to be a "challenge". Frustrating, but true.

If you start a game in team with deity AI you'll notice that growth and production is cut almost by half. There is no way it could be only 22% reduction (130%*0.6=78%).

Also, what about culture. Deity sure has lower costs of policies, just as when you play at settler.

And a question: do changes in this table affect the game?

S C W P K E I D
--- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---
Worldtrain% 160 130 110 100 100 100 100 100
WorldConstruct% 160 130 110 100 100 100 100 100
Create% 160 130 110 100 85 80 65 50
WorldCreate% 160 130 110 100 100 100 100 100
Inflation% 100 90 80 80 80 80 80 80
AdvStart% 100 100 100 100 120 135 150 170
PerEraModifier 0 0 0 0 -2 -3 -4 -5
StartSETTLER 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1
StartEXPUnits 0 0 0 0 0 1 1 1

These are the ones I do not understand. I heard that on Deity the AIs start with 2 Settlers, why does this chart seem to disagree? The others I cannot make any sense of and do not appear to have been explained in-thread unless I have misread somepin or other.

Anyone can help?

I just meant how the AI plays on "Chieftain" unless I mod it not to?

Find the GlobalAIDefines.xml, find the node written below, and change its value to HANDICAP_PRINCE.

Code:
	<PostDefines>
		<Row Name="AI_HANDICAP">
			<Key>HANDICAP_CHIEFTAIN</Key>
			<Table>HandicapInfos</Table>
		</Row>
	</PostDefines>

It's located in:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\sid meier's civilization v\Assets\Gameplay\XML\AI

(though the part before the bold will differ depending on how you bought it and what OS you have)

^
Probably a little misleading. It's playing with Human level Chieftan bonuses.

Below shows the chieftain bonuses for human players. But AI always plays with these bonuses, but they DONT play at this level. They also lose/reverse penalties applied to them when you scale up the difficulty.

Code:
  <Type>HANDICAP_CHIEFTAIN</Type> 
  <Description>TXT_KEY_HANDICAP_CHIEFTAIN</Description> 
  <Help>TXT_KEY_HANDICAP_CHIEFTAIN_HELP</Help> 
  <StartingLocPercent>50</StartingLocPercent> 
  <AdvancedStartPointsMod>130</AdvancedStartPointsMod> 
  <HappinessDefault>12</HappinessDefault> 
  <ExtraHappinessPerLuxury>1</ExtraHappinessPerLuxury> 
  <NumCitiesUnhappinessMod>60</NumCitiesUnhappinessMod> 
  <PopulationUnhappinessMod>60</PopulationUnhappinessMod> 
  <Gold>0</Gold> 
  <GoldFreeUnits>0</GoldFreeUnits> 
  <ProductionFreeUnits>7</ProductionFreeUnits> 
  <ProductionFreeUnitsPopulationPercent>50</ProductionFreeUnitsPopulationPercent> 
  <ProductionFreeUnitsPerCity>3</ProductionFreeUnitsPerCity> 
  <RouteCostPercent>50</RouteCostPercent> 
  <UnitCostPercent>67</UnitCostPercent> 
  <BuildingCostPercent>67</BuildingCostPercent> 
  <ResearchPercent>95</ResearchPercent> 
  <PolicyPercent>67</PolicyPercent> 
  <ImprovementCostPercent>100</ImprovementCostPercent> 
  <CityProductionNumOptionsConsidered>4</CityProductionNumOptionsConsidered> 
  <TechNumOptionsConsidered>4</TechNumOptionsConsidered> 
  <PolicyNumOptionsConsidered>4</PolicyNumOptionsConsidered> 
- <!-- <InflationPercent>70</InflationPercent>
  -->

Edit: to guess an answer the inflation question, it's probably how the AI factors GPT trades. If inflation is 100 (settler), it will happily give you 300 gold for 10 GPT all things the same. If it's 80, it would give you 240 for 10GPT, all things the same.

The way that works is half-assed because the same discount applies when the AI is buying. It will give you 240 for a luxury but less than 8gpt. It should prefer the defered payment because (a) it may not have to make all the payments and (b) money has a time value.

I still don't get it, if all AIs play on cheftian what is the point of going up difficulty if they always get cheftian bonuses?

I guess WorldCreate and WorldConstruct may be related to Wonders of the World construction. As you can see the AI doesn't receive bonuses (100) for them, even at the highest levels. As a builder I completely agree!. So you have chances to build any World Wonder at Deity (if you survive AI's Dows and carpet of doom first).

I still don't get it, if all AIs play on cheftian what is the point of going up difficulty if they always get cheftian bonuses?

The idea of the higher levels is to make a more difficult game for the human, not the computer.

The idea of the higher levels is to make a more difficult game for the human, not the computer.

Right. It seems if you're on Prince, all of the AIs pick Chieftain. Imagine an online game where you picked Prince and everyone else picked Chieftain. So you're alone in having no bonuses; it is not "fair" as advertised. If you play on higher difficulties, they get further bonuses on top of the bonuses they get for playing on Chieftain(?)

Strangely, I tried editing the HANDICAP_CHIEFTAIN value, setting it to SETTLER and PRINCE. In both cases, the game crashed immediately upon clicking "play game".

Even now, after changing it back to CHIEFTAIN, it just crashes. What gives?

Edit: Or rather, how can I edit the XML files without crashing the game? It would be interesting to play with the AIs on Settler/Prince, as a point of comparison.

Strangely, I tried editing the HANDICAP_CHIEFTAIN value, setting it to SETTLER and PRINCE. In both cases, the game crashed immediately upon clicking "play game".

Even now, after changing it back to CHIEFTAIN, it just crashes. What gives?

Edit: Or rather, how can I edit the XML files without crashing the game? It would be interesting to play with the AIs on Settler/Prince, as a point of comparison.

That would be interesting.
It seems that if you change it to Settler and in-game puts on Deity it would be more difficult than just setting on Deity. Is this correct?

I suspect the xml file was corrupted. Either copy your backup (you made one right?) or else use steam verify cache.

You can set it to any legal value found in the handicap value; which all start with HANDICAP.

Avoid editors that do weird things to line returns.

This is not recommended anymore. After BNW, AI has its own specific level, which is well balanced with the new features of BNW and the new AI.

As for how it works, the overall difficulty level is a combination of two factors: the Ai's level of play and the human level. The game reads the values of each variable from the AI handicap block, and then multiplies each value again by the values read from the AI section of the human handicap block (the lower part of the block).

This is not recommended anymore. After BNW, AI has its own specific level, which is well balanced with the new features of BNW and the new AI.

As for how it works, the overall difficulty level is a combination of two factors: the Ai's level of play and the human level. The game reads the values of each variable from the AI handicap block, and then multiplies each value again by the values read from the AI section of the human handicap block (the lower part of the block).

Yes; it's better with BNW to just directly mod the AI handicap file under the AI default handicap section if like I do you think the AI's happiness handicap is still more than it needs to be. The high expansion flavor AIs really need that science boost in that section to offset them not even building a library in all their cities.

Top Bottom