AI Proposes something bad for its own Civ

amphreded

Chieftain
Venice adopted Order. He proposed World Ideology: Freedom, which was my ideology (no other civ has adopted Freedom). Why would he do that? I meant it was great, I played against other 6 Order civs and 1 Autocracy civ and was lacking behind in tourism so I had a lot of unhappiness generated from public opinion. I had the most CS allies and thus was able to pass Freedom as World Ideology, which effectively turned my game around.
Why would Venice proposed something detrimental to himself and also his friends (the other 4 Order civs made DoF with him). I also was a friend with him - the only negative modifier we have is the differing ideology, and I have helped him a lot in the past. Is he proposing Freedom as World Ideology out of our good friendship or was it a mistake on the AI? When the voting came, he didn't put a single delegate toward what he proposed.

ive seen the AI propose nonsensical things and then ignore them in voting as well. This however is pretty strange considering he had order and so did 4 of his allies. Part of his grand scheme? Or maybe enrico is just programmed to always propose freedom since it makes good sense for venice?

This was on Immortal. I thought it was strange. I've completed more than 10 immortal/deity games and this is the first time the AI does something so detrimental to its own Civ on the world congress. It's almost like Venice mis-clicked his proposal though it's probably a bug of some sort.

Funny, this was something I did on my last game. At least that one was intentional. This is very strange indeed.

I've seen AI propose Science funding and then immediately come and tell you how happy they are that you've proposed Arts funding, followed by voting for the latter rather than the former, but I've never seen anything this weird.

Venice adopted Order. He proposed World Ideology: Freedom, which was my ideology (no other civ has adopted Freedom). Why would he do that? I meant it was great, I played against other 6 Order civs and 1 Autocracy civ and was lacking behind in tourism so I had a lot of unhappiness generated from public opinion. I had the most CS allies and thus was able to pass Freedom as World Ideology, which effectively turned my game around.
Why would Venice proposed something detrimental to himself and also his friends (the other 4 Order civs made DoF with him). I also was a friend with him - the only negative modifier we have is the differing ideology, and I have helped him a lot in the past. Is he proposing Freedom as World Ideology out of our good friendship or was it a mistake on the AI? When the voting came, he didn't put a single delegate toward what he proposed.

Tell me, did he have cultural pressure from you as Freedom? If he had, maybe he would switch to Freedom, so he proposed it?

If I get ideology before any other AI, I would always propose my WI to WC, because they don't complain to it when they pick ideologies after, since they don't have one during the turns you propose it. :D

this is the first time the AI does something so detrimental to its own Civ on the world congress.

Don't forget this post-patch classic: Bismarck who shoots himself in the foot by proposing an Embargo on trade with CS....

It's only a semi-bug, as every time he did that he did so before getting getting his Hanse and spent each session after trying to have this proposal repealed (which was hilarious, I must admit), but that's still very annoying to see a potentially competitive AI self-destroy like this, and that they haven't programmed the Civs to avoid proposing/vote the sensible way on UA-related proposals, active or upcoming. The human player sure does...

Maybe he is trying to make friends with the order civs.

He may also have calculated that World Ideology Freedom will affect more his Order/Autocracy rivals than him. It's all about numbers for the AI, after all.

I happen to have done that calculation in one of my games (not by choice at first). I miscalculated that this would be an "all Order" game as the three leading civs were wide and heavy on science and rather peaceful if extremely strong, and I picked it early myself, to my grief.

I had proposed it as WI when no one but me had one. But my three huge and strong friends went Autocracy, and I was fearing the chain denouncements and DoW coming soon. I switched to Autocracy to avoid that and the unhappiness from pressure I was getting (which mostly reduced my culture for SP by undermining Fine Arts), but I had bought many delegates and Order would most likely still pass.... I looked at the numbers and I finally voted Yea too... Two points of pressure were better than the 6 I had from the Autocrats... especially that they now would protect me from those two points.... I had very high happiness as Venice (+50) often does. My Autocrat fellows, however, did not. They found themselves at Dissidents or Civil Resistance for the rest of the game, almost always in the negative total happiness but above -20, so they never switched. That slowed their growth and thus the expansion of their science too, that slowed their will to expand/grow/conquer as they could go into Revolution if they did and that negated their Rationalism opener bonus (reducing their science ouput by 10%), and that negated the effects of Fine Arts by which 50% excess happiness is added to culture.

Perhaps the AI is able to make these calculations too. Perhaps proposing Freedom as WI was the resolution that benefited Venice the most, if picking Order helped its rivals more than itself. The AI often seems to pick its resolutions based on the harm it does others, perhaps because the benefits are not all that often bigger than the harm some resolutions can do to others, so the greater benefit to gain is with the harm you do.

I noticed the resolutions are often aimed at the human when you're in the lead, but when you're behind they tend to target either the civ's worst enemy or else the current leaders (I got used to significant leads as I played on King since BNW, but returning to Emperor I noticed the game evolves with significant differences when you spend most of it as a mid ranking or lower Civ).

He may also have done it out of spite. The AI seems to get a factor if other AI or you voted against its resolution previously. They tell you they'll go against your interests too in the future, and often their next resolution targets your directely (ban, embargo etc.). Presumably, this happens between AI as well. It might have proposed Freedom because one or more of the Order civs pissed him off in previous votes.

Top Bottom