AI Teammates

Arcaian

Warlord
Hey guys! :)

I just finished an immortal game as the Inca, and decided I'd try playing the game with a team mate, I'd only ever done it for multiplayer (on a side note, teams make science go ridiculously fast).

Naturally, I was matched with Ethiopia who proceeded to fail about as hard as a bad AI fails. He managed to get 3 wonders, when wonder spamming, and two of them were because literally no-one else built it. It was fine though, I held up the team and we did end up winning. It was just incredibly infuriating with a weak AI team member; it may be better with a strong one. I don't know if they plan on working on this, but they really should. It doesn't just affect human and AI teams (although this is when it is most notable), but also AI teams.

The game was a standard Pangea, 2v2v2. Inca and Ethiopia vs Austria and Carthage vs Siam and Denmark. Random teams gives a bit of a weird combo. Problem was, throughout the game any diplomacy any of the AI made was automatically carried over to every other AI/me. An example of this is Austria became a powerhouse mid-game, and bordered Ethiopia, so they declared war. They would never have declared on me (having both a size, production, military and technology lead on her), but 'unintentionally' did. This dragged Carthage into a war with me, and I proceeded to crush her largest production city and take it for my own, and gave me artillery/bomber/nuke range right to Carthage's capital. Carthage would definitely have never declared on me. Additionally for early game Siam was rank 1 by some margin, but surrounded by both Austria and Carthage. The Danes at that time were more powerful than Austria, and so declared war on Austria, dragging Siam into a war with both Carthage and Austria, losing them two of their 4 cities. Again, Siam would never have declared that war. This should really be changed.

TL;DR:

AI don't take into account their team mates when declaring war, leading to many situations where the AI/human team mates can get heavily damaged when they wouldn't have declared the war normally. This should be changed so both AI must judge the war to be beneficial before declaring, or the majority in cases of > 2 team members. Same thing goes for if a human is there.

P.S. Should you get a diplomatic penalty for something you have no choice over? My example here was me trading with Carthage and Austria, had DoF'd both of them, then Ethiopia DoFs Denmark, accepts a bribe to DoW on Carthage/Austria and forever ruins my relations. Probably should be changed as well, hey?

Yeah, AI teammates can be incredibly infuriating most of the time. I had one game where Assyria kept building Siege Towers and had more trouble with the barbarians than with his neighbors. The science "boost" is fun though but to be honest, I don't find it worth it.

Can't say I want a change though. It's pretty good for actual multiplayer matches where your teammates don't hinder you at all, even when declaring war.

Yeah, AI teammates can be incredibly infuriating most of the time. I had one game where Assyria kept building Siege Towers and had more trouble with the barbarians than with his neighbors. The science "boost" is fun though but to be honest, I don't find it worth it.

Can't say I want a change though. It's pretty good for actual multiplayer matches where your teammates don't hinder you at all, even when declaring war.

Teaming is great for MP, but if you are on a team with a friend you have to have the AI on a team, otherwise your science will just dominate them. That means the AI then do stupid things like my OP says to each other. It should be pretty simple to code, hey? There's already a 'judgement' over whether or not war is good for the civ (when it decides to war), so if it is clearly bad for the civ, make sure the team doesn't war.

Eh, not a massive thing anyway, just thought it'd be a quick and useful improvement for multiplayer matches.

I don't think I'd ever trust the AI in a team up. Problem is, they just can't seem to work out relationships involving 3 or more people. For example, Attila kills of three of my city state allies, and then gets confused why I don't want to be his friend anymore (true story). And then my other allied city state then gets attacked by Babylon, who is friendly to me?

Of course, you hurt one AI civ, and they'll all come up and gang up on you?! I know there's been improvements lately, but I'm kinda kinda tired of the anti-human tree house these guys have :p

Top Bottom