All Things Star Trek

I completely forgot Discovery was a thing. The new season just started. I watched the first episode and it is certainly pretty. However, I noticed the hard turn into nostalgia pandering. And despite that hard turn, they're still maintaining their previous commitment to the "rule of cool" for visuals and scenes, so the essence of Star Trek takes a backseat to what is essentially an action movie.

Spoiler :
So we get references to self-sealing stembolts, jumja sticks, and Soong androids, but we still get stuck with Michael doing somersaults in space and spaceships doing synchronized swimming headfirst into a planet.

I completely forgot Discovery was a thing. The new season just started. I watched the first episode and it is certainly pretty. However, I noticed the hard turn into nostalgia pandering. And despite that hard turn, they're still maintaining their previous commitment to the "rule of cool" for visuals and scenes, so the essence of Star Trek takes a backseat to what is essentially an action movie.

Spoiler :
So we get references to self-sealing stembolts, jumja sticks, and Soong androids, but we still get stuck with Michael doing somersaults in space and spaceships doing synchronized swimming headfirst into a planet.
And this thing is still pretending to be a TOS PREQUEL? Given that some of what's mentioned doesn't come along until a century AFTER the TOS movies?

And people wonder why I despise this show? (there are many reasons, but you've just given me another one)

And this thing is still pretending to be a TOS PREQUEL? Given that some of what's mentioned doesn't come along until a century AFTER the TOS movies?

And people wonder why I despise this show? (there are many reasons, but you've just given me another one)

It hasn't been a prequel since the season 2 finale, IIRC. Since then, they've been 900+ years in the future (or however far away the 32nd century is). I'm not spoilering that since it's a key part of their public marketing now.

So much for "seamlessly meshing" with TOS, then, as the showrunners bragged when it started. :lol:

The Star Trek store will beginning selling Star Trek themed coffee in May -- including raktajino.

Presumably this is legit, and not a scam like that jerk tried with Axanar? (as per that tens of thousands of comments-long thread at TrekBBS in the fan film subforum)

Presumably this is legit, and not a scam like that jerk tried with Axanar? (as per that tens of thousands of comments-long thread at TrekBBS in the fan film subforum)
Yep. It's from the actual store. I was hunting for Strange New Worlds stuff, but all of it appears to be missing La'an...

That's the cartoon one?

That's the cartoon one?
One of them. Although the other one got canceled too. Heh.

It's the one with the Cerritos, comedy. Universally well received. It got canceled by executives because "long-term shows don't bring in new streaming subscribers." Riveting thought process that won't backfire on them in any way.

It's a little funny too because they just did the live-action crossover episode with Strange New Worlds and everyone loved it. Now's the time to lean into it. But, uh. No. I guess not.

Long-term doesn't bring new subscribers?

That's stupid. Not that I have any plans to reactivate my subscription to CTV SciFi (or whatever they call it now), but there are many shows that I joined the fandom late and took a deep dive and love them now.

You want long-term bringing in new people (or bringing back old people)? CBC Gem started up Downton Abbey again. It was on for awhile, then dropped, and now it's back. That show went 6 seasons, several Christmas specials, 2 movies, and a Downton Abbey/Star Wars charity crossover video that's on YouTube. Obviously CBC doesn't mind long-term.

(if only they'd show The Beachcombers... I'd probably be glued to the website for weeks and never come up except for food, bathroom, and taking care of Maddy)

Top Bottom