Alpha Centauri Audio+Video Album - a li'l 25th anniversary tribute

Cruisin' along to 10 : Nautilus Pirates.

Svensgaard's oft self-congratulatory montone is broken up by terrific passages from Melville and Verne. And Spartans had way too many project movies, so it's only fitting that the Pirates helped themselves to the one that's righfully theirs.

Last edited:
A specter is haunting Planet, the specter of 11 : The Free Drones.

Even with a long-ish secret project movie, and padded with quotes about industry and the good life, the Drones' video is the shortest of them all... so I added something to it, to honor the working classes. One basic building-block of the universe, whose understanding is fundamental for both creation and destruction of everything, isn't a fancy bit of physics theory - it's our labor, which we choose whether and how to employ.

Last edited:
12 : The Data Angels? I don't know who you're talking about.

True to their imperceptible form, there's little to work with for the Ⓐngels. There are no quotes from, say, Richard Stallman or Assata Shakur that would fit their style. There is, though, a main game project movie tailor-made for them, making them the only SMAC-X human faction with two cinematics - and a late game rumination that's pure jazz.

Last edited:
The adherents of 13 : The Cult of Planet are worming their way through the fungus.

The first sect to originate on Planet delivers the coda to the game's human factions - Cha-Dawn's fanatic sermons join Coleridge's and Neitzsche's trippy pronouncements, and the result is fittingly deranged.

Glad people are finding this, and from my ol' neck of the woods at that. I'm posting all the vids over at https://twitter.com/zombivozikombi in the coming days, too.

Last edited:
The first sect to originate on Planet delivers the coda to the game's human factions - Cha-Dawn's fanatic sermons join Coleridge's and Neitzsche's trippy pronouncements, and the result is fittingly deranged.

Glad people are finding this, and from my ol' neck of the woods at that. I'm posting all the vids over at https://twitter.com/zombivozikombi in the coming days, too.

It seems SMAC is surprisingly popular in our neck of the woods ;)

By the way, thanks for the videos! It's great to have the quotes and secret project videos presented in such a clean and organized manner. Also, they make for a nice ambient soundscape while working :)

It seems SMAC is surprisingly popular in our neck of the woods ;)

By the way, thanks for the videos! It's great to have the quotes and secret project videos presented in such a clean and organized manner. Also, they make for a nice ambient soundscape while working :)

Nema problema, glad you're enjoying it! Creating a soundscape is in fact one reason why I put this together. I played this compilation as background for work once or twice and said, well ok, but - even while there is morbid beauty to hearing like 17 torture screams in quick succession - the barely-organized sequence is too jarring, I also want the ambient, and I want the brain vibes that come from clustering the clips by faction personality and story.

Overall it was an absurdly escapist misuse of time more wisely spent on other tasks, but I did teach myself quite a bit about graphics & video editing ... and got some intriguing sideways glimpses into the dusty offices of Firaxis in late 1990s - the time I worked as a developer as well.

Looking forward to your University video!

The 14 : Progenitors appear to sense that their time has come.

Caretakers and Usurpers : joined in mutual hate : lines between them blurred. Resonance : comes not from individual clips : rather video as whole. Implied narrative : circular : simple and pleasing even in brief compilation.

Reuploaded all SMAC-X vids last evening and this morning with minor, too-pedantic-to-discuss text corrections. Then, this afternoon, The Cult of Planet seemingly tripped something in the YouTube algorithm, and got 75 views over 90 minutes. In comparison, most of the other vids languish at less than 10, many of these just from me reviewing (and admiring) my work :lol:. It'll be interesting to see if this happens again.

Last edited:
Happy 25th birthday, SMAC!

Whichever faction you play, whatever path to victory you choose, there's only ever one winner - 15 : Planet.

Drafted the Planet video fairly early on, coz it was clear I'd need to do something more than just string quotes and movies. Quite pleased with the result, and I hope you like it too. Please watch to the end :cool:

Last edited:
@Blake00 Thank you so much, glad you like it!

Beautiful quality footage too, presumably using some nice upscaling on the SMAC FMV?
Acutally, quite the opposite - I used the game's own renderer! I noticed that the vids shown in the game looked smoother, with fewer glaring decompression artifacts (albeit, with blurred details and duller colors) than the ones "converted" using present-day software. The executable that does the work (playuv15.exe) is in the movies subdirectory. So I set up a script that played the clips one by one like it's 1999 and captured them from the screen :cool:.

This was very much in line with the concept of the project - to make an audiovisual lorebook on SMAC's own terms, evoking the look and feel, and showing as much content from the game directories as feasible. In the end, all the media I could find other than stills and sound effects (voices, cinematics, and mini-animations) are somewhere in the compilation. I'll write more about it eventually - wanted to do so earlier, but once I started producing the clips that took over.

Please don't go.. the drones need you ;)
They look up to you! :dance:

Last edited:
Ok, so lastly here are the album notes.

Track listing and an index to the various playlists. Really it's just a minor facelift to the schedule video, which is now out of date - providing the excuse to tweak it a bit more :lol:. The info is redundant with the shorter TOC in the Openings vid.

I suppose this will be the last new video in a while. I could do various rearrangements e.g. merging all faction vids in each game into a long-form, but this mostly just involves shuffling what's already there.

What I do hope to do later in this thread is, finally, to ruminate a bit on the process. I mean, technically it was simple - while edifying for the amateur - but trying to compile the clips into something sensible did yield interesting insights into the game world, and (to a lesser extent) into its development.

Until such time, there's a truly pro production unfolding over at/by @UniversityBase. I'm sure I'm not the only one excited for the next installment, whenever it may come.

Last edited:
Ok, potentially doing the long-forms provides an excuse to do more tinkering. If I do this I'll take my sweet time and I also want to make it different enough to be a genuine improvement. Here's one bit I've whipped up, a more dynamic opening sequence for faction videos:

Faction concept.gif

Ok, so here's some more tinkering - a changing background for the faction videos. Would be used for sure during the leader quote, possibly too distracting to run throughout. Here are three different possibilities, posting them in a darker version approximately as would appear in the background, and with unchanged value. In all cases each slide is held for 2s, as in the game. There are other possible layouts, too, but this is what I'm playing with right now.

Thoughts?

1) The same slideshow as in the game, times 15
template-grid-28-same.gif
template-grid-28-same-clear.gif

2) Random start, slides changing together
template-grid-28-even.gif
template-grid-28-even-clear.gif

3) Random start, slides changing at staggered times
template-grid-28-uneven.gif
template-grid-28-uneven-clear.gif

Last edited:
Yeah, thank you, that's how I'm leaning too. Was aiming for #2 at first, didn't consider #1 as an option but it was a necessary step in the production, and working with the Hive as a template, I thought "Oh, Yang would love this - the uniformity!" - so I went and rendered it to see how it looked. And after seeing #2 I went, ok, let's shift a random half of these by 1s in either direction.

The *.flc files with the photo galleries can't be easily read with today's software, by the way. Other flc's (short animations - body scans, planet buster explosion, escape pods landing etc.) can be read just fine, sometimes with minor discrepancies, but in this case present-day video players & editors scream error and skip a bunch of frames. So the only reliable renderer I have for them is the game. Luckily it shows the slides every 2s like clockwork, so I could screen-rip at 1 frame per second with no glitches.

Depending on the faction, the entire cycle lasts between 48 and 56 seconds (24 to 28 images, 30 for aliens but theirs are not real photo galleries :lol:), and it repeats in the same order. The second time around, though, the first image in the set is usually omitted. Not sure why or what it depends on. My guess is that they didn't want the repetition to be too glaringly obvious, and since the player is likely to remember the first slide the best (just how the brain works, and on top of it the opener is typically a childhood portrait that obviously resembles the character), they wanted us to not immediately catch on that we were seeing repeats. Whatever the reason is, some thought went into it.

Last edited:
Yes, this works as well as I could expect, and it's fine for the whole video when blended with the default background. The GIFs refuse to render for some reason, but here are a couple of stills.

Frame_Yang.png
Frame_Polysoft.png

Ok, so here's something. Still tweaking it but this is in general what I have in mind for the spiffed-up versions of the vids.

The changes from before are:
  • new opening sequence
  • photo gallery as the background
  • additional background animations & stills at 2:03, 3:18, 6:18, 8:27 (links in the description)
Anyway, as I wrote, I'm taking my time & approaching these one by one. The overall idea is to have something extra happening in the background for every faction - unit design animations for new chassis, unit types & some special abilities (*not* every weapon and armor, that'd be overkill), plus stills to accompany quotes at choice moments. Not sure how I'll eventually package the vids, I'm thinking long-form chunks for each game first, the individual clips later on.

This balance of regular / custom backgrounds seems about right, tried not to overdo it but it's easy to get carried away coz there's so much to include. Of course it'll differ between factions, e.g. Spartans are again getting more action than Morgan or Believers, and Alien Crossfire clips require more attention since they're short so the interventions have more impact.

Thoughts appreciated. Enjoy!

Last edited:
Here are the intros, in a pretty polished state. They break up the awkward Openings video & can stand both on their own or as initial sequences in per-game longforms (and if the first version was an "album", this is now a "remix").

The concept is, I gather, fairly self-explanatory. The ending screens are a bit corny but seemed like a decent way to fill up the final 5-10s that youtube allows for thumbnails, and serve as transition to the factions - the final frame in the intros is the same as the first frame in Gaians & Consciousness.

SMAC faces.png
SMAX faces.png

Of course, this provided an excuse to emulate the cover art, and to make use of the highest-resolution "official" faction leader portraits I could find, from the original CDs.

Last edited:
Top Bottom