Art direction going forward

Am I the only one who finds the move towards three-dimensional units and environments 1) visually unappealing and 2) counterproductive for an enjoyable gaming experience? I'll explain both.

1) Civilization will never achieve visual realism, now and in the near future. There are too many moving pieces, too much on screen, for the average computer to perform adequately. To compensate, the art design is then limited to low poly models and low quality textures (in comparison to contemporary examples like Call of Duty or Crysis-->FPS games, I know, but exhibit what's impossible for the Civilization series). So in that light, what is the point of continuing down this path when the optimal best is cartoons or caricatures of realism. I for one would much prefer the best a two-dimensional world can offer, with perhaps a few three-dimensional features thrown in. High quality textures and animations could provide pseudo-three-dimensions onto the units and environments without sacrificing computer performance, all the while looking, in my opinion, leaps and bounds more realistic and aesthetically-pleasing than the three-dimensional cartoons we must gaze upon and pick through.

2) As mentioned in my previous point (as it is hard to really separate the two), three-dimensional graphics detract from the computer performance, making the experience less smooth and, more importantly, longer between turns for the average computer to process. Besides that, this disadvantage also affects other aspects of the gaming experience. Because the computer is digesting an enormity of polygons, the sizes of the worlds must be reduced to create a manageable field of performance. This means less hexagons. This means less units. The whole gaming experience is altered just for the (mediocre, in my opinion) three-dimensional illusion. This is just of one example. I'm sure there are perhaps others. All in all, three-dimensional graphics detract, not add, to the gaming experience. There is no tactical or practical use a player can gain from them.

For those who can bear read through my rambling, does anyone feel this way?

Well, I think that the 'new and improved' graphics of Civ 5 were a step backwards. Place a few units in wooded hills and then take away the little symbols above their heads....you'll have NO idea what those units are. As it is I ONLY look at the unit icon above the unit's head which has always made me wonder: wy not JUST have the icon and scrap the unit altogether? A clearer representation would have been much better, in my opinion.

Well, I think that the 'new and improved' graphics of Civ 5 were a step backwards. Place a few units in wooded hills and then take away the little symbols above their heads....you'll have NO idea what those units are. As it is I ONLY look at the unit icon above the unit's head which has always made me wonder: wy not JUST have the icon and scrap the unit altogether? A clearer representation would have been much better, in my opinion.
Exactly. Sometimes less is more, especially for strategic games.

2) As mentioned in my previous point (as it is hard to really separate the two), three-dimensional graphics detract from the computer performance, making the experience less smooth and, more importantly, longer between turns for the average computer to process.
3D rendering reduces the frame rate, making the graphics appear choppy, but otherwise has little effect on gameplay. The long time between turns is mainly due to the AI.

I agree that realistic 3D graphics are not compatible with Civ. I would much rather have a board-game-comes-to-life feel, where everything is easily identifiable without the need to further label it, and the graphics are an abstraction of reality. This would be much more in line with gameplay, which is an abstraction of reality, rather than a simulation.

3D rendering reduces the frame rate, making the graphics appear choppy, but otherwise has little effect on gameplay. The long time between turns is mainly due to the AI.
Okay. I'm not an expert on graphics, so I'll defer to the expert ;)

That being said, I still believe it does have an effect on gameplay, indirectly, with the decisions in design (map sizes) and other aspects of game mechanics to compensate with the graphics rendering.

I like the 3d graphics and animations, and thought that I would like the formations in Civ 5, but when playing it just becomes a mess and as noted if the sign werent there they would become unreconiceable. I very much enjoyed the units in c4, but as I was looking in the .pak files in c4 a bunch of units sprang out of the box. Firaxis had created and then disabled them as they took up too much memory (dont know why they didnt just made a on/off switch instead). So I guess they do take up a lot of GPU memory or RAM
Almost all of the ethnic units in my mod was lying dormant in vanilla. http://forums.civfanatics.com/showpost.php?p=9910273&postcount=2

I think that strategy games like Civilization or EU don't need 3D, just aesthetically pleasing 2D. The only objective 2D flaw is its worse adaptation to different resolutions.

3D doesn't actively detract me either, though.

Top Bottom