Avoiding Out of Sync (OOS)

BarryMcCackiner

Chieftain
A friend and I just started playing 2 player over the internet Gods & Kings Civ V games. We love Civ and love that we can play. We do not love getting disconnected every 10-15 minutes and having to restart the game from the multi-player lobby.

Is there some master list of things to avoid the OOS errors somewhere? If not, do people have some general tips for avoiding it?

Right now the only two concrete tips I have are: Use the DX9 version and load the previous turn's autosave after getting the OOS.

Any help is appreciated! All I want to do is play the game without having to restart every 10 minutes!

Have you been keeping on eye on your partners latency? You can view this in game by clicking on their name on the score chart. Their latency should be <200ms (the lower the better) and fairly stable for a good gaming experience. Sometimes the latency will spike while the host PC processes turns, this is OK.

Apart from the stability of your connection, one thing I can think of is maybe one of you is alt-tabing or shift-tabing a lot. This cause problems, especially if done during the loading screen or turn changes. Another possibility is action spam, ie hitting the numpad repeatedly to try to get your unit to move first.

Another possibility is map choice. Some maps don't seem to work well for multiplayer. I have never had problems with pangea or continents. I have heard that there can be resync issues with the europe map.

Top Bottom