Resource icon

bal's gameplay mods (naval supply, reduced supply etc.) 1

Updated Naval Supply and Lower Supply Cap modmods for current VP, Naval Supply is now standalone, doesn't need the nolakenavy modmod.
Lower Supply Cap doesn't touch the base supply from pop modifier anymore, I think that was tweaked in recent versions. Similarly extra HP provided by buildings are reduced by 33% instead of 50%. There's some effort to increase barb spawn delay, but there are so many values for that I'm not sure I've got the right one.

Also added a small modmod that should set deity level tactical AI parameters for all difficulties, don't know how much of an effect it'd have but it's a very small change anyway.

Removed some deprecated modmods, but whatever remains should work without needing an update (Miscellaneous Tweaks, Simplified Promotions, Unit Production AI Tweaks, Dynamic Battle Lines). Will look into units leaving forts issue with DBL.
Thank you so much for the updates, very appreciated

There's some effort to increase barb spawn delay, but there are so many values for that I'm not sure I've got the right one.
The below line controls spawn release:

<EarliestBarbarianReleaseTurn>3</EarliestBarbarianReleaseTurn>

You can find the file in:

C:\Users\<Username>\Documents\My Games\Sid Meier's Civilization 5\MODS\(2) Vox Populi\Database Changes\Difficulty\DifficultyChanges.xml line 723 in Notepadd++

Updated Naval Supply and Lower Supply Cap modmods for current VP, Naval Supply is now standalone, doesn't need the nolakenavy modmod.
Lower Supply Cap doesn't touch the base supply from pop modifier anymore, I think that was tweaked in recent versions.
Thank you so much!

Does the new version make Supply Cap from Pops higher/lower than the previous version of your mod?

I really like your naval supply mod.
I was thinking you can make it fully compatible with any other mod, existing or future, adding unique Admiral or naval units and buildings with the use of SQL triggers, with no need to have mod references or dependencies.
The triggers are to be added to existing code.
Code:
CREATE TRIGGER IF NOT EXISTS NavalSupply01 AFTER INSERT ON Buildings
WHEN NEW.BuildingClass = "BUILDINGCLASS_LIGHTHOUSE" AND NEW.Type IS NOT NULL
BEGIN
    INSERT INTO Building_ResourceQuantity
    (BuildingType, ResourceType, Quantity)
    SELECT NEW.Type, "RESOURCE_SAILORS", 1;
END;

CREATE TRIGGER IF NOT EXISTS NavalSupply02 AFTER INSERT ON Buildings
WHEN NEW.BuildingClass IN ("BUILDINGCLASS_HARBOR", "BUILDINGCLASS_SEAPORT") AND NEW.Type IS NOT NULL
BEGIN
    INSERT INTO Building_ResourceQuantityFromPOP
    (BuildingType, ResourceType, Modifier)
    SELECT NEW.Type, "RESOURCE_SAILORS", 10;
END;

CREATE TRIGGER IF NOT EXISTS NavalSupply03 AFTER INSERT ON Units
WHEN NEW.CombatClass IN ("UNITCOMBAT_NAVALMELEE", "UNITCOMBAT_NAVALRANGED", "UNITCOMBAT_SUBMARINE", "UNITCOMBAT_CARRIER") AND NEW.Type IS NOT NULL
BEGIN
    UPDATE Units SET NoSupply = 1 WHERE Type=NEW.Type;

INSERT INTO Unit_ResourceQuantityRequirements
    (UnitType, ResourceType, Cost)
END;

CREATE TRIGGER IF NOT EXISTS NavalSupply04 AFTER INSERT ON Units
WHEN NEW.Class = 'UNITCLASS_GREAT_ADMIRAL' AND NEW.Type IS NOT NULL
BEGIN 
    INSERT INTO Unit_ResourceQuantityExpended
    (UnitType, ResourceType, Amount)
    SELECT NEW.Type, 'RESOURCE_SAILORS', 2;
END;

CREATE TRIGGER IF NOT EXISTS NavalSupply06 AFTER INSERT ON Unit_FreePromotions
WHEN NEW.PromotionType = 'PROMOTION_SUPPLY_BOOST' AND NEW.UnitType IN (SELECT Type FROM Units WHERE Class = 'UNITCLASS_GREAT_ADMIRAL')
BEGIN
    DELETE FROM Unit_FreePromotions WHERE PromotionType = 'PROMOTION_SUPPLY_BOOST' AND UnitType= NEW.UnitType;
END;

If you want there's also this one for mods adding coastal wonders (like adaneslavo's More Wonders)
Code:
CREATE TRIGGER IF NOT EXISTS NavalSupply05 AFTER INSERT ON BuildingClasses
WHEN NEW.MaxGlobalInstances=1 AND NEW.DefaultBuilding IS NOT NULL
BEGIN
    SELECT Type, "RESOURCE_SAILORS", 1
    FROM Buildings WHERE Type = NEW.DefaultBuilding AND Water = 1 AND MinAreaSize = 10;
END;

Last edited:
Removed some deprecated modmods, but whatever remains should work without needing an update (Miscellaneous Tweaks, Simplified Promotions, Unit Production AI Tweaks, Dynamic Battle Lines)
Is Engineer Tweaks and other GPTI adjustments bad to have enabled?

I really like your naval supply mod.
I was thinking you can make it fully compatible with any other mod, existing or future, adding unique Admiral or naval units and buildings with the use of SQL triggers, with no need to have mod references or dependencies.
The triggers are to be added to existing code.
Code:
CREATE TRIGGER IF NOT EXISTS NavalSupply01 AFTER INSERT ON Buildings
WHEN NEW.BuildingClass = "BUILDINGCLASS_LIGHTHOUSE" AND NEW.Type IS NOT NULL
BEGIN
END;

CREATE TRIGGER IF NOT EXISTS NavalSupply02 AFTER INSERT ON Buildings
WHEN NEW.BuildingClass IN ("BUILDINGCLASS_HARBOR", "BUILDINGCLASS_SEAPORT") AND NEW.Type IS NOT NULL
BEGIN
    INSERT INTO Building_ResourceQuantityFromPOP
    (BuildingType, ResourceType, Modifier)
    SELECT NEW.Type, "RESOURCE_SAILORS", 10;
END;

CREATE TRIGGER IF NOT EXISTS NavalSupply03 AFTER INSERT ON Units
WHEN NEW.CombatClass IN ("UNITCOMBAT_NAVALMELEE", "UNITCOMBAT_NAVALRANGED", "UNITCOMBAT_SUBMARINE", "UNITCOMBAT_CARRIER") AND NEW.Type IS NOT NULL
BEGIN
    UPDATE Units SET NoSupply = 1 WHERE Type=NEW.Type;

INSERT INTO Unit_ResourceQuantityRequirements
    (UnitType, ResourceType, Cost)
END;

CREATE TRIGGER IF NOT EXISTS NavalSupply04 AFTER INSERT ON Units
WHEN NEW.Class = 'UNITCLASS_GREAT_ADMIRAL' AND NEW.Type IS NOT NULL
BEGIN
    DELETE FROM Unit_FreePromotions WHERE PromotionType = 'PROMOTION_SUPPLY_BOOST' AND UnitType= NEW.Type;

INSERT INTO Unit_ResourceQuantityExpended
    (UnitType, ResourceType, Amount)
    SELECT NEW.Type, 'RESOURCE_SAILORS', 2;
END;

If you want there's also this one for mods adding coastal wonders (like adaneslavo's More Wonders)
Code:
CREATE TRIGGER IF NOT EXISTS NavalSupply05 AFTER INSERT ON BuildingClasses
WHEN NEW.MaxGlobalInstances=1 AND NEW.DefaultBuilding IS NOT NULL
BEGIN
    SELECT Type, "RESOURCE_SAILORS", 1
    FROM Buildings WHERE Type = NEW.DefaultBuilding AND Water = 1 AND MinAreaSize = 10;
END;

Yay triggers, should use them more often! I'll add it to the next version, thanks!

Thank you so much!

Does the new version make Supply Cap from Pops higher/lower than the previous version of your mod?
Thanks! It should be a little lower, but the end result could be the same as it looks like VP itself reduced the supply a bit.

Is Engineer Tweaks and other GPTI adjustments bad to have enabled?
I think they aren't broken, but may be unbalanced.

The strategic resource counter on the EUI's top panel seems to not function with the naval supply mod, I assume it`s due to the new sailor resource also being displayed on the top panel. Removing the naval supply and the compatibility mod and starting a new game seems to bring back horse, iron etc. counters up top.

I really like the mod, but I`d also like to have that useful EUI feature. Is there any possibility to grant me my feeble wish?

The strategic resource counter on the EUI's top panel seems to not function with the naval supply mod, I assume it`s due to the new sailor resource also being displayed on the top panel. Removing the naval supply and the compatibility mod and starting a new game seems to bring back horse, iron etc. counters up top.

I really like the mod, but I`d also like to have that useful EUI feature. Is there any possibility to grant me my feeble wish?
Not feeble at all, thanks for reporting! I added some checks and it seems to work, for now you can extract the attached into "(3a) VP - EUI Compatibility Files\ImprovedTopPanel" and overwrite when asked. I'll eventually push this to base VP, but needs more testing and I've gotten pretty rusty.
Version 4a should fix this, link in the OP.
this mod removes ruins in the new version
Yeah that one is outdated, removed it from the topic (can't remove from the downloads section). I doubt I'll ever update it again, it's just minor changes with high maintenance.

Last edited:
Not feeble at all, thanks for reporting! I added some checks and it seems to work, for now you can extract the attached into "(3a) VP - EUI Compatibility Files\ImprovedTopPanel" and overwrite when asked. I'll eventually push this to base VP, but needs more testing and I've gotten pretty rusty.

Yeah that one is outdated, removed it from the topic (can't remove from the downloads section). I doubt I'll ever update it again, it's just minor changes with high maintenance.
Hello bal!
1) good to see you back! :)
2) thank you for the naval supply mod (and for the others too, ofc)
3) thank you for the fix, but while using it the strategic resources appear, the naval supply tooltip gets glitched, which was good before
Spoiler picture :
1715464606907.png

It's possible that it's only on my end, but there shouldn't be anything that overwrites that part, and it was good earlier (but who knows).

Hello bal!
1) good to see you back! :)
2) thank you for the naval supply mod (and for the others too, ofc)
3) thank you for the fix, but while using it the strategic resources appear, the naval supply tooltip gets glitched, which was good before

It's possible that it's only on my end, but there shouldn't be anything that overwrites that part, and it was good earlier (but who knows).
Thanks! I pushed a quick update (4a) that should fix the top panel. Apparently it was related to the newly added StrategicPriority column, all credits to @Flamingcheesepie for the fix.

Thanks! I pushed a quick update (4a) that should fix the top panel. Apparently it was related to the newly added StrategicPriority column, all credits to @Flamingcheesepie for the fix.
Thank you very much! Unfortunately for me it's still the same :(
@Edaka could you please check if the issue is on your side too or only on my end? (when you hover over Naval Supply on top panel) Thanks!

It seems mostly fixed now, although I don`t understand the calculation tbh. What I did was redownload the naval supply and the compatibility mod just for good measure and then reinstalling them and then also running the latest VP installer again.

Spoiler pic :

20240514125546_1.jpg

Like Revolutionist_8, in my game (using Naval Supply 4a), the naval supply tooltip is glitched. In the middle of a campaign, so unable to try Edaka's method.

Edit: Because I do not use the Lower Suppy mod, I am not using the compatibility mod.

Second edit: due to excessive fiddling with the mods, I needed to start a new campaign. Tried Edaka's method for fixing the glitched tooltip--it worked.

Last edited:
Top Bottom