Balseraphs Strats Theorycrafting

I've found a couple pretty interesting things about the Balseraphs: First of all, their upgrade path allows some sneaky tricks, like Freak upgrading.

Buy lots of Freaks cuz they're cheap; any with crappy mutations can go to the Arena for free xp, while those who get broken-ass mutations (like starting with Stoneskin!) can be upgraded as far as Courtesan/Beastmaster!

Loki is the most broken-ass hero in the game, since you can send him into low-tier cities and they'll defect to you. I started next to Kardith Lorda, who ended up supplying me with so many cities I didn't need Settlers after like my third!

Puppeteers, however, don't seem to have any advantages over normal Conjurers; the Puppet promotion in theory should make summoned creatures immune to Charm and Fear effects, but doesn't appear to: my Pit Beasts shat themselves over the Dragon just like living ones do.

Perpentarch is tha bomb just for the insane trait. I find a lot of traits come in handy once in a while but rarely does a trait give you a big edge all the time. Industrious just kicks in...build wonders!...organised...skip all production to command post...arcane...adept spamming time! Great way to field test all traits in one game...

This is tested but not in a "competitive" situation.

Twincast and Spellstaff promotions are passed to puppets (not 100% obvious that they would). Now, add the summoner trait.

In theory, a hero mage with the spellstaff promotion precast on him could produce the following every three turns:

Turn 1: Summon 2 puppets, they each break their inherited spellstaff to summon 4 "real" summons (admittedly the puppet promotion hurts but this is quantity not quality). Total "real" summons done at end of this turn: 8. Two puppets remain.

Turn 2: Summon 2 puppets, they each break their inherited spellstaff to summon 4 "real" summons while the prior puppets each summon 2. Total "real" summons done at the end of this turn: 20.

Turn 3: Same deal to end up with a grand total of 36 real summons on the turn before the turn 1 summons disappear. Time to attack. Even with the gimpy puppet promotion that is still a force to be reckoned with.

Essentially once you are in a cycle, as long as you don't let your puppets or mage die, you are able to summon 16 attack summons per turn. All essentially coming out of one unit. If you build up while in a cycle, the hero mage can conceivably have 48 attack units able to attack together that were produced solely by himself and his puppets/

You need a bunch of promotions here combat 1-5, twincast, enchantment 1-3, and whatever promotions your summons need. But the enchantment and summon mana promotions could come as free promotions from nodes if you pushed hard while beelining to Hemah for instance.

Even Keelyn's regular mages end up in a cycle where they can produce 3 summons per turn once they get into a cycle. If they build up over several turns, this can be a mini-army of 9 summoned units able to attack in one turn that were produced by one mage. And the promotions needed for this are minimal. Death 1 and Death 2 to get started, combats and spell extensions as desired.

Top Bottom