bannor battlemages

airforceWLF

Chieftain
Don't you think it'd be a neat feature for the bannor mage line to have access to metals?

The bannor always come across as a military oriented nation to me and I figured they could use their mages as a warrior first, spellcaster second.

Maybe like this.

Adept has access to bronze Spell Warrior

Mage to bronze, iron Battlemage

Archmage to bronze, iron, mithril Spellsword

And have them all start with enchanted blade

The Bannor should not have anything that makes them inclined towards the Arcane.

The Bannor more than any other race still sees Magic how it was seen by most in the Age of Magic: as a perversion of natural law which is an intrinsically evil and leads its practitioners into corruption and the worship of Ceridwen. They were then the people of Bhall, famed holy warriors who sought out witches and purged the land of their evil with the sacred flame. Although they now serve Junil, an affinity for their old precept remains and drives them to continue their witch hunts, although since Bhall's fall witch hunts have more often then not been directed against the innocent. Much of the world had their opinion of magic changed when Kylorin reemerged to teach the Amurites to use it for good and then himself went on to end the Tyranny of Mulcarn, but the Bannor were not present in Erebus at that time. They probably were allied with Kylorin against his empire, but I don't think they ever really trusted him. Also, I don't believe that Kylorin had begun training under Nantosuelta yet, so he may have personally avoided magic during their alliance and seen it as the instrument Ceridwen had used to turn him into a monster more than as a tool he could use to set things right again.

I've seriously considered making the Bannor unable to get Archmages. Archmages, but the definition given by Malchiavic, must have such strength of will that they think past any laws or notions of good and evil that might stand in their way. This by no means requires them to be evil (in fact wanton acts of cruelty would generally be counter productive, and many archmages prefer to think of this as focusing on a higher good) but it requires them to trade their idealism for a pragmatism that goodly nations still see as a sign of corruption. An archmage cannot let himself feel regret or doubts over murdering an innocent man if that death serves a greater purpose, but the Code of Junil would not let a mere mortal make such a decision.

Fitting then, that I as my first target destroyed the Amurites as Bannor. Not so fitting that I did it as Decius, and used the newly gained cities to produce mages (and later firebows) ;) .

As it has already been said the bannor would never allow any form of magic into thier society. which kina makes me also wonder why they can build mages and have mana from thier palace.

Because not having magic in this mod hurts? A lot?

If the Bannor lose magic they're going to need a LOT to make up for it - the Mechanos get an entire branch of the tech tree in trade and a lot of powerful unique units.

I've seriously considered making the Bannor unable to get Archmages. Archmages, but the definition given by Malchiavic, must have such strength of will that they think past any laws or notions of good and evil that might stand in their way.

Compared to various evil things you can do and still count as Good (razing cities with only Good religions, grafting Flesh Golems etc) Archmages are fluffy bunnies. Besides, the Bannor are by no means idealistic. Maybe building Archmages should lessen your alignment on the Broader Alignments option, but only that.

The Bannor should not have anything that makes them inclined towards the Arcane.

Although the Guardsman trait, while not making your magic stronger, makes your mages safer.

As it has already been said the bannor would never allow any form of magic into thier society.

Bannor text for the Lord of the Balors scenario mentions Bannor Mages:

Spoiler :
Donal held her still, and the ancient warrior and leader quieted. "The next battle will come soon enough. I will be there. It is unending for us--that is why we were chosen. But we can take a rest. I think we've earned it." Behind them the portal closed with a crash, as the Bannor mages severed the Fane from Agares' vault.

I've seriously considered making the Bannor unable to get Archmages.

Maybe a per turn or per casting chance to die and/or go barbarian? Representing not so much the odds that the Archmage goes bad, but that he becomes unacceptable to the rest of the Bannor. ie, Archmages being untrustworthy is a classic self fulfilling prophecy.

Top Bottom