Barbarian spawn mechanic?

Acoustic

Warlord
How are barbarians spawns calculated? Is it random or is there some method to this madness?

The only mechanics I'm aware of is that they only spawn in the fog of war. This I can confirm is true through testing it. If you spread some soldiers around your continent so as to keep the fog of war away, you will not have barbarian camps spawning on your land mass.

Just like all previous versions, spawn rate of barb camps is based on number of land tiles within fog of war. The setting is balanced for normal map types, but result in a lot more barb camps forming on those all land region map scripts.

In addition, at levels before Prince? below Warlord? The spawn rate of units of camps is much less.

The ranging barbs on advanced option will 3X the normal spawn rate of units. (Note that this doesn't impact the camp rate)

That makes sense, but it seems that they also spawn a lot more camps in the cold (or in the north). If I turn raging barbarians on a huge earth map, all of the snowy areas are covered in barbs. Anyway to tone this down a bit?

That makes sense, but it seems that they also spawn a lot more camps in the cold (or in the north). If I turn raging barbarians on a huge earth map, all of the snowy areas are covered in barbs. Anyway to tone this down a bit?

That's probably because those areas are less explored.

Either turn off raging barbarians or pretend it's Game of Thrones.

What exactly is the fog of war? Is that the white cloud stuff?

Here's a screenshot of where a new barb camp just spawned in the exact same location after I wiped it out 10 turns or so ago. It's not hidden in the white fog, but in a greyed-out area.

Notice that my knight was sitting there 3 tiles away.

Note: This is Prince level only. And to add: This is the fourth time a barb camp has spawned there. I hope that it's not a thing where I have to waste troops just to guard areas all over the map. And it's only three tiles away????

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2013-06-01 at 4.47.49 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2013-06-01 at 4.47.49 PM.jpg
    433.8 KB · Views: 93
The white fluffy clouds are fog, of course, but for barb spawning purposes, the greyed out areas are also fogged (since you don't have real-time sight on those tiles). Best sentry to suppress barb camp spawns is a scout with scouting I promotion (even better with scouting II or III).

EDIT: And, for what it's worth, barbs are more troublesome at Prince and lower levels since the AI is so sluggish to expand (and therefore slow to fill up barb space) and the human player can't possibly deploy enough units in foggy areas to suppress barb spawns.

Also note for purposes of barb spawning that it's not just the human player's behavior that matters; all the AIs and even the city states matter.

If even a lowly city states's caravel has visibility to land tile X; its not included in the count.

The white fluffy clouds are fog, of course, but for barb spawning purposes, the greyed out areas are also fogged (since you don't have real-time sight on those tiles). Best sentry to suppress barb camp spawns is a scout with scouting I promotion (even better with scouting II or III).

EDIT: And, for what it's worth, barbs are more troublesome at Prince and lower levels since the AI is so sluggish to expand (and therefore slow to fill up barb space) and the human player can't possibly deploy enough units in foggy areas to suppress barb spawns.

Thanks, Browd :)

You always have great advice and insight :) {I'm serious when I say that]

Top Bottom