Behind a router.

Monado

King
I tried to play civ3 play the world online with a friend before, but neither one of us could host a game because we were both behind routers? We are both still behind routers now. Can one of us set up a multiplayer game on civ4?

I played civ3 with friends of mine behind the router..and civ4 shouldnt be the problem either, i cant remember the specific ports, but DMZ always works!! just put the IP of your computer in the DMZ of your router and reboot it, then it'll work definatly..yeah yeah , this is for the critics online: "i know DMZ is not the optimal option because it leaves your computer unprotected from the internet, install a local firewall and you'll have no problem...kerio personal firewall works good with low system resources, bitdefender also works very well..or keep in mind that without trojans and such, if you're just playing the game and not doing anything else on the internet, there's no real threat or need of a firewall" ...and after you stopped playing the game don't forget to remove you from the DMZ to enable security again. but like i said, mapping the ports did it at our router..we needed a whole bunch of ports though, standard MS gaming ports, Gamespy ports, UDP and sometimes TCP enabled..therefor i just enabled both each time :)

other option, most routers have a standard enabling for VPN, virtual private networking, install some VPN host, enable the VPN in your router, log into the network through VPN(let windows think you're in 1 and the same network) and you can play Civ as LAN :) that worked too for us..is not very good if you play by ISDN..since VPN uses a slight amount of network traffic too..but at least it'll work :) there are Free VPN hosts out there..and you dont need a client, just use the windows client, its normally ok..not the best, but it'll work :)

Top Bottom