Best Scenario?

Chris3894

Warlord
I haven't dived into the Scenarios portion of Civ at all and was wondering what is a really fun one to start out with, or just which one you consider the best.

The longer ones which are the Deluxe edition of Conquest of the New World alogn with Into the Renaissance, and on some level the Steampunk Scenario.

I enjoyed the ACW scenario quite a bit. It shows that CIV5 1UPT combat could actually work well if the maps (and distances between cities) where big enough.

Empires of the Smoky Skies (the Steampunk scenario) is great fun and very replayable. It truly stretches what Civ V does, which is cool.

Best one is the Scramble for Africa, beyond any sort of doubt. It's extremely replayable (from multiple different "angles") and is just plain fun!

I found the Fall of Rome really fun but it isn't very replayable. Scramble for Africa is very fun with a ton of different play styles between the civs.

Fall or Rome hands down. I enjoy the conquest driven nature of the scenario and the epic battles and sieges.

The prehistoric scenario is kinda fun... i tried it out the other day. ...

Fall of Rome: Had a bunch of fun though I only played the two Roman sides. I liked the "survival" aspect and it was great to survive what crippled Rome in reality relatively in good shape. Don't know about barbarian sides.
Paradise found: I had fun the first time but it lost its appeal after that first playthrough. Not enough to do after you do it all once.
Conquest of the new world: I had fun as the European powers but was pretty underwhelmed by the native sides. Had a blast invading the new world, though I think spain was easily the most fun side to play as in this scenario.
Scramble for Africa: Odd. It is very exciting and tense at times (I pulled a victory during the last five turns as the Boers and just barely tipped the scale and the game in my favor during a nail biting war as Egypt) but I actually found the European powers somewhat boring as they basically just play capture the flag/ scavenger hunt while everyone else plays intense struggles for survival. It is great during the middle/ end but starts a little lack luster.
American Civil War: It simulated the American civil war well in that it was VERY frustrating at times due to rescource and logistic concerns. Still it was awefully satisfying to conquer the rebel capital on the LAST TURN and I felt macabre joy in sacking Washington for the south. It is tough as nails but satisfying to finish.
Empire of the smokey skies: I got bored. Nothing stuck out to me and I can't remember much of my game other than getting bored and quitting around turn 100 twice. Can't recomend.
Mongolian scenario: It taught me a lot about war when I was a young little prince but it wasn't all that fun or exciting.
Into the renniasance: I played as the Ottomans and France. I had fun conquering and holding the holy land but I was eventually overrun. I personally found it too difficult to juggle all of the diverse aspects but that's just me.
I haven't played the other scenarios, so I can't help you there.

1066, Year of Viking Destiny: Strictly a war scenario, nothing special. Interesting to play defensively as England as they immediately get overrun but fairly easy to turn the tide. It was also fun to take over England with the Norman knights. Both groups of vikings played the same as Denmark so nothing new there.

American Civil War: Another war scenario, I felt it was a bit anticlimactic and lacking. It wasn't terribly difficult as long as you bring enough cannons to weaken the capital's defenses. I did enjoy the unique promotions given to units and the history lesson that came with them.

Conquest of the New World: Fun to play a few times. European civs play the same, native civs play the same. I enjoyed sending the caravels to China and settling by the natural wonders but after you've played through it a couple of times, you kind of know how it's going to play out. It is nice the map varies each time though which does add to the replayability a little. I never tried the deluxe version.

Empires of the Smoky Skies: I like the idea of the victory conditions but it's pretty much a normal game with some altered units and is easily winnable. I played as the leader with the production UA... won easily and never played again.

Fall of Rome: I played this solely for the achievements. Playing as one of the Romans is a pain... the deity challenge was more of a slog than anything. I found that victory wasn't really about how well you play but whether or not the AI (particularly the Sassanids) dominates or not. Their score keeps going up and up to the point that simply defending and keeping your own cities isn't enough which seems a bit silly. If it was solely a matter of defending your cities to win, I'd like it more, but as is, it's too tedious for me to want to play again as Rome. The Vandals were the most entertaining for me.

Into the Renaissance: I could only play the random maps as the historical map was too large with too many units for my computer to handle. Again, fun to play a few times but it can sometimes be more of a chore than anything on the high difficulties. The whole religion aspect seemed pretty pointless other than giving the AI a reason to hate you, which is a shame since that's a core mechanic that the scenario was based around. I'd like it better if it were shorter.

Paradise Found: Like other scenarios, fun to play once but after that it's the same thing over and over. Fun idea, fun to find the real world geographical locations, gets stale after the first playthrough.

Rise of the Mongols: Maybe my favorite scenario playing the deity challenge. It's pretty fun wiping out every city on the map and it's nice that killing city-states is actually worthwhile in this scenario. Happiness reaching -100? Who cares! The keshiks keep dominating until everyone is dead.

Samurai Invasion of Korea: I found this to be decent. Depends who you play as. I found it most fun playing as Manchuria, second would be China. You practically can't lose as Korea and it can be a bit of a slog taking down China as Japan.

Scramble for Africa: Playing as a European power was pretty easy to dominate. The North African gold victory wasn't very fun for me. I did enjoy the culture victory, particularly the Boers on deity. The Boer deity challenge was probably one of the more memorable scenario victories I had.

Wonders of the Ancient World: Likely tied with the Mongol scenario as my favorite. It's fun to comb the deserts for ruins and I like how you have to unlock wonders by reaching certain benchmarks in the different categories.

If I had to rank the scenarios from most enjoyable to least enjoyable, it would probably look like this:

1. Rise of the Mongols
2. Wonders of the Ancient World
3. Scramble for Africa
4. Samurai Invasion of Korea
5. Conquest of the New World
6. Into the Renaissance
7. Empire of the Smoky Skies
8. American Civil War
9. Fall of Rome
10. 1066: Year of Viking Destiny
11. Paradise Found

Top Bottom