Better Anarchy Mod Idea - For AND's future

konradcabral

Prince
Currently the civics changes are barely simulated in Civ. In history, changes in the systems of government almost every time were accompanied (or preceded) by violence and civil war. We change every aspect of our governments and the max we get is a few paralized turns. I propose a revamp on the Anarchy System, and new effects attached to it. These effects would be affected not only by the civic you are adopting, but by the civic currently being used.

- Losing control of a % of your military units;
- Stronger effects on the Revs calculation;
- Different levels of anarchy for different civics(not in number of turns, but in the impact of it), like:
  • No anarchy (or better name, "Social Consensus") - 0% of units losing
    Light Anarchy (or "Transition") - 5% to 10% of units changing side
    Medium Anarchy (or better name) - 15% to 30% of units changing side
    Severe Anarchy - reserved for great and changes, like Republic to Monarchy, Proletariat to Bourgeois, etc. - 35% to 60% of units changing side.

Remember that's the opposite of Revolutions Mod. In Rev, when people aren't satisfied with the current civics, they revolt and ask for better systems. What I'm proposing here is a situation when you change the civics to one that people don't approve, then they revolt to change it back. This situation is a little simulated by Rev, I just think that could be more impactant. What other ideas do you have to improve the changes of civics simulation?

What a great idea! I really want that these idea become a modmod:goodjob:. In my opinion, changing state religion also must bring strong anarchy.

So the mild effect of Rev you refer to is that each city's unrest counter goes up something fierce when you're in anarchy (and by the way you can't build anything). I think the simplest way to do what you suggest is to give longer Anarchy! periods when the civics change in a way the people don't approve of (say, at standard speed, +1 turn for each shift of local/national stability modifiers).

Your idea of switching the loyalties of existing units, I think, should be added to the existing revolutions process to make it more threatening, I just don't know how to do it in a way that wouldn't be seen as too cheap (random frustration for the player).

Currently the civics changes are barely simulated in Civ. In history, changes in the systems of government almost every time were accompanied (or preceded) by violence and civil war. We change every aspect of our governments and the max we get is a few paralized turns.

Which equates to a couple of generations in the ancient era - even the 100 years war only went for 30 years or just over one generation.

Well I think there should be more variety in that. maybe a percent of cities that revolt in addition to the time.

You could also do other things like cut all revenue in half, or production. The point being that not all changes are severe and others are very severe, like changing religion. You do have to consider the spiritual trait. Maybe split it up, spliritual could effect religious anarchy and something else political.

the idea of military units leaving my command without ANY previous hint would be purely annoying, so a clear no from me to this point. some random barbarians spawning within borders is a better option for the game play. or best thing would be to sent several military units (that are within borders) into 'busy' status in which they cannot be moved for a random amount of turns.

however, i agree on the stronger rev effects!

as for the idea of different anarchy types that's a good point too. maybe splitting up anarchy at the governmental and local level: cities could start revolts of different lengths thus the anarchy wouldn't end everywhere so abruptly. additionally there could be temporary unhappiness added to different cities depending on the civic change and city type (e.g. there would be huge unhappiness in large cities when switching to authoritarian government). this again would rise revolutionary problems btw.

Top Bottom