Biggest backstab ever? My "friend" China DoWs me out of the blue killing my GP..wow.

Artifex1

Warlord
I decide to send a GP to china, she and boudica DOW me on the same turn and I was friends with china with no negative hits..

They did think I was building cities to fast though. :blush:

Seriously I get my GP killed and a DOW from a friend...how hardcore is that? It was maybe turn 150 or so..

I decide to send a GP to china, she and boudica DOW me on the same turn and I was friends with china with no negative hits..

They did think I was building cities to fast though. :blush:

Seriously I get my GP killed and a DOW from a friend...how hardcore is that? It was maybe turn 150 or so..

What was the difficulty level? I just quit a King game because everyone (including weak little Ghandi, who had no army whatsoever) declared war on me just because I took one of Ghandi's cities earlier in the game. Apparently nobody except Portugal liked that.

Interesting that you got to be friends with China, she's rather hard to befriend. China is also one of the Civs that has a very low Loyality level AND has a rather high chance of aiming for a domination victory, so yeah, never trust them.

The thing about killing your GP was probably an accident, at least I've never seen an AI DoW me just to kill a Civilian.

Interesting that you got to be friends with China, she's rather hard to befriend. China is also one of the Civs that has a very low Loyality level AND has a rather high chance of aiming for a domination victory, so yeah, never trust them.

The thing about killing your GP was probably an accident, at least I've never seen an AI DoW me just to kill a Civilian.

On the DOW screen she said something like it was all an act and she will enjoy seeing my demise..she rubbed it in when she dows me.. :lol:

What is real weird is I helped her in a early war against pacal too..

On the DOW screen she said something like it was all an act and she will enjoy seeing my demise..she rubbed it in when she dows me.. :lol:

That's just a generic message they give you when they declare war.

Did they actually KILL your prophet (i.e. ranged units depleting him to 0 HP)? Or did they just capture him? In the latter case, you may be able to rescue him.

You forgot there is deceptive trait values.
Wu Zetian has one of the highest deceptive values among all leaders.(after Atilla and that Dido b*tch)
They will not show some negative modifiers in the leader screen. (covet lands, covet wonders, etc). Even to the point that she is suddenly friendly even when you break your promise not to spy or border expansion. And surprisingly, sometimes they will even trade normally, so you can't really tell their attitude towards you by exploiting the trading system.

That's unfortunate but you can use that as an excuse to dominate. That way, it won't be that hard for you coming back.

Ouch that hurts, losing an early Great Prophet too. Did they have their armies near your borders when they DOW you?
I've learnt the hard way that it is very valuable having scouts and horsemen with the 'sentry' promotions on hill tiles positioned near the closer AIs that way you can always keep half an eye on them.
Another thing to keep track of is military strength. If your military strength is in the upper 25% its much less likely that a Civ will DOW but it does happen! But in your case if China is nearby and their army massively outnumbers yours that that is the one of the most reliable indicators that you're headed for trouble.
And in that case your only real option is to bribe them to DOW on someone else... That will buy you some time to get your army prepared

The game's female leaders are generally high on deceptiveness/low on loyalty , at least that's how it seems pre-BNW. It's the Beauty = Bad ! trope. In Brave New World the AI is much less likely to attack you out of the blue all round, but you've also got new female leaders like Maria of Portugal who aren't aggressive.

In Vanilla/G&K i've had games with China where we were friends with multiple green modifiers (we gave them lux/cities, forgave spying, fought common foe, provided help when asked, adopted their religion) but still get attacked. Went back to an autosave the turn before a DoW, and she was still willing to buy lux at 240g.... low loyalty i think means that existing relations have no influence on choosing next target for invasion, i'm as likely to be her next victim as Napoleon, who she regularly denounces.

Catherine the great is less likely to backstab early game but is high on victory competitiveness, she will go from Friendly to Hostile and War if you start making good progress towards one of the victory conditions. She also, in my experience , loves to get you into a war against a third and then swing her troops around and attack you instead.

Incidentally I did modify China's loyalty number higher, made it possible to maintain relations with her even when she's on a warpath (which is often). I was trying to do a science victory but found myself getting dragged into war by her every 5 minutes, i was having to sell cities back to China because i didn't have the happiness to support any more.

Wu Zeitan is notorious for backstabbing, although she will suffer diplomatically for DOWing someone they have a DOF with. Boudicca is just a warmonger, who again will suffer diplomatically.

I myself have DOWed just to capture a great prophet as I don't want that near my borders......

That's why the only reason I would make a dof is for a gold payment since dofs allow ais to pay me gold.

I don't trust the AI. And because of it, the worst backstabbing I got ever was preceded by my best use of nukes ever. :)

The game's female leaders are generally high on deceptiveness/low on loyalty , at least that's how it seems pre-BNW. It's the Beauty = Bad ! trope.

And the game's female leaders are all crappy and always got raped by other leader before industrial era. Never see a runaway female leader civ. Probably Catherine and Dido are capable of it, but it is quite rare.

Top Bottom