Binary research => delayed research

What are the math behind this?
I don't know the precise maths - but I understand as you meet civs you get a discount (in part because they might have the tech.) The reason for stating NOT Pangaea etc, is because on most such maps you will likely have met many/all before you get to the 0% decisions. (I.E Continents, Arch)

If that is incorrect (someone with sufficient knowledge can probably advise, I'll happily edit that out.) It doesn't fundamentally change the benefit of binary research, but if the maths on that doesn't work - I'll remove.

but I understand as you meet civs you get a discount (in part because they might have the tech.)
Not in part, but fully. You get a bonus towards techs that others know. But you are correct that it's one more reason for "binary research". First because you make it more likely that they already have the tech and second because by maximizing the amount of :science: you generate you make it more likely that you actually gain a bonus :science: or two.

You get a bonus towards techs that others know.

Tech Known by Civilizations modifier = 1 + RDDW (0.30 * # known Civs who have the tech / # of Civs who started the game
Requirements modifier = 1 + (0.2 * MINIMUM Req. met) + (0.2 * # of Optional Prereq. met)

Above are two multiplicative modifiers applied in sequence for your beaker production.

So the other AIs known the tech gives no more than 30% discount.

Seems in case of island isolation it makes sense to beeline Astronomy and build treasury till you meet lots os AIs so some known you self-research at moderate discount.

I'll throw in two other considerations.
Delaying research also allows more time for AIs to finish researching the tech, granting you a further bonus.
It also gives AI more time to demand your goldpile.

Tech Known by Civilizations modifier = 1 + RDDW (0.30 * # known Civs who have the tech / # of Civs who started the game
Requirements modifier = 1 + (0.2 * MINIMUM Req. met) + (0.2 * # of Optional Prereq. met)

Above are two multiplicative modifiers applied in sequence for your beaker production.

So the other AIs known the tech gives no more than 30% discount.

Seems in case of island isolation it makes sense to beeline Astronomy and build treasury till you meet lots os AIs so some known you self-research at moderate discount.

Two errors in this. The two bonuses are added not multiplied. Secondly, known tech bonus is
1 + RDDW (0.30 * # known Civs who have the tech / # of Civs who are still in the game.
The latter includes yourself. So the full 30% can never be attained.

If you want to know something, there are two ways. 1) read the code or 2) test. You can't trust anything else.

Top Bottom