[BNW] Diplo Kills Atomic War

GrumpyFlumps

Chieftain
Hello Civ fans!

Just played my first BNW game (as Rome), was going for a CV but got trounced by Greece who got a diplo win.

Reading up on diplo win conditions it strikes me that it totally nullifies the end game, am I right?

You could reach the Information era and be looking forward to a nice future war, but you'd have to do this within 30 turns as the game will end with the UN vote that is triggered? Is this correct? (I don't play much, so I might have missed something?).

Similarly if 50% of Civs achieve the Atomic era, looking forward to a nuclear war? It would seem to me that you've got 30 turn to fire you nukes before the vote.

I hope I'm wrong, but I was a bit irked when I was enjoying my game and it just ended but Greece got the World Congress and seemingly then and unstoppable diplo win.

Your thought please!

Just because a vote will happen in 30 turns doesn't mean someone automatically wins on that vote. If a split vote for World Leader doesn't naturally occur, you can easily engineer a split.

It's extremely unlikely that the AI will be able to win a Diplomatic Victory on the first vote. They would need to be allied with pretty much every city state, have the Forbidden Palace, Globalization tech with with all their spys as diplomats, and buy at least a couple of votes from the other AIs.

Just buying out one of two of their city states should be more than enough to stop them winning, at least the first time around.

I find that it's very helpful for all victory conditions to keep at least two or three CS allies. The bonuses they give you are worth chasing after, and sometimes they can serve as a buffer between you & a hostile AI civ.

So even when I pursue a very low number of CS allies, (for me anyways) I can still almost single-handedly prevent another civ from winning a diplo victory.

In addition, I often find it worthwhile to maintain a plurality of World Council votes even when I'm not planning on getting a Diplo victory. Being able to set the WC's agenda is useful for any VC.

Top Bottom