[BTS] BOTM 255: Ragnar, Emperor - First Spoiler - 1AD

DynamicSpirit

Fear him of the pink tie
GOTM Staff
BOTM 255: Ragnar, Emperor - First Spoiler - 1AD

Use this thread to tell us what happened in your game, up to 1AD. How did you find the archipelago start? Met any neighbours yet?

Reading Requirements
If you are participating in BOTM 255, then you MUST NOT read this thread unless EITHER
  • You have reached at least 1 AD in your game, OR
  • You have submitted your entry

Posting Restrictions
  • Do not disclose ANY events or information gained post 1 AD.
  • Do not reveal your final result if that happened after 1 AD.
  • Do not discuss the location of resources that may not show up before 1 AD (Iron is OK, coal and oil are not)
  • Do not post any savegame file from the game. Discussions and screenshots are fine but not actual games

Fun game! I settled in place, with my second city on the coastal hill to the south. 7 cities at 1 AD with 30 pop; 5 cities on the mainland (Stalin beat me to the southern tip out west with the deer), 1 on the small island to the south, in the middle of the big island (which also has a Russian city on the west coast and has Indian culture covering the resource tiles on the south). I got the GLH in 950, Delhi has the Oracle, ToA, and a shrine, and SH, GW, Mids went elsewhere. India has only a few cities and very limited forces so that'll be my first target. I'll have Construction in about 3 turns, but it's hard to amass a war machine with so few hammers. ;)

Very similar state as @Xcalibrator 7 cities, 32pop. 6 cities on the main island (1 trash filler spot left over) + 2tile island S-SE, capital and 2nd city likewise.
Different AI evolvements. Stalin beat me to GLH 1080BC. He is therefore my first target. At least Gandhi is willing to trade stuff. Sweden has most of the other wonders. There's a barb city at the FP's on the southern island + Gandhi has 2 cities there
Despite desperately needing happyness (once more) I refused to tech Monarchy myself in expectance the AI will. At 1AD my east going galley found a 4rth AI, finally someone that has it, so I can start growing. Meanwhile I directed the lack of happy into whipping infra, including forges, finished Colossus 200BC and have an academy. My west going galley traveled a respectable distance but died to the first barb attack, so circumnavigation still quite some turns away.
Techwise 8-10 turns to go on Civil Service, no Currency yet.

I also settled in place and built the GLH. Second city at the double fish plus deer. Then two cities on the big island to the south. Managed to fight back the Delhi culture so I could work the pig and ivory. Stalin also settled on the southern island so I built a stack of four axes and attacked his lone archer. Apart from Gandhi and Stalin I also met two other leaders and got some tech trading going. At 1AD I'm building catapults and elephants in preparation for an attack on Stalin. Tech is up to MC and Construction with Aesthetics in one turn. Got a lot of gold from a trade mission so the tech pace should pick up. 8 cities and 38 pop.
There seems to be lots of empty islands just waiting to be settled, so the plan is to keep founding cities while fighting Stalin. Gandhi and the more distant leaders I want to keep as trading partners - at least for now.

I thought I would have to skip this one due to travelling, but managed. Played very casually other than sandboxing early development, did not have much hopes for doing well due to mapmakers warnings.

Strangely, seems that I ended up with the most cities :confused: That is unusual for me, also not sure what I did right? I've lost GLH and generally I mostly played just to see what happens next and thought it was not going well - got alphabet just turns before 1AD but even with it, most AIs with good techs don't want to trade them. AndGLH is in "faraway country". Still have not met one AI. I also refused to research some tech myself, still don't have Monarchy, CoL, MC, Calendar in 3 turns. Even just got Pottery via trade :lol: I do have currency & construction and just got HBR and traded for Aesthetics. Thinking of attacking Gandhi just 'cause he is close and weak, although he is one of the few AIs that like me so it may backfire. I am however tired of losing culture war with him over the pig tile - he must pay and I will hog the hog:devil: I will probably not have to to finish (again) but I am very curious now if my start is indeed good or a catastrophe is going to happen soon. Ah, and I got GS, but on the wrong continent, to lazy to traffic hog back to the capital, so he is gonna bulb smth.

My demo stats are GNP 120, MFG 31, CROP 117, soldiers 151k, land 70k (no wonders), game score is 401, 9 cities pop 37

Last edited:
I'm on holidays and away from the comp that I played this game on, but it was a bit of a rollercoaster that turned out quite well. I was busy building the GLH when I got beaten to it by Stalin by only 1 turn. To be honest I was ready to rage quit there, but decided that I could express my rage as well by sending boats with axes to the evil Russian. I didn't really think my desperate attempt with 7 axes would work on immortal (although this thread title claims it's emperor really :p), but it went really well. Moscow not only gave me the GLH, but also the Pyramids and the Great Wall. :dance:
Hadn't even noticed the mids until I captured the city, I had spent the fail cash from GLH to speed up monarchy while assembling the army to get the happy cap higher. After getting the axes out, I pillaged the copper to get warriors for MP. I also captured St Petersburg and settled a city on the north eastern tip of the Russian island closest to home with cow and fish. Later I razed Stalin's last city. On the island to the south I got a city that's battling it out with Delhi's culture, and on the tiny island east of it another one. So at 1AD I'm at 10 cities and pop was somewhere in the 40's, 44 or 45 IIRC.
The map looks extremely large with something like 1200 land tiles IIRC where I only have like 35-40 so far, so still a lot of work to do when I get back from holidays. ;)

Wow that is a big score, with pyras and GW. I unfortunately lost GLH to the “faraway land” and also though it was over, but played further just to see the map. Otoh losing glh late was not that bad, got money for research

Settled on place. Built a GLh. On 1 AD 10 cities and 38 pop (17 in Nidaros). 6 on main island, 1 on small and 3 on elephants island. But there is Indian city near elephants, stone, pig and cow. Next turn settle 11 city (on main) and that last city before war. Some body build Colossus in 100 bc. I didn't connect copper. but with 17 warriors and 3 galleys i am overpowered than Gandy. I was close to circumnavigation before 1 ad, but barbarian galley kill my. But it still close. Finded Gandy, Stalin, Hatty and Suleiman. 4 turn to CS, then MC, mashinery and UU....

Last edited:
Top Bottom