[BTS] BOTM 267: Sitting Bull, Emperor - Final Spoiler - Game Submitted

DynamicSpirit

Fear him of the pink tie
GOTM Staff
BOTM 267: Sitting Bull, Emperor - Final Spoiler - Game Submitted

Use this thread to tell us what happened in your game, particularly anything after 1AD

Did you win?

Reading Requirements
If you are participating in BOTM 267 then you MUST NOT read this thread unless
  • You have submitted your entry

Posting Restrictions
  • Do not post any savegame file from the game. Discussions and screenshots are fine but not actual games.

I made the bad call of rexing into the frozen hub, instead of clearing barbs and building my own continent.
this was way above my skill level... no idea how I could have won this even if I didn´t make a host of mistakes.

Spoiler :

1708289051797.jpeg

You're playing on an almost unedited hub map.
I wonder if the edit was made as to protect us from Shaka reaching our starting area with galleys. ;)

Anyways, thanks to @DynamicSpirit for keeping the good work providing us with such nice games. :hatsoff:

I also had a rough start, my fogbusting was broken by losing an early battle with 97% odds of winning.
Spoiler :

Turn 34/500 (2640 BC) [05-Feb-2024 18:55:14]
After End Turn:
Cahokia grows to size 5
Other Player Actions:
While defending in the wild, Warrior 1 (Cahokia) loses to Barbarian Lion (0.44/2) (Prob Victory: 97.0%)

Then some lousy gameplay made me lose a city to barbs :blush:
Spoiler :

Turn 77/500 (950 BC) [05-Feb-2024 22:53:04]
Other Player Actions:
While defending in Native American territory at Mound City, Warrior 3 (Cahokia) loses to Barbarian Archer (2.13/3) (Prob Victory: 65.0%)
Mound City lost

Still early in the game, barb cities popped by ivory and copper on our starting area, leaving us with only horses as a strategic resource. Dog soldiers were too weak to take on those barb cities, so we went for early HBR.

Luckily for us, IMHO this mapscript is very forgiving for such weak starts, as we get a starting area reasonably safe from early invasions. Also, at least in my game Shaka was too busy fighting with Zara and/or Pacal to give us any trouble.

Nevertheless, we managed to overcome a very weak start and ended up conquering Brennus and Ramesses (most enjoyable part of the game) while expanding on our way to a lackluster XIX century space race victory. Special mention goes to Gilgamesh for being a surprisingly nice tech trader throughout the game (even though he never got up to friendly with us).

1470 conquest victory. I generated 8 great people (5 scientists, 3 merchants) total with 2 golden ages: 1st with the free artist from music, 2nd by using one scientist and one merchant... I don't usually do that, but more of a net positive when PHI, recouping the great people while the extra commerce and the opportunity to switch civics just before unit production is nice. 4 other scientists were used for Philo, Edu (x2) and Lib, merchants for upgrade money (pre-built some elephants for more cuirs) and to keep slider at 100%. Lib-MilTrad on 760 AD, started war against Celts with Cuirassiers in 920 AD. Vassaled Celts, Ethiopia, Egypt and Zulu in sequence (was at Rifling and started upgrading to Cavalry during the war on Shaka). Finished by attacking both Sumeria and Maya in parallel. AP was in Mutal (Pacal) and had to defy a peace resolution, but it was too late game to really matter for my cities.

@Conquistador 63 I also lost my initial warrior at low very odds, I wonder if that happened in many games because we start with the same random seed from the save file.

Also I'm not sure the ice preventing sailing to Shaka was a plus... I sent galleys in each direction initially to create foreign trade routes for the GLH, but with the east path blocked (and the center of the hub not fully roaded), plus a few barb cities on the coast between Brennus and Ramesses, it took a while to get routes with anyone except Brennus.

Top Bottom