Bow to the pRNGods, foolish mortal!

"Yea, and verily did the pRNGods smile upon the fledgling Portuguese nation, blessing their soldiers with great fortune in battle*. And lo, the peasants did rejoice at the glad tidings of smited enemies, and did fruitfully multiply..."

*Footnote:
Spoiler :
And in several cases, unexpectedly good aim...

Well, I ain't dead yet...

To my dismay, my southern neighbour initially wanted no part of my war. Despite that, my opening gambit (as planned in the post above) was successful -- and once the first northen town (the major objective) came under my control, the southerners joined in on my side after all (at enormous expense) -- I assume because the loss of my northern neighbour's Iron+Dyes had broken a deal between them. This was confirmed much later: for the last couple of turns of this session, my southern neighbour has sent no more Iron-bearing units north -- nor mounted units either, implying that they lost their Horse-import as well.

My northern neighbour has suffered disproportionate losses to my forces (both in terms of raw units, and even more so in shields invested), and has been willing to talk peace for many turns now. However, so far he has only offered cash, nothing more useful, so I've rebuffed his advances, because I am waiting for the MA+RoP-deal with the southern Civ to expire first. I'm frankly surprised that they haven't broken it themselves already (maybe they like my gold too much), and I hope that I can hold on long enough to end the deal honorably (needs 4T more as of the last save), because I got ambitious, and lost several units I would rather not have lost, as a result of foolishly overextending myself. Time will tell whether this will cost me in the long run. The other reason I hope to end the deal honorably is so that I can replace it with a straight RoP, allowing my neighbours to continue fighting until they're exhausted, while I play 'fill-in-the-gaps' as AI-towns get captured/razed.

I've already started on that: several new towns have been planted during this war, expanding my empire's boundaries northwards (and I want to get at least one more down before signing a PT) -- I have even got to the point of being able to build my FP (a newly Settled town has just started doing that). My empire is now fairly thoroughly ICS'd, so that I can gradually disband the intermediates later, and go to CxxxC -- but these intermediates are currently among the largest/ most productive towns that I have, so I can't afford to shrink/abandon them yet. Also, I will need to build 'Ducts nearly everywhere, so I am strongly considering going Feudal until I can own my Continent, then switching to Republic as soon as enough basic improvements (CHs, Ducts, Libs, Markets) have been built/whipped.

But to do that, I'll have to extract Feudalism (and Republic) from someone(s)...

Turns 135-143
Spoiler :
T 135, 150 AD
Slaves retreated, Settler sent to Emer (2T to arrival)
Stack moves out of Emer, stops on Grass
IBT
Russians begin SisChap

T 136, 170 AD
Emer gives mined BGrass to Leiria to minimise SPT, maximise CPT
All is ready... I dial up Gandhi, and demand Feudalism with menaces... Naturally he refuses
Stack moves to Iron-hill, captures Slave
But Cathy won't play ball (even though she has at least 1 Knight already)! (An RoP would cost me 40g, and she doesn't know Ragnar or Smoke yet). This could get nasty...
Lagos switched to building vSpear (2T)
IBT
Indian Mace promotes vSword (2/5) (1-0)
Lisbon --- vSpear (3T)
Emer --- vAxe (3T, Pop6 in 2T)
Babs begin SisChap

T 137, 190 AD
Jaipur attacked:
Cats go 1/4 vs rPike, but it's still the strongest unit in town
rSwords demolish Pike and 2 rSpears, 1 Sword lost vs a 3rd Spear -- revealing rLBM (4-1)
r+eArcher kill 2/3 rSpear and LBM, capturing the town (+2g, 4 resistors) (6-1) --- Slave (10T)
We now have IRON! (And Dyes)
But there's another Mace incoming...
v+2rAxes upgraded in Lagos (3*60g). I'm 4g shy of upgrading another one...
rArchers sent to Iron-Hill to take the brunt, high-SPT Rax-towns switched to building Swords, low-SPT Raxes do Spears
009 Évora founded on Dyes NNE of Lagos --- Walls (20T)
Cathy will now sign an MA+RoP vs Gandhi: I pay Dyes, 10g and 16GPT (ouch)
SCI% zeroed to put some more cash in the kitty (+8GPT)
Spears sent to guard Evora and Jaipur (which also gets the 2/5 eSword and a vArcher)
Slaves go to mine exposed rGrass near Jaipur (3T)
Workers1+2 sent to road Jungle near Lagos (2T to arrival, 5T to road)
IBT
vArcher redlines rMace, then succumbs (6-2) There are 2 more rMaces incoming
But there go the Russians! Bloody Hell that's a lot of Horses...
We can build our FP! Great...
Coimbra --- Cat (5T, Pop4 in 5T)
Palace expansion!

T 138, 210 AD
No resistors have been quelled in Jaipur, so most troops evac'd to adjacent Dyes -- it can revolt unhindered...
Injured troops return to Evora to heal
New Swords sent forwards to Dyes-stack
New Settler sent to Russian border to the SE
Towns MM'd and spare Axes reshuffled to ensure efficient builds/growth and no riots
Iron-Hill cleared to let the Russians through quicker (I can see 1 Knight, 9 Horses, 2 Swords, and 1 Archer)
IBT
Ragnar demands 21g! I pay
Redlined Mace dies attacking Russians

T 139, 230 AD
010 Braga founded 2SE of Lisbon, expanding our border: Cathy won't be happy about that --- Walls (10T, Pop2 in 10T)
Cats redline 1 rMace (3/4 hits), rSword kills 2nd rMace approaching Evora (7-2)--a 3rd is incoming, if the Russians don't get him first...
Settler stays put in Emer --- I'd like to chop the Forest on the town-spot first, and I'll need to abandon Jaipur as well, once I've got Swords building everywhere...
IBT
Russians and Indians do each other lots of damage -- including the loss of the Knight -- clearing the way for my Settler and other units... Good :evil:
Lisbon --- Sword (5T, Pop6 in 3T)
Lagos --- Sword (6T -- Pop6 in 19T!)

T 140, 250 AD
New vSpear to Braga
Settler+Swords+Archer sent to grab the coastal Grass SSE of Karachi -- I can Settle the Forest later, if need be...
Dyes-stack split between Evora and the Settler-stack (Cats + healthy Swords mostly to Settler, to protect him from Indian Wellies)
rAxe garrisons Jaipur. If it flips, I won't lose much
Slaves sent to chop Forest NW of Emer (vSword guards)
We are now AVERAGE vs Gandhi! Excellent news!
IBT
Russians and Indians continue to hurt each other -- I saw a Wellie-flash, but they leave us alone
Emer --- Sword (6T, 0FPT)
Babs build KT in Nineveh!

T 141, 260 AD
Settler-stack moves forwards
rSword sent back to Lisbon, which upgrades another (60g)
Slaves begin chop (2T)
SCI%---10% for Monotheism in 29T, +9GPT (I have 4 Axes left to upgrade)
IBT
Russians are getting thin on the ground up north... Uh-oh...
Russians start SisChap
Indians build Leos in Delhi! And begin SisChap!

T 142, 270 AD
011 Faro founded, with Indian Mace just outside... --- Walls (20T, Pop2 in 10T)
That has, however, secured the Iron: rAxe is sent forwards to keep watch in Jungle NW of Dyes, and Jaipur is abandoned before the nearby Slaves finish their chop
IBT
Coimbra Cat --- Cat (5T, Pop5 in 5T)

T 143, 280 AD
Slaves begin road (2T) + mine (12T) on cleared BGrass -- no, wait, that was dumb, since I want to put a town there soon
Workers go to chop Forest outside Evora (1+2T)
Slave goes to chop Forest near Jaipur's ruins (1+8T)
IBT
Leiria --- Scout (5T, Pop4 in 3T -- needs MM)
Turns 144-153
Spoiler :
T 144, 290 AD
Mining Slave is interrupted, and sent to adjacent rBGrass
Since the Dyes are now secure for us, I ship some to Hammy: he pays Incense+1GPT
IBT
Lisbon --- Settler (5T, Pop7 in 5T)
Emer --- Sword + Settler queued (6+6T, food-wastage in 15T)

T 145, 300 AD
Gandhi's ready to come to terms! And Cathy appears to have run out of Iron and Horses (oh what a pity), since she's now sending Spears forwards. So I'll let her give up first...
IBT
Lagos --- CH (16T)
Evora --- Worker (10T, Pop2 in 6T)

T 146, 310 AD
Swords coming back to Emer, in prep for assault on Vladivostok, once Cathy breaks our MA
IBT
vWellie kills eSpear that was shielding Faro -- and then repels all subsequent Russkie attacks (2/5)
Sagres --- Sword (5T)
Palace expansion!

T 147, 320 AD
Mayans have finally learned Monarchy!
rSword forces injured Wellie to retreat, but is left exposed...
IBT
Indians request audience! But Gandhi will only pay 150g for PT, no techs. So nope
Wellie kills exposed rSword, but redlined Wellie dies on Faro's Spear, and another retreats from a vSword (8-3)
Coimbra --- Cat (5T) (and new citizen got Geeked automatically)
Leiria --- Scout (5T)

T 148, 330 AD
Cats+Swords sent from Emer back towards Faro, to repel Wellies
rArcher from Faro promotes vWellie to 5/6 (8-4)
Smoke still has nothing he'll give for peace
IBT
Wellie kills Faro's Spear, Sword kills redlined Wellie (9-5)
Braga --- Cat (10T, Pop3 in 10T)

T 149, 340 AD
MM Lisbon for Pop7 in 1T (Settler in 3T before growth)
IBT
Wellie fells Russian Spear outside Faro, and another dies to my Sword fortified in the Jungle! (10-5)
Indians land LBM near Lagos
Russian LBMs are incoming...
Russians begin CopsObs!

T 150, 350 AD
vSword kills amphibious LBM (11-5), Cat knocks 1HP off Galley that brought it
rArcher dies vs Wellie in Jungle NE of Dyes (11-6)
eArcher kills redlined Wellie outside Karachi (2/5) (12-6)
Karachi has only rSpears guarding it! Cats+Swords sent forwards from Faro
IBT
Wellies kill Spear in Faro, rSword in Jungle (12-8)
Lisbon --- Sword 5T, Pop6 in 10T
Emer --- Settler (6T)

T 151, 360 AD
vSword kills injured Wellie near Faro
Forces near Karachi force Wellie to retreat, but it costs me my eArcher and 1 vSword (13-10) -- and there's a vLBM incoming. Probably shouldn't have sent that stack forwards: discretion may now be the better part of valour... (IOW: 'Run away, run away!')
OTOH, the Russian LBMs will be up here soon...
Settler sent to BGrass 2NW of Emer, to build FP-town
Jaipur's ruins have been roaded: 1 Slave assists with mining, 2 sent to road adjacent Forest, which will then be cleared in 1T
GAME SAVED
IBT
vLBM shafts exposed vSword, but super-Archer in Faro fights off Wellie(!), and Swords+Cats defeat another rLBM (15-11)
Sagres --- Sword (5T)
Babs begin CopsObs

T 152, 370 AD
Slaves begin roading cleared BGrass (2T)
Worker sent to assist roading Mountain near Lagos (1+3T -- because it's there...)
Sword+Cats retreat to hide under a healthy vSword
Cats bomb Mace, rSword kills rLBM near Evora
Leiria MM'd to build 2nd Scout in 1T
IBT
2 Swords fall to Wellies, but LBM + 2 Wellies die as well (18-13)
And the Russians kill the redlined Mace, and are finally through the Jungle north of my territory
Leiria --- Worker (2T, 0FPT)

T 153, 380 AD
012 Rio Janeiro (FP) founded --- FP (200T, Pop2 in 10T)
Galley+Scouts sets off SW to explore Vikings' Continent via Russia
MA+RoP with Cathy has only another 4T to run, thank goodness...
GAME SAVED
IBT
The world as of 380 AD:
Spoiler :

Attachments

• Henry of the Portuguese, 380 AD.SAV
    140.3 KB · Views: 212
  • C3C Random DG Porties1 minimap 380 AD.png
    C3C Random DG Porties1 minimap 380 AD.png
    33.6 KB · Views: 440
Already long-since played, and things are going better than I had any right to expect.

I managed to accumulate sufficient gold+tech to purchase Republic from the most backward Civ (actually more ignorant than me, amazingly -- selling them Currency brought them into the Mid-Age!), and even though my towns are mostly still too small for this to be the best Gov for me right now, I decided to revolt into it nonetheless, since I am (obviously) well behind on tech, and want/need much GPT to buy what I'm missing. Although the revolution subsequently made things trickier in terms of unit-support and WW, I also prefer to cash-rush improvements and units than whip them (just soft-hearted, I guess...).

Following the expiration of our peace treaty and RoP, I finally felt strong enough to attack my southern neighbour. With a little help from my northern friends, the southerners have lost multiple units (mostly to them) and several cities (mostly to me), and now appear to be well on the way to the ash-heap of history. Their reserves are long-since gone, and they cannot now field any decent units, so I should be able to push them into the sea without much further ado -- provided that they don't get Nationalism as a freebie when they hit the Industrial Age (which is likely to happen soon, since several AI-Civs appear to be on the point of reaching it, and will likely trade the others up as well).

My territory and population have expanded significantly, and are still doing so, despite the disbandment of some of the innermost intermediate-towns. More Luxes are now under my control, and flip-risk in the most important core-cities has been lowered by the removal of southern influence (or at least, insulation from it by throwaway border-towns). However, my northern neighbour is now putting Cavs into the field, so I certainly won't be fighting them any time soon. Instead, I am considering sending my troops across the water, and securing that large island first -- that way, I'll curtail their Cultural expansion (which is now impinging on my newly acquired land) and later only have to deal with one near-neighbour rather than two. But to do that (and to paraphrase), I'm gonna need some bigger boats (i.e. Astro)...

Turns 153.5-164
Spoiler :
...IBT
Russians and Indians still pitting Wellies and LBMs against each other, with predictable results...

T 154, 390 AD
Slaves finish roading, 2 go to assist miners (1T), 1 to Jungle (48T)
Swords+Cats fortified in Faro again, making it a less attractive target
Galley must sail through Russian waters, but RoP will last long enough for it to escape eastwards
IBT
More Russian LBMs eat tusk, apart from 1 which helpfully kills another amphibious LBM near Lisbon
Leiria --- Cat (7T)

T 155, 400 AD
4-pack of Slaves sent to road Forest near Faro (1+3T), to let the Russians through quicker. Don't want to chop it first (2T), because Faro only needs 7s for its Wall
Galley leaves Russian waters...
rAxe upgraded in Lagos (60g)
Cat bombs 1HP off Indian Galley
IBT
Gandhi signs MA with Hammy vs Cathy! Perfect...
Lisbon --- Sword (5T, Pop6 in 5T)

T 156, 410 AD
Cats in Faro bomb 4HP off vWellie threatening Slave-stack, which starts work nonetheless -- With any luck, the adjacent Russians will knock it down and take its place
Archers+ vSword fortified on Slaves, just in case the Russians choke
And Hammy has Horses to sell (to me, to me)! 11GPT is painful, but not half as painful as it will be for Cathy (MA+RoP expire this IBT, giving me back 16GPT)...
If I can use Swords, Cats and Horses to roll up the Russians (now that they have no Iron or Horses themselves, or units built using them), and then turn on the Indians, capturing Delhi (i.e. the GLib) would get me back in the tech-race. I wouldn't even need to go Feudal (although getting it for peace would be useful...)
Galley ends turn mid-Ocean, but can see land (southern Scandinavia, I presume?) 3 ENE
IBT
Wellies both retreat from Russian LBMs
Sagres --- Horse (5T)

T 157, 420 AD
Galley survives the crossing! Both Scouts landed on an unclaimed Plains tile, heads N
MA+RoP-deal with Cathy cancelled, replaced with straight RoP, costs nothing
Lisbon switched to building Horse as well
Gandhi contacted: he will pay us 87g+4GPT for a PT! (I wonder what he'll pay for an MA vs Cathy...? :evil: )
I'm now raking in 28GPT (woo-hoo), and a lone Geek will learn Mono in 13T
Last 2 rAxes upgraded (2*60g), dropping our Treasury to 4g
IBT
...which Hammy promptly extorts
Wellies kill more LBMs, and vice versa...
Emer --- Spear (7T, 0FPT)

T 158, 430 AD
Indians have switched to Demo!
Troops begin rallying towards Emer (Vladi is down to Pop5!) and Coimbra (which can be attacked in 1T unless I can pop its borders: Lib in 7T, or Temple in 3T)
Scouts begin exploring Scandinavia: 1 goes N, 1 goes S
Settler sent to found a town in northern Jungle, on Indian border (2T to arrival) -- this town will be a stayer
IBT
Ragnar Annoyed about the Scouts (Galley is not in his borders AFAIK)
Smoke wants to talk as well: but he's still demanding Currency for a PT! Ah-hahaha. No.
Evora ---Worker (5T, Pop4 in 5T)
Braga --- Spear (10T, Pop4 in 10T)
Russians build SisChap in Novgorod!
Indians build CopsObs in Bangalore!

T 159, 440 AD
Southern Scout spots incoming Mayan ACav+Javs, so he runs away after his buddy
The Mayans will have to invade Scandinavia to catch him -- Smoke and Ragnar don't seem to have an RoP...
Tile-reshuffles brings Coimbra's Lib-build down to 4T, but that means I need SCI%=10% to get Mono in 11T
I need another Settler to replace Vladi as well, and possibly also Oporto (sux to raze it, but the citizens are probably 100% Russian by now...)
I am stupid -- just realized that a Forest-chop near Faro would go to Rio, not Faro... *facepalm*. Oh well, the Workers can do that in a minute, after they've roaded the free Grass near Faro (1+1T)
IBT
Scout killed by ACav that came out of the northern fog :grrr:
Cathy wants another MA vs Gandhi. Nope, sorry old girl, nothing doing. And the only thing I can afford to buy from her is the remaining Mono-beakers -- for everything I have!

T 160, 450 AD
013 São Paulo founded, locking down the Dyes within our borders (at least, until it flips...) --- CH (80T)
IBT
2nd Scout dies as well. That was pointless...
Lisbon --- 5T Horses...
Lagos --- 5T Horses...

T 161, 460 AD
Suddenly realize that I don't have an Embassy with the Vikings, which is why I couldn't see their RoP with the Mayans, dammit...! Embassy in Trondheim costs 78g (but there's more where that came from...)
IBT
Sagres --- 5T Horses
Leiria --- Settler (10T)
Faro --- Settler (30T, Pop3 in 1T)

T 162, 470 AD
I have a lot of Indians and Russians within my borders now -- maybe Gandhi would like an RoP as well...? He wants Dyes for it, so first I sell the Dyes (35g+5GPT), then I offer the RoP (2GPT)
IBT
Russians turn tail and flee (the Babs just dropped a Knight near Yakutsk...)
Coimbra --- Cat (3T, 0FPT)

T 163, 480 AD
Build switched to Settler in Braga (11T, Pop4 in 12T) as well
IBT
Emer --- Spear (10T, 0FPT)

T 164, 490 AD
vSpear to Rio, Sword in Rio to Emer
RoP with Cathy lasts another 13T, if she doesn't break it first. Should be able to get the units I need built in that time
IBT
We lost our Incense! Hammy's broke (how?!?) so the GPT has to be removed from the Dyes-export/Incense-import deal
Evora --- Worker (10T, 0FPT)
Turns 165-175
Spoiler :
T 165, 500 AD
First Indian Musket appears north of Faro
Galley has returned to the north coast of the northern island -- it's been thoroughly colonised...
IBT
Coimbra's Lib does nothing for its borders

T 166, 510 AD
We are AVERAGE vs India again, still WEAK vs Russia, strange...
IBT

T 167, 520 AD
Workers 1+2 begin chopping for Rio's CH-build (can switch to FP later...?), Worker3 adds to the town
IBT

T 168, 530 AD
IBT
Coimbra --- Settler (6T, food wastage in 1T)
Indians begin ShakesT!

T 169, 540 AD
Smoke has finally learnt Rep!
Workers1+2 start mining Iron-Hill (3T)
Mono in 1T...
Which means it's finally time to make peace with Smoke: Rep = Currency+230g+5GPT, which brings him into the Mid-Age. Just hope he goes for something else (Feudalism?) first, so I can swap it for Mono as well...
GAME SAVED
rSpear sent from Coimbra to fortify on Hill above Vladi, which will keep the Indians (and Babs) on flatland, making them easier for the Russians to kill
Spare Swords+Archers sent from Emer to Coimbra -- they have to go via Lagos!
Revolution begins! I draw 6T of Anarchy... :rolleyes:
The revolution will also send all my big towns into riots, unless I Clown my unhappy citizens -- which will wipe out my Treasury unless I turn some of them to Taxmen instead (apart from 1 Geek to finish off Mono). Sagres will starve to Pop5, can't be helped
IBT
Indans and Russians kill each other a bit more. It occurs to me that Gandhi hasn't sent any Iron-bearing attackers into my land for a long time either...
Mono --- Theo (50T with lone-Geek, -1GPT, Treas.=49g)
Indians begin JSBachs

My knowledge of the world, as of 540 AD:

T 170, 550 AD
NTR
IBT
Wellies are slowly but surely advancing south. Hope they won't capture Vladi before I'm ready...

T 171, 560 AD
Galley heads south towards Lisbon (which now needs 2 Clowns to prevent riots at Pop7)
3 more Cats sent towards Coimbra -- they'll be needed to assault Oporto (Pop10)
IBT
Gandhi and Smoke sign MA vs Cathy!
Gandhi and Ragnar sign MA vs Cathy!
Gandhi annihilates Russian LBMs: 3 Wellies are now parked outside Vladi...

T 172, 570 AD
Galley arrives safely back in home waters
IBT
Gandhi would apparently rather have Oporto than Vladi--fine by me
Babs begin JSB

T 173, 580 AD
NTR
IBT

T 174, 590 AD
Rio MM'd to rprevent riot at Pop4
Braga MM'd to prevent growth to Pop4 during Anarchy, before its Settler is built...
1T left before I go to Republic, 3T before I sign an MA with Gandhi as well...
IBT
Vladi's Spears fight Wellies heroically
Cathy signs PT with Hammy! That broke an MA, I believe...
Republic selected! Hooray!
Babs begin ShakesT

T 175, 600 AD
Doubled CPT lets me put LUX% to 10% and get nearly everyone back to work (Clowns still needed in Pop6 towns, one Geek carries on with Theo). Income now +11GPT, and my Horse-import expires shortly...
IBT
Turns 176-186
Spoiler :
T 176, 610 AD
Ready as I'll ever be...
I have 6 Swords, 4 Horses, 2 Archers (1 on the way), 6 Cats (2 on the way) and a Spear in Coimbra, and 2 Horses and 1 Settler due to finish on the IBT:
After cancelling the ROP with Cathy, my rSpear outside Vladi will move back into my territory temporarily, then I will DOW (without an MA, initially) and the Horses will attack Vladi en masse
Assuming I take Vladi in 1T, it will be razed, and a new town will be founded on the Hill where I wanted one in the first place
If there are still Russian LBMs within my borders, reserves will do cleanup and any unmoved Horses will head for Sagres while the Swords+Cat-stack heads for Oporto via the Grass-tile which the Russians can use to attack Coimbra in 1T
Sagres and Braga will have to take their chances...
IBT
We lost our Horses! But Hammy will renew his export on the same terms (11GPT)
Lisbon --- 4T-Horses
Lagos --- 5T-Horses
Leiria --- Worker (5T, Pop2 in 2T)
Babs begin MagVoy!

T 177, 620 AD
Settler to Coimbra, Horses temporarily fortified, Spear withdrawn
ROP with Cathy cancelled -- but I can't ask her to withdraw her troops yet!?!
Oh well, I'll put my Spear back on the Hill (she can boot it in a minute), and let Gandhi remove her troops instead...
IBT
Gandhi renews our PT for free! He won't sell any techs, but he will sell his TMap(+1g) for my WMap
Wellies kill an LBM for us, but only 1. But most of those near Oporto head south!
Then Cathy demands a troop withdrawal! You first, Ma'am...
Emer --- Settler (8T, 0FPT)

T 178, 630 AD
Tit-for-tat demand vs Cathy's LBM--but she complies! Damn, that means I'm going to have to do this the hard way...
I demand Engineering with menaces. She refuses
Vladi attacked by Horses:
2 rSpears killed, 1 Horse lost (Spear promoted to 2/4) -- but there are still at least 2 Spears in there, dammit!
rSpear + 2 rSwords + Settler + 4 Cats sent to Vladi's Hill, 2 new Horses sent to Coimbra
Don't know which way the nearby Russian LBMs will jump, but will most likely attack the Hill (if Gandhi doesn't get them first...)
Sagres may get battered, though...
LUX% pushed to 20% vs WW, allowing me to put everyone back to work more profitably (1 Geek stays on Theo)
Emer and Lagos both switched to building Spears (2-3T), to free up their Swords
GAME SAVED
IBT
Wellie kills 1 LBM, 2nd kills rSpear on Hill (0-1)
But Sagres' Spears fight off 3 LBMs in a row! (3-1)

The newest world-map:

T 179, 640 AD
Worker+Slaves begin mining cleared Dyes-Grass (2T)
Vladi attacked:
Cats go 4/4 hits vs Spears
3/4 Horse kills 2/4 Spear, rSword kills redlined rSpear, and Vladi is captured + razed (=1 Slave) (5-1)
Slave begins roading the ruins (6T)
014 Luanda founded on adjacent Hill --- CH (80T, Pop2 in 10T)
Injured Horses sent to heal in Coimbra
eSword kills 3/4 LBM (6-1)
Sagres' Cat knocks 1HP off 1 of 3 LBMs in Forest outside town
vSword sent from Emer to Leiria, because there's a marauding Russian Caravel off Lisbon
Sword+Horse+Cat+Archer stack sent to Oporto's gates
vHorse promoted vs vLBM (3/5), vSword kills 2nd vLBM outside Sagres (8-1), leaving only the 3/4 LBM
Braga MM'd to grow to Pop4 and finish Settler
IBT
Lagos --- Sword (5T until the amphibious Russian LBM is dead...)
Coimbra --- Sword (6T, Pop5 in 1T)
Braga --- Cat (10T)

T 180, 650 AD
Lagos' rSword kills LBM (9-1)
Sagres' Cats go 2/4 knocking 1HP each off rPike and vSpear
Cats outside Oporto knock 1 HP off 3 rPikes, and there's a 4th rPike as well--3 more Cats sent from Luanda, but in the meantime, I'll let Gandhi take care of some of them...
Workers1+2 begin chopping 2nd Dyes-tile (12T)
IBT
Gandhi wants to talk: TMaps swapped
LBMs attack my stack: 1 wins, 1 dies (10-2)
Lagos riots without warning!
Emer --- Settler (5T, needs MM)

T 181, 660 AD
Sagres' Cats knock 1HP more off Pike outside Oporto, exposing 3/4 Spear
vSword kills Spear, exposing LBM
eHorse kills LBM (12-2)
Cats go 2/7 vs Oporto's Pikes (auto-bombing) -- but Gandhi has a stack of 4 Wellies ready to throw, and 2 more incoming...
IBT
Indian Wellies capture Yakutsk! And Gandhi now has Cavs as well!
Leiria --- Worker (5T, 0FPT)
Treasury warning!
Vikings begin JSB

T 182, 670 AD
Spear+Sword+Cat+Settler go to claim Furs, so that I can reduce LUX%
vHorse rides down rSpear outside Coimbra (13-2)
ROP renewed with Gandhi, then sell him Dyes for 25g+WMap
Oporto's Cats get 2/7 hits again: Stack sits tight...
IBT
Indian forces knock down 3 defenders in Oporto
LBM suicides vs Settler-stack (14-2)
Sagres --- Horse (5T)

T 183, 680 AD
015 Alcácer do Sal founded on Forest ESE of Sagres --- Wall (20T, Pop2 in 7T)
Oporto bombed: 4/7 hits, and the top defender is now a 2/3 Pike
2 Horses retreat, 1 lost killing the remaining defenders, but Oporto falls (2g is ours)! (16-3)
Much as it pains me to do it, the city is razed (= 4 Slaves)
Slaves begin roading (2T) and mining (12T) the ruins
Settler+Spear+Archer+Sword sent to end of peninsula
Coimbra switched to building another Settler (3T)
Coimbra's Walls+Lib sold (30g) -- the next town will be founded between Coimbra's and Oporto's ruins
eSword kills 2/4 LBM nearby (17-3)
I now control 4 Luxes, so LUX% can come down to 10%, putting my GPT back in the black. Just in time!
Lagos switched to Duct (13T), Lisbon to Market (10T), Sagres to Duct (17T)
Drat--Mayans have just learned Feud AND Mono!
IBT
Faro --- Worker (10T, Pop2 in 3T)

T 184, 690 AD
Oh crap, Eridu's border just popped, and now I can't found my planned town without DoWing the Babs!
Units begin retreating -- Hammy will probably boot them
New Settler added to Rio, to get it up to Pop6 Healthy units sent to Alca for imminent attack on Rostov
IBT
Hammy only requests us to move -- no hard-boot! Interesting...
We lost our Incense! Dyes get it back, plus Hammy throws in 60g+1GPT+WMap

T 185, 700 AD
First part of stack crosses border near Rostov
Emer MM'd to finish Settler without overrun (SPT given to other towns); Rax sold (10g)
Rio can now finish its CH in 2T, then a Duct, then the FP at last...
IBT
Cathy signs PT with Gandhi!
Emer --- Settler (10T, until I can mine the nearby Desert)
Coimbra --- Settler (6T, Pop4 in 6T)
Leiria Worker-abandoned
Indians begin Smiths!

T 186, 710 AD
Cats bomb, eHorse kills incoming LBM (18-3)
Remainder of stack arrives in Russia
Workers begin mining cleared Dyes-Grass (2T), Slaves to Jungle SE of SaoP
Lone Workers begin mining Desert (6t) and roading Leiria's ruins (3T)
New Settler added to Luanda
Hmmm... I could get Engineering+5GPT if I made peace with Cathy... but I think I can capture Rostov first...
Sagres MM'd to grow in 1T
GAME SAVED
And here's my progress across the map so far (if you open up the thumbnails one by one, it's almost like a .gif...):
Spoiler :
My troops are currently poised to take the coastal city (Pop7) -- which I want to keep, if possible -- 2SE of my most southerly town (which I only built as an expendable border-expander). After that, I aim to take their next coastal town to the south (which doesn't need to survive), securing the more northerly towns' borders (and my access to the Fur-Forest tiles), and then close off the neck above the southerners' core (which will be a fight, because it's at Pop11).

They already lost their island-town SW of the nearby continent, so if I can get that far and keep most of my stack intact, I should be able to finish them off without any further assistance/ interference from the northerners, or the near-islanders. And my troops will be relatively neatly positioned for a short crossing to invade the next-island neighbours...

Attachments

• C3C Random DG Porties1 minimap 540 AD.png
    C3C Random DG Porties1 minimap 540 AD.png
    38.9 KB · Views: 429
  • C3C Random DG Porties1 minimap 630 AD.png
    C3C Random DG Porties1 minimap 630 AD.png
    38.5 KB · Views: 502
  • C3C Random DG Porties1 minimap 710 AD.png
    C3C Random DG Porties1 minimap 710 AD.png
    42.4 KB · Views: 417
  • Henry of the Portuguese, 710 AD.SAV
    146.8 KB · Views: 193
The first and last ~10T of this ~40 turns were quite eventful, finally ending with the destruction of the Browns, mostly at my hands.

The intervening 20T were not: they were the result of a run of bad luck (or more likely bad judgement) during the initial push, during which I lost most of my stack to Pike-defenders, LBM-attacks or unlikely losses (e.g. a redlined LBM fighting off 2 full-strength vArchers in succession). This forced me to sign a 20T-PT (I got some tech from it at least) while I re-armed and acquired the tech+cash I needed to upgrade my (AA) unit-stack into a sufficiently strong (early Mid-Age) force. I also wanted to get my FP finished before I DoW'd again.

Although I managed to drag my other two nearest neighbours into the conflict using MPPs signed right before I DoW'd the Browns for the second time, the Greys (and Reds) nonetheless managed to became Industrialised during the latter part of this group of turns -- as did the Lilacs, whose attack on the Reds (actually in response to my 'buddy' capturing one of their mainland-towns!) means I am also now 'fighting' them as well. (That DoW also toasted 2 Lux-import-for-GPT-payment deals. I believe I paid lump-sums/Maps as part of one or both deals, though, so I'm hopeful that my trade-rep is still intact...).

I have changed my mind about DoWing the Reds (islanders), through -- they are the most advanced Civ on the map, and I have very little chance of beating them with the units I'm currently fielding. The Greys (northerners; the 2nd most advanced civ!) are now in my sights instead: (1) Their interference prevented my making a clean sweep of the Brown towns, (2) I want to own my continent, because I won't be 'safe' until I do and (3) they have built lots of nice Wonders for me (although unfortunately their GLib is no longer helpful, since I now have Edu).

Turns 186.5-198
Spoiler :
T 186, 710 AD
*snip*
GAME SAVED
Geek assigned in Coimbra for 0FPT, Theo in 36T
Lisbon MM'd for growth in 2T (Market-build now needs 9T, but the sooner I can max. Pop, the more good it will do me)
Currently losing 6GPT, but PT-payment to the Mayans expires soon
IBT
eSword in Rostov attack-stack fights off 1 LBM, but dies to the next (19-4)
Rio --- Duct (13T, food-wastage in 1T)
Babs begin Smiths

T 187, 720 AD
Rostov attacked:
Cats go 6 hits for 9, redlining 1 vPike, yellowing second, and taking 1HP off vSpear
vSword def-bombed by Treb, dies redlining 2nd Pike (19-5)
3 Horses redlined, 2 killed vs Spear (now 2/5); there is 1 more Treb, 2 LBMs to kill (19-7)
vArcher snipes Spear, rSword kills LBM (21-7)
r+vArchers die vs LBM, vSwords take down 4/5 LBM and 1/4 Pike (23-9)
This leaves 1 redlined Pike in the town, and no more units to attack him with :mad:
Various units mobilised from Coimbra and Braga, but can only get as far as Sagres and Alca this turn
LUX% --- 20% to prevent WW-riots
Sagres MM'd for Duct in 10T, Pop7 in 20T
Rio MM'd for 0FPT, Duct in 12T
Slave-pack begins roading Jungle SW of SaoP (4T)
IBT
Injured LBM kills vSpear in Stack (22-9)

T 188, 730 AD
Cats bomb Rostov, redlining the Pike, and redline adjacent LBM as well
vSword dies, rSword kills Pike (23-10)
Rostov (+1g, Rax, Duct, Harbour) captured: injured Attack-units with MP moved in and fortified --- Slave (10T)
eSpear + 2 rSwords fortified on fired Cat-stack; unfired Cats sent to Rostov, Alca and Sagres
Worker 3-pack goes to road Jungle NW of SaoP (1+3T)
Cathy will now give any 1 tech of Monarchy, Engines or Theo for a PT, but not 2 of them: Feud alone is 'close' to a deal
Slaves finish mining Oporto's ruins, sent to assist mining Desert near Luanda (1+1T), rSword sent to Sagres
GAME SAVED
Spare Settler sent to occupy far-easterly corner of our Continent, SE of Yakutsk, NE of Rostov (3T to arrival)
Lisbon MM'd for 2FPT, and Market in 4T
IBT
LBMs kill eSpear and rSword (23-12)
Braga --- Cat (10T, Pop3 in 9T)

T 189, 740 AD
rSword promoted (2/4) killing injured eLBM (24-12)
Alca switched to building Worker (2T, Pop2 in 2T)
Archer+Cats withdrawn from border, towards Alca
Only 1 resistor quelled in Rostov -- town evac'd, Horses sent to Sagres to heal
Spare Settler sent from Braga to found town closer to St Pete's
IBT
PT renewed with Smoke
Indian Archer dies to Russian LBM near Rostov

T 190, 750 AD
Cat bombs, 2/4 Sword kills 1/5 LBM, promotes to 3/5 (25-12)
vSword + Cat move to cover injured eSword
Alca de-garrisoned to act as decoy for incoming LBM
016 Guarda founded SE of Yakutsk --- CH (80T, Pop2 in 7T)
Slaves sent to assist irrigation near Luanda (1T) and mine Mountain near Lagos (18T)
Worker sent to assist mining Desert near Lagos (1+2T)
I now have 15 GPT to spare, so SCI% --- 10% for Theo in 28T, +5GPT
IBT
Spear defeats LBM, rSword not so lucky (26-13)
Alca --- 10T-Workers (Pop2 in 10T)

T 191, 760 AD
Cat bombs, eHorse rides down LBM (27-13)
Stack (9 Cats, 2 Archers, 2 Horses, 2 Spears, 3 Swords, 1 Settler) moved onto Russian Furs SSW of Alca -- leaving 2 Cats exposed outside Rostov
New Worker begins mining Plains near Sagres
SCI% --- 20% gets me Theo in 17T at -4GPT
IBT
vLBM redlined, then kills eHorse outside Alca (27-14)
Lisbon --- Horse (3T, Pop10 in 6T)
Coimbra --- Worker (10T)
Russians begin ShakesT

T 192, 770 AD
017 Castelo Branco founded on Furs, giving me control of all of them
Workers begin chopping Jungle (8T)
Mountain will now be mined in 4T, Desert in 1T
rHorse dies vs redlined LBM as well! rSword avenges both Horse-losses, for promotion to 4/4 (28-15)
IBT
vSpear defeats 1 LBM, dies to 2nd (29-16)
Evora -- Worker (10T, Pop2 in 18T)
Faro --- Settler (30T, Pop2 in 7T)
Palace expansion!
Russians begin JSBs
Indians + Babs begin Newtons

T 193, 780 AD
Cats redline LBM
Swords, Cats and Horse sent to assault Y'burg
New Settler sent to join Lagos next turn (after it builds its Duct)
LUX% --- 30% to prevent riots
New Worker sent to assist clearing Jungle (1+5T)
IBT
Lagos --- Market (10T, Pop7 in 1T)

T 194, 790 AD
Y'burg attacked:
Cats go 3/8 vs Pikes, leaving healthy vSpear on top
vHorse retreats from Spear (now at 2/4)
vSword promoted (2/5) killing 2/3 Pike (30-16)
vSword dies, promoting 2/4 Pike to 3/5 (30-17)
Remaining units sit tight
Cats bomb, vArcher kills 1 LBM outside Castelo (31-17). Hopefully the injured one will retreat...
Lagos will riot if Settler joins, so it's sent on to Luanda, ready to build a 2nd-ring town on what is currently Bab territory...
IBT
Russian 2/3 LBM goes for Rostov!
Lisbon --- Horse (4T, Pop10 in 2T)
Emer --- Worker (5T, Pop2 in 7T)
Braga --- Worker (5T, Pop2 in 3T
Russians are building ShakesT
Indians pop Yakutsk's borders!

T 195, 800 AD
GAME SAVED

Current minimap:

Cats go 5/8 hits on Yakutsk -- both defenders yellow, but vSword dies vs 2/5 Pike (31-18)
Cat bombs, but both Castel's Archers fail to kill the redlined LBM! (31-20)
eSword kills LBM, but now I have only 1 healthy attack unit left in the vicinity -- an rSword covering the Cat-stack. Total. That was CRAP! (32-20)
Since I have nothing left to hit her with, I have to sign a PT with Cathy: she hands over Engines+Theo, I hand over 55g
The end of the war means that LUX% can come down to 20%, Research switched to Feud in 18T at SCI%=20%, +12GPT. Hopefully I'll have some Swords to upgrade by then...
Lisbon switched to building Sword (3T, Pop2 in 2T)
IBT
Smoke demands Theo. I tell him to stuff it, and he backs down. He won't swap it for Feud, though...
Cathy boots the troops outside Y'burg. OK, but they'll be Trebs+Maces when they come back... I try selling her some of 'her' Furs back, but she'll only pay 40g upfront, no GPT
Coimbra Worker-abandoned

T 196, 810 AD
Cats and eSwords sent back to Sagres
018 Badajoz founded 1S of Coimbra's ruins --- Lib (40T, Pop2 in 7T)
3 Workers road ruins immediately, allowing the Slaves to start mining the Desert
Now that the coast is clear, Workers near Sagres go to chop + road the Forest-tiles
Furs sold to Gandhi for WMap+7GPT+5g
Hammy's got no cash, and I can't trade to Ragnar or Smoke without Astro
IBT
We lost our Horses! Hammy wants Furs to send us more. Talk about holding us to ransom...
Sagres --- Market (12T, Pop7 next IBT)
Palace expansion!
Indians begin MagVoy -- but Babs build it in Akkad!
Vikings switch to ShakesT

T 197, 820 AD
Workers begin chopping (4T) -- Alca MM'd to Worker-disband in 2T, so that the chop-shields go to Sagres' Market-build
Slaves begin Jungle-clearance (12T), Workers sent to assist
Smoke and Ragnar are both at war with Cathy! Good, that should keep them occupied...
IBT
Lisbon --- 3T-Swords (Pop11 in 5T)
Rostov --- 10T Slaves (quelled citizen will stay Geeked to prevent growth)
Vikings switch to Smiths
Babs are now Industrial!

T 198, 830 AD
IBT
Babs and Indians sign MPP! Damn, that means Hammy got Nationalism as his freebie
Turns 199-210
Spoiler :
T 199, 840 AD
Workers chop Forest into Faro's Settler-build (now 14T, Pop2 in 1T)
Emer should Worker-abandon next turn: Walls sold, Spear moved to Luanda,
Luanda's Spear to Bada
Horses sent to quell resistors in Rostov
Alca set to Worker-abandon
IBT
Ragnar demands 29g. I pay. Three Galleys (full of Zerks?) sail past Guarda and Rostov. Cathy's in trouble...
Hammy wants to talk: we swap WMaps, and then I ask for an MPP, for which I pay 2GPT. If anyone gets nasty, that should help me a little...
Emer Worker-abandoned
Rio --- FP (25T, Pop7 next IBT)
Alca Worker-abandoned
Palace expansion!

T 200, 850 AD
New Workers road ruins (3T)
Workers begin mine on newly cleared BGrass near Faro (2T)
Slaves+Worker go to finish Jungle-chop (3T)
Horses have quelled 2 more resistors in Rostov -- 1 Geeked for more beakers
GAME SAVED
GAME CRASH! Reloaded...
Faro switched to building a(nother) Galley, for eventual upgrading to Carracks
Braga switched to building Temple, for more Culture vs Yak
Luanda now at Pop6, so needs SPT not FPT (CH now in 3T)
IBT

Newest territory acquistions:

T 201, 860 AD
Sagres' Workers begin roads (3T)
IBT
Lagos --- 3T-Swords (Pop8 in 6T)

T 202, 870 AD
Rostov no longer restive -- 3 citizens + 2 Geeks will finish next Slave in 2T
Horses return to Sagres
Evora will Worker-abandon next turn: Walls sold, Sword moved to SaoP
IBT
Gandhi cancels our RoP, but has no cash for our Dyes
Luanda --- Duct (15T, 0FPT)
Evora abandoned
Babs build JSBs in Nineveh!

T 203, 880 AD
Worker joined to Rio
Worker begins roading Evora's ruins (3T), Workers go to mine it as well (1+3T)
Cats upgraded in Sangres (11*30g)
Treas.=40g, but I'm now making +51GPT (Feud in 14T)
IBT
Lisbon -- Spear (2T, Pop11 in 1T)
Rostov --- Slave (5T)

T 204, 890 AD
Worker joined to Lagos
Gems purchased from Ragnar for 11GPT+WMap
IBT
We lost our Incense! Dyes gets it back, plus 7GPT
Lagos --- Horse (3T, until I can give the 2SPT tiles back to it)

T 205, 900 AD
Workers+Slaves begin foresting near SaoP
Lagos MM'd for 15 SPT (2T Horses, 0FPT), Worker sent to join it
Horse scouts Y'burg -- ePike still on top
IBT
Cathy asks us to remove ourselves
Lisbon --- 3T-Horses (Pop12 in 9T)
Sagres --- Spear (3T, Pop8 in 3T)
Indians build ShakesT in Kohlapur

T 206, 910 AD
Workers joined to Lagos and Rio
IBT
Babs build Newtons in Babylon

T 207, 920 AD
Forest chopped into SaoP'S CH (now 10T to finish, so bought for 80g)
GAME SAVED

The calm before the storm:

Horse scouts St Pete's -- top defender is a vSpear!
Newly re-hooked Dyes (+1GPT) exported to Scandinavia, in exchange for Ivory (my 6th Lux)
Castelo switched to building Rax -- healing units will be more important than building Culture, if the next push vs. Russia is to be successful
IBT
SaoP --- Duct (25T, Pop6 in 3T)

T 208, 930 AD
LUX% --- 10%. Can't drop it to 0% yet, or Rio will rio-t
Worker joins Sagres (Pop9 and Spear-build now both in 1T)
Workers + Slaves near SaoP redistributed to finish mining chopped Dyes (1T), and foresting mined Dyes (2T)
IBT
Cathy + Ragnar kiss and make up
Lisbon --- Horse (3T). Couple more of these, then I'll build a Harbour so I can give away the 4FPT tiles
Rostov --- Slave (5T)
Sagres --- Spear (2T)

T 209, 940 AD
New Horses sent to Castelo
Workers sent to forest another mined BGrass near SaoP (3T)
Slaves begin foresting Grass 2NE of Rio (9T)
Sagres' Spear(s) fortify: they'll be upgraded, then distributed before the next war starts
PT with Cathy expires in 6T, Feud arrives in 9T at SCI%=10 +72GPT, 5T at SCI%=20, +55GPT -- but I want enough gold for mass Sword- and Spear-upgrades at least 1T before I DoW
IBT

T 210, 950 AD
Newly planted Forest immediately chopped into SaoP's Duct-build
IBT

Attachments

• C3C Random DG Porties1 minimap 920 AD.png
    C3C Random DG Porties1 minimap 920 AD.png
    38.2 KB · Views: 396
  • C3C Random DG Porties1 minimap 850 AD.png
    C3C Random DG Porties1 minimap 850 AD.png
    38.3 KB · Views: 382
  • C3C Random DG Porties1 minimap 800 AD.png
    C3C Random DG Porties1 minimap 800 AD.png
    42.3 KB · Views: 502
  • Henry of the Portuguese, 920 AD.SAV
    142.8 KB · Views: 195
Turns 211-220
Spoiler :
T 211, 960 AD
Workers and Slaves begin re-mining chopped Dyes near SaoP (2T)
Spare Slaves go to forest another Grass near Rio (9T)
Workers+Slaves begin foresting irrigated Grass near Bada
Luanda MM'd to complete Duct (6T), then grow to Pop7 (8T)
St.Pete attack-stack begins assembling near Castelo: I already have 5 vHorses (+ 1 about to complete) but only 4 vSwords (+2 eSwords, which I don't want to upgrade yet), so Lisbon is switched to building another vSword (1T)
We are AVERAGE vs Russia (they have Spears+LBMs, possibly Horsemen, plus any residual Pikes in their unbesieged cities), WEAK vs India (they have Rifles+Cavs)
IBT
Lisbon --- Sword (3T, Pop12 in 3T)
Braga --- Treb (8T, growth in 3T)
Faro --- Temple (30T, before chops/buys)

T 212, 970 AD
NTR
IBT

T 213, 980 AD
More forestry begun/ sped up near Rio
FP will now complete in 5T. Should probably finish that before I begin the war as well...
Spare Settlers sent SW, to replace Rostov (will reach Pop2 in 1T) and Y'burg (after I capture it)
Harbour sold off in Rostov. Should probably sell the Rax as well, but I might need it...
IBT
Rostov --- Slave (5T)
Indians build Smiths in Lahore!

T 214, 990 AD
Yakutsk's borders have popped again, impinging on territory between Sagres and Rostov. Luckily the Indians haven't grabbed any Furs, but it is going to make things more awkward later, when Rostov disappears
GAME SAVED
IBT
Lisbon --- Sword (3T)

T 215, 1000 AD
Vikings have gone Industrial!
IBT

T 216, 1010 AD
Workers+Slaves pool their efforts outside Bada to mine the chopped BGrass in 1T
Completion of forest-ops near Rio mean the FP will now finish in 1T, so Workers set to chop both tiles in 2T (for Market -- will cash-rush the rest), rest fortified in place ready to assist with re-mining
Russian-doom stack now consists of 8 vHorses (+1 in production), 2 eSwords + 11 Trebs, with 4 vSpears (+1 in production) and 6 vSwords (+1 in production) ready to upgrade in Sagres (Treas.= 786g, net income = 69GPT). And I am now STRONG vs Russia
IBT
We lost our Horses! Hammy is happy to supply more (+WMap+120g) for our Furs. Risky, but I should now be able to hold onto the Fur-tiles without a problem...
Gandhi, however, can't afford to buy our Furs anymore, although he'll happily sell me Feud for them... (I need 2T to get it myself). Instead, I buy Edu for Furs+WMap+32GPT. That should keep him friendly...
Castel --- Walls (7T, Pop4 in 2T)
Luanda --- Market (17T, Pop7 in 1T)
Lagos --- Spear (2T, but should auto-convert to a Pike-build)
Sagres --- Sword (3T, but should auto-convert to a Mace-build)
Rio builds FP (at last!) --- Market (7T)
Palace expansion (2 extensions added)!

T 217, 1020 AD
Workers+Slaves moved away from the Russian border (nothing more for them to do ATM)
IBT
Feud --- Invention (13T at SCI%=30, -4GPT, Treas.=975g before the upgrades)
Bada --- Duct (34T after MM for more CPT, less FPT, Pop5 in 1T)

T 218, 1030 AD
Northern Worker+Slave-stack set to mining chopped Grass-tiles (1T, 3T)
Rio set to +0FPT: Market will now build in 4T, so I won't bother with paying (260g) to rush it
7 Swords, 7 Spears upgraded (14*30 = 420g)
Southern Worker+Slave stack begin foresting mined Grass near Luanda (2T)
IBT
Lisbon --- Mace (3T)
Rostov --- Slave (10T, 0FPT with Geek)
Lagos --- Mace (3T, Pop10 in 6T)

T 219, 1040 AD
New vPikes sent out to non-Rax towns, Spears from those towns sent back to nearest Rax-towns to be upgraded as well (1 this turn= 30g, rest will be done next turn)
vMaces + 1 vPike join the stack, 2 vPikes, 2 eSwords and 3 Trebs sent to garrison Castel, standing by to repel boarders...
Idle Workers will join Lagos next turn, and Rio when the Market is built (3T)
IBT
Hammy wants to cancel our MPP! But I'd have to pay lump-sum to renew it on the IBT, because I'm deficit-spending right now
Guarda --- Temple (12T)

T 220, 1050 AD
Lagos now at Pop12 and -2FPT until I build a Harbour (1T)
Nearly all remaining Spears upgraded (4*30g)
For some reason, Sagres fell short of building its Mace by 1s, so Mace-build switched to Gran (2T) to avoid massive overrun
Doom-stack moved into Castel, SCI% dropped to 20% (Invention now in 13T, +32GPT)
MPP renewed with Hammy for 4GPT+10g
MPP signed with Gandhi for 8GPT+15g
Cathy 'invited' to give us Astro for continued peace. She refuses. Oh dear
IBT
Cathy's bravest vLBM duly attacks Castel, incurring the wrath of the Indians and Babs, and dying into the bargain (vPike is redlined) (1-0)
Lagos --- Lib (5T)
Braga --- Treb (10T)
Turns 221-230
Spoiler :
T 221, 1060 AD
Cat, vSpear and rSword upgraded in Lagos (3*30g)
Rio MM'd for more CPT, less SPT (Market in 1T)
Stack moves SW from Castel, adjacent to St.Petes
Walls rushed in Castel (20g)
IBT
Hammy DoWs Ragnar! This might get inconvenient...
Gandhi looses Cavs from Yakutsk vs. Y'burg! One wins, one dies -- and more Cavs cross our northern border. This could get tricky...
Lisbon --- Lib (6T)
Castel --- Mace (8T)
Sagres --- Mace (4T, unless I can liberate StPetes this turn)
Rio --- Harbour (2T)

T 222, 1070 AD
Last rSword upgraded (30g)
Oh CRAP! Who sold Iron to Cathy?!?
St.Petes attacked:
Trebs go 4/9 hits against 4 Pikes that have just appeared out of nowhere!
Trebs and 1 vPike sent out of Castel to join stack
Rest of stack stays put, apart from 1 Horse to investigate Y'burg: the ePike is still on top
With the increased income from the Market-build in Rio, SCI% -- 30% for Invention in 7T, +3GPT
IBT
Indians lose another Cav near St Petes
Horse-scout retreats from LBM

T 223, 1080
The Babs have actually invaded Scandinavia!
Trebs bomb St Petes again:
Pikes have not healed from the last turn and the RNG is knider this time (7/11) -- 3 out of the (top) 4 defenders are now redlined, 1 yellow
vMaces sent in: first 4 attackers are successful, 2 are promoted (3/5, 5/5), and that's all that was needed (5-0)
St.Petes (+1g, Rax, Market, Duct, Bank -- but 11 resistors!) is ours! --- Settler (30T)
Horses and Mace mop up nearby LBMs (8-0)
Don't know why the Russian Pikes didn't heal between turns, but I don't care: all available attack-units with MP moved in to quell resistance, Governator switched on to manage unhappiness/ starve the town
IBT
Rio --- Rax (3T)
We lose our Gems + Ivory as Ragnar attacks Hammy! (on the bright side, I'm now making +26GPT -- pity I'll have to spend it on LUX%...)

T 224, 1090 AD
LUX% --- 20% for +4GPT
StPetes has only 3 resistors quelled, so it's evac'd:
Injured units return to Castel, eSwords wait outside St Petes, reinforced by rMace and vPike from Sagres
Remainder of stack (6 Horses, 6 Maces, 2 Pikes, 12 Trebs) transferred to Y'burg
IBT
We lost our Incense! But Hammy renews the deal as is (Incense + 7GPT = Dyes)
Russian LBM kills Pike in stack -- our first Casualty (8-1)
Sagres -- Pike (2T)

T 225, 1100 AD
Y'burg attacked:
Trebs go 6 for 12, revealing 4 Pikes here, too -- top one is 3/4
Maces are nonetheless again successful, taking the town (+2 g, Rax, Duct, Harbour, and 5 resistors) without casualties (12-1)
eMace and vHorse mop up nearby LBMs (14-1)
Y'burg garrisoned with additional 7 uninjured units, Governator switched on -- Settler (30T)
GAME SAVED
IBT
Viking Frigs+Galleon appear off Rostov!
Lagos --- Pike (2T)
SaoP -- Lib (16T, Pop7 in 8T)

Going... down?

T 226, 1110 AD
Only 1 resistor quelled in Y'burg -- all units evac'd bar 1 vPike (I'm hoping that the Vikings are going after Bada or Sagres, which are currently unguarded)
Injured units to Castel to heal, remainder of stack (8 vHorses, 5 v+eMaces, 2 eSwords, 3 vPikes, 12 Trebs) begins trek towards Novgorod, 'coincidentally' blocking Indian Cav-access past St Pete's :evil:
SaoP MM'd for Pop7 in 4T, 8 Slaves woken up and sent to chop into Lib-build
Market rushed in Luanda (48g, but I'll then be able to join the 2 Workers)
IBT
Smoke and Ragnar sign Embargo vs. me! We'll see about that...
Luanda --- Rax (5T, Pop8 in 6T)
Sagres --- PIke (2T)
Rio --- Lib (7T until I can give it some more SPT)

T 227, 1120 AD
Slaves blocked from chopping the Forest I wanted
Rio MM'd: Lib now in 6T
Stack arrives outside Novgorod
Mayans are now up half a dozen techs on me! HOW?!?
IBT
Lisbon -- Harbour (3T)
Lagos --- 2T-Pikes

T 228, 1130 AD
Novgorod attacked:
Trebs go 8 for 12, redlining rPike, 2 rSpears, and bringing vPike to 2/4
Maces kill Pikes (1 lost), eSwords kill Spears, no MGLs (18-2)
Town (0g, Market, Duct, Harbour, and SisChap) captured, units moved in --- Settler (30T)
With any luck, the Indian Cavs will now waste themselves against Moscow (nearest target)...
SaoP gets 10s towards its Lib (12T to complete, Pop7 in 2T), extra Slave starts mining chopped BGrass (12T)
Lagos and Lisbon MM'd for more efficient builds
SCI% --- 10% for Invention in 1T, +58GPT
No-one wants to talk yet...
Workers joined to Luanda (Rax now in 4T)
IBT
Invention --- Astro (10T at SCI%=30%, +15GPT)
Sagres --- 2T-Pikes

T 229, 1140 AD
Novg evac'd (bar 1 Pike), stack moves to Moscow
IBT
Fighting around Moscow and Yaroslav' costs various AI-Civs various units, but none of mine are attacked
Lisbon --- 2T-Pikes
Gandhi DoWs Ragnar!

T 230, 1150 AD
Moscow attacked:
Trebs go 7 for 12, redlining all defenders except a vSpear (2/4)
Horse dies redlining Spear, but Maces+Swords kill 'em all, 1 vMace promoted (5/5) (22-3)
Moscow (0g, Treb, Gran, Duct, Pyramids) captured -- and that's the end of Cathy's reign, because Gandhi already took Yaroslav! AWESOME!
Units moved into Moscow, Nov and StPetes to quell resistors ASAP, now they can't flip (to the Russians, anyway)
Vikings do seem to be targeting Sagres, so Pikes (re)moved from Lisbon, to encourage Ragnar to sail back the other way...
GAME SAVED
The state of my world...
Spoiler :
And the state of my thoughts:
Spoiler :
My main problem now is the Indians. They now own 2 (ex-Russian) towns within 'my' natural borders, and are the 2nd most advanced civ on the map. Our MPP still has 10T to run, unless I can get them to break it by DoWing me -- which would incidentally also save me 30GPT. However, I am WEAK against them, and will likely stay that way until I can get Rifles or Infs -- by which time they may well have Tanks. I'd also need to rearrange my forces before provoking any hostilities, so I don't lose half a dozen cities to Cav-attacks on the first IBT of the war.

Tech-situation is also not good. I am now dead last, as far as I can tell: I still need Astro (current research-project: 11T to completion at SCI%=30%), Gunpowder, Chem, Metals, Magnets and ToG to reach the Industrial Age. CivAssist estimates nearly 90T to finish those at current settings, but even at SCI%=50%, it will still be 50T. I would probably be better off putting SCI% to 10%, or even zero, and buying the techs I need -- if I can. In that regard, I am 'lucky': I still haven't had my GA.

There's very little chance of my triggering a Wonder-GA now, so it'll have to be a UU-triggered. I have a couple of Galleys waiting to be upgraded to Carracks once Astro comes in (and can build more while I wait, since I don't need land-units right now), so if I can Treb-bomb and then sink a stray (Viking) ship (or successfully repel an attacking ship), that will do it. I could then use the extra productivity and trade to build up my treasury and military for a push against Gandhi: if I can buy Gunpowder and Metals (and Saltpeter, if I don't have any), I can at least upgrade my Pikes and Trebs for a better chance vs. his Cavs and Rifles...

Attachments

• Henry of the Portuguese, 1150 AD.SAV
    151.2 KB · Views: 208
  • C3C Random DG Porties1 minimap 1100 AD.png
    C3C Random DG Porties1 minimap 1100 AD.png
    36.6 KB · Views: 406
  • C3C Random DG Porties1 minimap 1150 AD.png
    C3C Random DG Porties1 minimap 1150 AD.png
    36.6 KB · Views: 409
Doing small maps looks like it's a good strategy. I'm going to try it to improve in my gaming as well.

Top Bottom