Broken Star - Is the AI too dumb?

I just started looking at the mods in Civ 4 so I started a game of broken star. I loved the mod nad quickly realized that I needed to kill some AI to get oil. I was so engrossed in doing this, however, that I didn't even notice how little the AI was doing. Only the yellow AI took any cities and his attack force was so lame that I DOW on him. So here I am with 5 or so captured cities and none of the AI have even attacked, much less aquired oil. :confused:

Is this typical? Is the AI extremely bad on broken star?

(I tried to post my save but I've never done it before so I'm not sure it will work)

Attachments

• Russia.CivBeyondSwordSave
    172.8 KB · Views: 131
Yeah, it's a known problem; I don't think the AI can handle modern warfare on such a large scale.

I usually end up bulldozing through with Mobile Artillery and Mech Infantry. Just tool up your land with Workers and you'll win.

I played Broken Star twice, once on accident. You know you've got a problem when a game's so easy, people don't bother playing it.

Broken Star needs the AI players to get aggressive in order to keep the rebels from dominating. I see little sign that they buy good units and build up a decent army. Instead, they mostly turtle within their borders, skirmishing a little, and build settlers.

Which, BTW, cost so much that it isn't, usually, worth building settlers at all, since you can just take rebel cities.

Still, the rebel AI seems far too coordinated. While it takes them some time to get rolling, they are hard to stop. I thought I was doing OK, in my last game at Monarch (the orange eastern folks). I'd taken a couple cities and captured a nuke silo. Only to see the rebels take out one of the other AIs, and a succession of "20 turns to get the codes" messages about the rebels. So what, I have a nuke. I can't do anything to stop the AI from getting theirs (across the map). I'd be content if any AI could take them out, but they just sit at home and die. Another AI went down, before the nukes started to fly.

First rebel nuke was against me, and losing my capital pretty much ended my useful productivity. I could still pillage and buy, but my economy was toasted. The rebels, having taken down two AIs with just raw military, proceded to nuke and kill the others, before finishing off my last city. I'd captured another nuke silo, but it was too little too late. Even if I'd have gotten the nuke, blasting a rebel city is like shooting one elephant in a charging herd.

So, what doesn't the AI do? First, it never captures oil. Part of not capturing anything at all, but the only likely way to get that first oil city is to save cash (no research) and buy an army quick before the rebels build up. Second, it doesn't build up enough forces period before invading.

Now, because the rebels are essentially one huge nation, with loads of resources and airports for airlifts, they tend to blow away every player in potential power. Unless every AI goes after them and slows them down, their ability to concentrate defense forces and counterattack against the human. Your own success is your downfall, as the rebels go after you.

Position may matter. I think that my choice was bad. Two nukes close by, but the only oil city has lots of rebel cities to reinforce it. Maybe I should have taken down my nice neighbors, given that they were both less powerful -- easier to take down than the rebels -- and less than useful as allies. But I figured that would be out of character and unfair. My goal was to first defeat the rebels, and then dominate the other players.

If the rebels were less coordinated, and less capable of fielding large advanced armies (their production is way higher than all players combined), it would still be challenging and dangerous to take them on. As it is, you can get a few cities crushed before the rebels hit their stride, and then, how do you stop them from getting nukes and taking you out?

I found the AI rebels far too powerful too. I was unable to capture cities because they'd just bring in oodles of reinforcements from across the world. I started in the Far East, took Vladivostock, but was never able to get oil before, as you described, the nuke landed.

Seemed too random.

The problem is that Broken Star uses the BtS default AI. BtS civs don't invade until they have produced enough forces to create a SOD capable of taking down the entire civ they are at war with without reinforcements. Obviously, in Broken Star, that cannot happen. The AI is also not aware of the ability to buy units/XP; unless there is a python override coded in there, the AI will not do either, ever. The AI runs by quantity, not quality, so it can never succeed in Broken Star. The AI updates in the various patches improve big civs more than little ones, so while the rebels get better in each patch, the regular civs stay the same. The AI is also not capable of taking resources from other civs that it does not have, which is why it doesn't get oil.

I actually lose this mod, just the way it is. Sure it's difficult- that's a good thing, most of the mods are way too easy. The trick is you have to use air strikes to constantly weaken the rebels and keep them on the defensive. Don't go for the nukes until you can grab 4 all at once, that's just a waste of units that could be used to capture rebel cities instead. The other AI civs are your allies- they won't do much, but cooperate with them as much as you can.

Top Bottom