Building improvements in other civ's territory (Civ 5)

iammaxhailme

Emperor
I remember back in the day, me and a friend played a Civ 5 game where I build my unique improvement in thier land. This was years ago.

However I am playing a game now (Just with AI) and I can no longer do this. It says you can't build an improvement outside of your territory. I have open borders with the civ. The same thing is also happening with city states that I am allied with. Does anyone know if this is something that was adjusted in a patch, or could it be a mod doing it? I'm using tons of mods. I can still build roads/railroads, but not farms, my unique improvement, etc.

I remember back in the day, me and a friend played a Civ 5 game where I build my unique improvement in thier land. This was years ago.

However I am playing a game now (Just with AI) and I can no longer do this. It says you can't build an improvement outside of your territory. I have open borders with the civ. The same thing is also happening with city states that I am allied with. Does anyone know if this is something that was adjusted in a patch, or could it be a mod doing it? I'm using tons of mods. I can still build roads/railroads, but not farms, my unique improvement, etc.
Correct, you can't improve tiles outside your own borders. You CAN build roads, and I think forts (not sure, rarely build them) outside your territory.

In my current game, as Elizabeth, I DW'd the Ottomans, took their capital and then Declared Peace [DP'd] (on a large Inverted Earth map) .
I have filled my end of the eastern African Ocean to the Proto Tibetan mountain range; which is why I took on the Ottomans to "turn the northern corner" of the map ... to get to Alex's Greece . mines
While I was DP'ing the Ottomans (who still HAD 6 cities); Alex got frisky and DW'd the Ottomans taking 5 cities in a few turns . Liz and Sulliman quickly did Embassys and Open Borders; as I DW'd Greece to aid my ally .
My workers have been able to repair farms, and build/repair roads in the re-conquered areas .

You've always been able to repair outside your territory. Common "cheat" is to put a worker under a combat unit while attacking a city, combat unit takes damage, combat unit pillages tile for healing, worker then repairs pillaged improvement/route so combat unit can pillage it again to heal

Portugal can build their Feitoria within the borders of other city-states. Was this perhaps what you were thinking of?

Top Bottom