Byzantine and Ottomans in the same game

tetley

Head tea leaf
So...I started a land map, and discovered Istanbul. The Ottomans are my next door neighbors. Great! :) That won't last long. And then, I discovered my other next door neighbors: the Byzantines. Their capital: Constantinople.

Um...huh?

After Constantine the Great made it the new eastern capital of the Roman Empire in 330 AD, the city became widely known as Constantinopolis (Constantinople), which, as the Latinized form of "Κωνσταντινούπολις" (Konstantinoúpolis), means the "City of Constantine"

The name İstanbul derives from the Medieval Greek phrase "εἰς τὴν Πόλιν" (pronounced [is tin ˈpolin]), which means "in the city"

[all quotes from wikipedia]

Just because they refer to the same city in our world, there is no reason they would refer to the same city in the world you are playing in.

Civ V isn't the first game that both the Byzantines and the Ottomans have been in. Even where the Byzantine capital is Byzantium, that's still the same city. I don't know why this is a shock to you.

Get your fainting couch ready: The Romans are in this game with their capital of Rome, and Vatican City is a city-state, and they can both be in a game at the same time.

Byzantion would be more palatable in my book. But alas, I can't rename the city because I'm not the Byzantines. I will have to wait until I take over the city, slaughter the men, and brutally enslave all the women and children first.

The city overlap between Byzantium and Ottomans is not limited to only Constantinople, for obvious reasons.

Eh, it's not the only one. In other games, Londinium was a Roman city, etc.

The Ottoman capital should be Istanbul and the Byzantine capital should be Constantinople. If the only objection to including both civs is something limited to a world map, it's not a very strong argument.

I think it is amusing :D

Also when Washington plops down New York next to England's York. Like "Oh, regular York still exists...? So last century, New York is the place to live"

The solution is clear. Invade England and rename "York" to "Dork". And draw a goatee and mustache on Elizabeth's picture.

The solution is clear. Invade England and rename "York" to "Dork". And draw a goatee and mustache on Elizabeth's picture.

One time I played as Denmark and started alone on an island with England. Needless to say, I was more than obligated to grab York and change the name to Jorvik.

Smallfish, you team your AI up together?

Smallfish, you team your AI up together?

Yeah, back in the day... they sometimes bring interesting games to the spotlight eh. One thing I noticed is that random teams have a better chance of performing well in the game than those you select beforehand. Like in that shot above - both Washington and Biz never performed well, even though Biz had his own entire continent to play with... and the Iron Chancellor would do randomly inane things like settle his third city twenty tiles away from his capital and on another continent

In contrast, there was this Swedish Emperor game where I handpicked Biz and a random leader together...

That other leader was a runaway terror who forced the other surviving inhabitant of their continent to throw nukes in desperation

Spoiler :

I scoped the replays after winning SV - Mayans got tripled team by Biz and his team-mate, and that Darius there. Poor Pacal never stood a chance between LKs and Immortals.:(

I think it is amusing.

Also when Washington plops down New York next to England's York. Like "Oh, regular York still exists...? So last century, New York is the place to live"

Another good one: when Napoleon settles Orleans and Washington goes and settles New Orleans right near it.

Actually, many of the CSs have at one time or another been a part of one (or several) other civs.

Vatican City (inside the city of Rome within the Roman Empire)
Jerusalem (at times in English hands, Arabian hands, etc.)
Hanoi (French, Japan)
Marrakesh (Arabian)
Zurich (Roman)
Tyre (Greece, English crusaders, Arabian Empire)

And so on...

Top Bottom