Byzantine UHV3 and tactics

Well there is no URV, so the third UHV could be to reestablish the Pentarchy by having an Orthodox Cathedral in all of Constantinople, Antioch, Jerusalem and Alexandria, and also have a higher score / more population than the Catholics thus establishing dominion over Rome.

That would be a much more challenging UHV (along with the Byzantine game in general) if the AI Arabs would also flip Antioch, Edessa and Egypt. At the moment it's too easy for the human player to bottle then up and kill then quickly.

Pretty sure the AI flip zones can be set larger than the human ones / made conditional on the start. I think that's definitely desirable for the Arabs, and arguably also Germany and Burgundy as at the moment France is too easy once the first UHV is done.

I do plan to update Byzantium along similar lines, but only after the timeline was extended.
For now, I'm only willing to add quick improvements/changes. Like the Imperialism civic with some additional goals to the 1st UHV.
Any suggestions, with keeping that in mind?

for the first goal, i would suggest something like this:

The Justinian Empire:

Reconquer Croatia, Carthago, Italy and Hispania (all historical/contested borders, in total there are 8 cities, Ragusa, Neapolis, Pisa, Carthago, Barcino,Hispania, Tangiers and Ifraqqlya)

for the first goal, i would suggest something like this:

The Justinian Empire:

Reconquer Croatia, Carthago, Italy and Hispania (all historical/contested borders, in total there are 8 cities, Ragusa, Neapolis, Pisa, Carthago, Barcino,Hispania, Tangiers and Ifraqqlya)
That seems a little too much for me (at least until the extra turns are added for the first few centuries of the mod).
For now, we should aim for a representation, a general direction instead of the full empire.

I do plan to update Byzantium along similar lines, but only after the timeline was extended.
For now, I'm only willing to add quick improvements/changes. Like the Imperialism civic with some additional goals to the 1st UHV.
Any suggestions, with keeping that in mind?

I think changing the 3rd UHV might be easier to do without having to make any timeline (or other major) changes.

Wait, what about an intermediate goal for UHV1 for now? Something like control Dalmatia, Southern Italy, and Sicily by 1025 while also keeping the Constantinople culture and pop goal? Representing the later, more modest ambitions of Macedonian Byzantium?

Wait, what about an intermediate goal for UHV1 for now? Something like control Dalmatia, Southern Italy, and Sicily by 1025 while also keeping the Constantinople culture and pop goal? Representing the later, more modest ambitions of Macedonian Byzantium?

That's a good option imo - control the territories of the Macedonian Dynasty by 1025AD:

Requires the historical conquest of Bulgaria and the Balkans, together with more expansion into Italy, the Med, Crimea and Eastern Anatolia, and also the recapture of Antioch and Edessa which should, imo, be flipped by AI Arabs.

Can also add Sicily to make it more of a challenge, and trigger some immediate conflict with Sicily as a civ when it is added.

This idea seems to be hard. Or just I think that, convert X population into your religion is extremely hard?

Macedonian Byz, seems doable, but they should get some boost to settler production.

Last edited:
This idea seems to be hard. Or just I think that, convert X population into your religion is extremely hard?

Macedonian Byz, seems doable, but they should get some boost to settler production.

It's a UHV, they are supposed to be hard!

I don't think they need any boosts tbh - they have 150 turns to do it and have a massive base from which to start.

Eight settlers needed for Opsikion, Colonea, Morea, Epirus, Arberia / Macedonia (can cover those two with one), Bosnia, Calabria and Crimea.
Conquer Antioch, Edessa, Moesia (Bulgaria), Serbia (Ras), Dalmatia (Ragusa & Zara), Slavonia (Sisak), Apulia, Sicily, Rhodes, Crete and Cyprus (add indie cities on those last two islands).

If Antioch, Edessa and Egypt are added to the AI Arab flip zone then the Byzantine player knows they will lose those cities, and so will use them as settler and worker farms in the early game. Jerusalem, Antioch and Alexandria can all produce a settler before the Arab spawn, whilst Tyre and Edessa can produce three workers each which allows you to settle most of the good core cities by the time of the Arab spawn, then snowball into the UHV.

I will test it a bit later this week if I get a chance, but it is definitely doable with a good strategy.

I would also suggest to let Dalmatia and Slavonia as contested borders, as Foreign seems too harsh and not historical, by this time..

I would also suggest to let Dalmatia and Slavonia as contested borders, as Foreign seems too harsh and not historical, by this time..

That's a good call - at least until after the Macedonian period and the 1st UHV date.

Top Bottom