[UNIT] c2c iron mine issues

headsmash

Chieftain
Hey i seem to be a stupid moron. I have iron, and an iron mine, yet cant make units that apparently need these resources, they are connected any everything. WTF am i missing, this is infuriating me.

The units usually need iron wares, not just the ore. This is different from Civ4 vanilla.

You need the mine itself (on the map) and the iron mine building in the adjacent city, then you can build the iron smelter. This gives you iron ingots and allows you in any city where you have a forge to build the iron smith, giving you iron wares.

This system already exists for copper, bronze, and various other metals / alloys.

As TMV explains, the way our system is setup plots out the transition of the ore into ingots, into wares, and part of that is about considering the distance of transporting ore and infrastructure demands requiring more advanced roads in some cases. Just having a route out to a distant iron mine is not enough depending on your technological reach regarding your best transportation methods. Therefore, mines closer to your cities are more likely to be useful earlier.

Huh, THIS is seemingly why I often have similar problems and totally gave up on trying to understand the WHY behind them.
It's not really built into the road system so much as the road improvements on the tech tree. If you need access to stuff from further out mines or forts, you'll need the national smelter which you have to wait quite a while for on the tech tree.

It's not really built into the road system so much as the road improvements on the tech tree. If you need access to stuff from further out mines or forts, you'll need the national smelter which you have to wait quite a while for on the tech tree.
Let's be honest:
A lot of times a lot of buildings "just pop up out of nowhere" after being unavailable for a while, despite "seemingly having all of their prerequisites fulfilled".
This usually applies to metals and animals as resources - you can "have" it, yet NOT.
I already got used to simply "going with the flow of The Random" and ignore it most of the time, simply "catching the fish that I can" whenever it finally appears.
But it's still annoying.

There's some tech tree shenanigans where some items are "enabled" after they're "discovered", usuaslly due to some missing prerequisite that has a different unlock path and can be unlocked after the item it unlocks.

After years of playing this explain a lot. But can you give us more details, like how far can be mine with basic trail/road from city?

Huh, THIS is seemingly why I often have similar problems and totally gave up on trying to understand the WHY behind them.
This is why you play to learn the system of the Mod's mechanics Before you try to circumvent them; so you can "get ahead".

After years of playing this explain a lot. But can you give us more details, like how far can be mine with basic trail/road from city?
Needs to be in your Cultural area of control. That is why palisades/forts are important for resources outside your normal cultural boundaries. Surely you have noticed the AI doing this very thing?

For the earlier local smelters to be built, the metal resource needs to be in workable range of the city (2 or 3 tiles out depending on how big the culture of the city is or depending on the setting of the 3rd tile Administration Access option). THEN, improved and routed is sufficient to build the local smelter. If it's outside that range, you need the national smelter (and you also need cultural control as Joseph explains) to solve for that. Once the smelter is built, you can build a metal forge of that type I think just about anywhere thanks to ingot access (so you may be able to trade for ingots from some other nation?) That forge makes the wares that is usually the actual prereq for things that require that metal in a worked format.

(This is how it was last I played and how Hydro and team decisionmaking left it but it MIGHT have been altered since then...)

Top Bottom