Can Barbarians take over city-states?

I was doing a glutton-for-punishment thing on an almost all-jungle map with raging barbarians and the barbs got one CS down to zero health. I don't know if it was that there were only ranged barbs, or whether the game doesn't allow barbs to take CS ... any ideas?

Given that its known the barbs can't take a major Civ's city (it instead holds it up for ransom); highly unlikely they can actually take one from City states either.

Given that its known the barbs can't take a major Civ's city (it instead holds it up for ransom); highly unlikely they can actually take one from City states either.

Thanks -- I didn't know that barbs couldn't take a major Civ's city. Still don't have that ransom achievement! What happens if you can't pay the ransom?

(To clarify -- I only saw a ranged barb, don't know if there were any melee units around south of it that could have theoretically taken it. Definitely was getting hammered, though!)

Thanks -- I didn't know that barbs couldn't take a major Civ's city. Still don't have that ransom achievement! What happens if you can't pay the ransom?

(To clarify -- I only saw a ranged barb, don't know if there were any melee units around south of it that could have theoretically taken it. Definitely was getting hammered, though!)

You don't have a choice; the game auto-deducts the ransom from your treasury.

If after the achievement, turn raging barbs on and don't build any military at all and also don't use the city bombardment. Also found your city on flat lands in an area the barbs can attack it from all six sides (without crossing a river)

Top Bottom