Cannot locate the DVD-ROM

crunch said:
So what is the status with you Timonen at the moment? With original executable you get the "cannot locate dvd" error? With modified exe you crash at init mp/voice? Still like that?
Yes... Here´s a link to my earlier topic: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=152087

I think I´ll contact or visit the techsupport of the manufacturer of my pc, because I really have started to think, that there must be something wrong with the soundcard...

Have you tried to disable audio in the ini file? EnableAudio=0? While using modified exe.

Short version: I had this problem myself and figured out a solution--kill wdfmgr.exe in your task manager.

Long version: The game had worked perfectly for me for months until one day it demanded the CD be in the drive. It was in the drive. The CD hasn't left the drive in months. Eject a few times, reboot, the game might launch 1 of 5 attempts.

I had never installed Windows Media Player 10 on my computer but had recently accidentally kicked off the Install Wizard (perhaps fiddling with directx? i don't remember how I did this but i do remember going "no, crap, no! not WMP10! Cancel Cancel Cancel") It appears that WMP10 installs a "Windows User Mode Driver Framework" which I knew nothing about until researching this. It's supposed to help external hardware be recognized... something something... makes sense I guess if you need to synch your iPod or whatever with WMP10... Anyway, it's a hardware driver abstraction layer and I can totally imagine such a thing conflicting with whatever nasty stuff SafeDisk is trying to determine about your system. (It probably appears to SafeDisk that there's emulated drives around or something?)

So, trying to troubleshoot this bastard, I checked my Task Manager, saw wdfmgr.exe running, which I didn't recognize, so I researched it. Found out what it was and killed it with extreme predjudice and CIV4 and Warlords launch perfectly fine 100% of the time with no complaints about needing a CD or DVD. Additionally, this wdfmgr.exe is a service, so you can set it to Manual or Disabled in services.msc.

I hope this helps. Pass this along. This was the "magic bullet" solution for me.

This issue is happening to me, although with just a CD (for warlords), not DVD.

I know it recognizes the CD, because when I eject it and pop it back in, the "play / read me / install" screen comes up. When I hit "play game" it says "cd not found," which makes no sense.

Any ideas?

I was having the same problem described by this posting (I had played the game for months when suddenly it started telling me that it could not locate the CD ROM. I have removed and re-installed the game a few times, done everything Tech support proposed, and killed wdfmgr.exe, but I keep getting the message. At this point, I would be happy with 1 out of 5 successful loads, I am about 0 for 30 over the last week trying to figure out what is wrong. Does anyone have any further suggestions/magic bullets?
Thanks

forwardhairbrus said:
Short version: I had this problem myself and figured out a solution--kill wdfmgr.exe in your task manager.

:sad: :sad: Must say I miss playing Civ IV, my CD copy went bang with a burglar and now my new DVD copy decides it doesn't want to run! Any suggestions on how to get this damn thing reading the new dvd? As you can guess its the same error as the rest suffering from the same virus. Tried the solutions already given . . . .

I have this cannot locate DVD-Rom message with vista, however I do have some of the programes you mentioned, will try and see if this solves the problem, the game wouldn't load before due to having a vista system, uploaded patch and now get the DVD-rom error, will close down/uninstall mentioned programmes, and see what happens, unforntunately I do not have my own internet access, so you will have to wait tilll tomorrow for my results

Nope, still doesn't work I have tried all of the above, and yet it still comes up with the same message, also I thought it might be worth mentioning that before I updated I had the original version, when I treid to run the game it would just get to the loading screen and then vista would tell me that the game had to close, I tried changing it to run on XP or NT, and then the message changed to the DVD no found message, I installed the latest update and I get the DVD not found message everytime!!

Also the game worked fine under XP (apart from serious performance issues due to it being an old PC) part of the reason I bought a new PC was so that I could play Civ4, but I can't, so please help!

me too.. In all my games in my window xp before are all working, but when i upgraded my xp to vista, it started all the problems so i install my window xp again. But this msg cannot locate DVD is getting into my nerve... All my games are not working anymore and the same msg is keep on coming up...

Hi there

HELP NEEDED

I have Vista so after installing Civ 4 a pop up box said there are compatibility problems.

I then dowloaded patch v1.74

Then a pop up box informed me: I lacked D3DX9_32.DLL

I then dowloaded directX Software Development Kit

Now a pop up box informs me 'please insert the correct DVD CD ROm

I have it inserted - I know it can read the disk because it starts the process of loading for about five seconds.

(I have tried to change compatibility in properties in the short cut)...

Does anyone know what I can do to get the game to play on my computer?

Many thanks for ANY help!

Hi

I have exactly the same problem as you,
already three months since Feb, did you manage to find a solution? pls help

I started out with the typical need driver message and after making sure I had all the necessary drivers, I've graduated to "Please insert the correct CD-ROM, select OK and restart application."

Since having Windows Vista I've had numerous problems with other programs and devices that have all had logical solutions, but this one has been the hardest by far.

I've tried cleaning my disc, disabling Soundman.exe in the Task manager and updating drivers but it still isn't recognizing the CD. I only have one DVD-ROM drive so I know it's looking for it in the correct place. I even tried changing the path just to see if it was searching in the wrong place. I've even downloaded the patches that were recommended. All for nothing. :sad:

Does anyone have any other ideas as to how this can be solved? I would appreciate all the help I can get!

EDIT: Turns out the discs are mislabeled. Use the Install disc to run the game.

Top Bottom