Can't declare war on barbs

Morphem01

Chieftain
playing the Clan of embers

Can't find a way to declare war on barbs.
With FFH, attacking barb animals would pop the option but not here
probably because animals = different faction ?

Any idea? tried everything so far but no success

If you do find some way to do so, let me know. I went through great pains to ensure that it was impossible to do, outside of the score gain mechanism, which is eventually going to be changed to something more flavorful and controllable.

It'd be nice to see some way of attacking and killing individual barbarians, without declaring war on the whole faction .It's a bit of a stretch to call barbarians an organised faction in any case.

It'd be nice to see some way of attacking and killing individual barbarians, without declaring war on the whole faction .It's a bit of a stretch to call barbarians an organised faction in any case.

I believe in Orbis there's a Doviello-unique mechanic of issuing challenges (like a spell) to critters you're adjacent to, which means those critters with whom you're normally at peace, you're eligible to attack (and vice versa). I am trying to remember if its greatest utility was in terms of catching animals, I think the Doviello faction (maybe only under some leaders?) there is peaceful with animals, but already wars with barbarians.

Anyhow, the idea of "throwing down the gauntlet" to a barbarian unit you're standing next to, I guess that works. Maybe it works better with animals, where if you "challenge" one bear, it doesn't mean a wolf wants to avenge them... but if you challenge ten weak gretchins, the dozens of Archers and Chariots at a fort might take umbrage as well.

Why allow the player to attack the Barbarians at will, but not allow the Barbarians to attack the player at will?

It is more of a "China vs the Huns" thing than "Those Mindless bastards" thing. The "Civilized" folk call the Barbarians what they call them to justify hostility toward them. They acknowledge some factions of them as "Slightly better" and tolerate them like another real Civ, but those people are a "bridge" between the two groups and acknowledge the merits of each.

While having a China vs. the Huns thing would be nice, sometimes barbarians interfere with gameplay (usually when they plop down one of their cities in a spot 2 squares away from your perfect city spot). Just like orbis's peace with animals problem, where units cannot move animal dens, not being able to get rid of ruins, not being able to build where you want, etc. can get very annoying. There has to be some mechanic that allows you to remove said barbarians from where you want to be. And I'm sorry, but that score limit one is far to arbitrary and annoying.

-Colin

Yes but they can not do anything about a city, only units. A HN unit auto razing an undefended city would address this issue but may cause new ones.

At least with the Clan you can use their Hero combined with some nails HN units to render a city open for capture, but that doesn't solve the "why doesn't the AI put its cities where they should be" issue, like when they found one tile away from coast or river or food resources..."
I like playing the Clan but aside from the first 75 turns of the game, Barbarian tends to be more of a penalty than anything else, not to mention slower research (not by much, but its still there).

Well, the barbarians never get settlers, so they can only settle a city by automatically generating it. While Fogbusting doesn't stop Barbarian unit spawns anymore, it DOES stop city spawns. So if you have a location in mind for settling, go fogbust the area around it to stop City spawns. If the city was already there before you found said ideal location, then you wind up being out of luck. Perhaps some mechanism to uproot a Barbarian city (requires peace with Barbarians and undefended city, converts population into units and removes the city) would be in order, then Rantine still provides a unique service, but non-Clan Barbarian leaders can still get cities out of their way (after HN-bashing the defenders off)

Personally, I'd like a mechanic where you attack barbarians at will (activated by spell?), but afterwards all barbarians will attack you for a certain amount of time, based on howmany you killed.

Would allow you to clear out cities, at the cost of a short war with the barbs... Eventually peace returns, unless you are now over the score limit.

Top Bottom