Casus Belli, Client States, & Tentative Land Claims

Beld

Whiskeyclone
Unless I'm specifically aiming to expand my cultural borders or REXing- my empires size is generally small. I do like the idea that culture could take longer to spread, or stay nearer to the urban centers. However I also think a mechanic would be interesting that allows you to extend your borders beyond your culture. These areas might still allow other nations to travel through them without open borders (or require that they pay a toll or whatever).

The idea is a building and unit that could "culture bomb" one or a few hexes at a time. Perhaps the claimed tiles would be the same color as your cultural border, but shaded different or striped to signify they are not fully under your governance. Perhaps you could claim a portion of a resource tile too (like 2 horses on a 5 horse tile).

Other nations could settle in this space, but it would give you a Cassus Belli with few/no reprocussions to delaring war.

This idea would represent to me the "mob tactics" of early empire rule, where some distant emperors men would ride into town one day, and claim this part of their domain. They collect tax in exchange for "protection", but dont really try to enforce their own laws or draw a levy. In modern times, this would extend to nations that have "tribal belts" for instance.

Same idea could be extended to city states. Often times your empire will expand to share a border with a CS. Once you border a CS, you could be given the option to allow them to be a client state. Sort of like a puppet city. It would become part of your empire essentially, giving permanent alliance status for some ongoing maintenence costs.

Top Bottom