Challenge-IX-03

Ozbenno

Fly Fly Away
Hall of Fame Staff
While the general Hall of Fame is an ongoing competition, we are running a series of ten games called the Hall of Fame Challenge Series. Standard Hall of Fame rules (*) still apply, but any games meeting the settings of one of the games will be counted towards the Challenge.

(*) Please read the >> HOF rules << BEFORE playing!

Settings:
  • Victory Condition: Cultural (though all victory conditions must be enabled)
  • Difficulty: Emperor
  • Starting Era: Ancient
  • Map Size: Standard
  • Map Type: Pangaea
  • Speed: Normal
  • Required: No Tribal Villages, No Random Events
  • Must Not Be Checked: No Barbarians
  • Civ: Ottoman (Suleiman)
  • Opponents: Must include France (Napoleon), Inca (Huayna Capac), India (Asoka), Mali (Mansa Musa), Portugal (Joao), Russia (Peter)
  • Version: 3.19.003
  • Date: 9th October 2012 to 9th February 2013
Must not play as Inca.
The earliest finish date wins, with score as a tiebreaker.

Again, thank shulec for this one.

:mad: So, he's the one to blame for including Napoleon in what should be a peaceful game. :lol:

I tried my best to keep the french guy warring elsewhere, but he declared on me on the 1300's and delayed my victory by some 5 to 10 turns.:(

It was a fun game, regardless! :goodjob:

:mad: So, he's the one to blame for including Napoleon in what should be a peaceful game. :lol:

I tried my best to keep the french guy warring elsewhere, but he declared on me on the 1300's and delayed my victory by some 5 to 10 turns.:(

It was a fun game, regardless! :goodjob:

Note that I tried to get Catherine in there too. She's not such a nice lady!;)

Finally have some time to play civ. I decided to start with this one because unlike #1 (which seems pretty tedious) and #2 (which may not be doable with my level of micro and planning) it seems pretty straight-forward.

I've added Pericles on top of the required opponents because I consider him to be an excellent trading partner. Mansa alone may not be sufficient as far as tech trading goes. We'll see.

My start was a pretty decent one and moving away from my starting location improved it further as I swapped a lot of plains tiles for grassland. I soon discovered I'm pretty cramped between Asoka and Peter. BW revealed Copper, which I settled with my 3rd city and I decided to Axe-rush Asoka. Now this may seem controversial in a culture game but... a) Asoka settled Bombay right at my capital's border and I knew it would revolt at some point; b) I scouted Asoka and he was running "farmer's gambit": 3 archers total for 2 cities, just finished The Great Wall and entered the missionary-spamming mode.

It worked out extremely well... Bombay revolted, so I took it while its Archer was injured. Delhi built another missionary :)woohoo:) instead of an archer and my force of 5 axes and 1 warrior was sufficient to take it. The warrior managed to grab a worker from a dying indian nation. Delhi obviously has TGW and is the holy city of both (!!!) Hinduism and Judaism. So I already have access to 2 religions.

So this is what I'm currently looking at, I think it's a pretty solid position.

Spoiler :

The short term plans are:

a) Scout the area around Corn for additional food resources; if there are any then consider makind that spot my Gp farm instead of Bombay. Bombay can be used as a hybrid. Speaking of Bombay it's actually a really good city for such early capture - it has Corn farm, FP farm and can borrow Plains mine - this accounts for a Worker every 6 turns. Gonna build at least 2 there right away.
b) Build a road to Russia ASAP. I can get 3 additional :commerce: straight away. (at least I hope Peter has all his cities connected :D)
c) Connect Fur, because capital is at its happy cap. I really can't complain about the distribution of resources here, I got Ivory, Gold, Fur, Wine, Silk and Incense within reach and possibly Gems if I decide to go for them. The Whales are a bit out of reach and Optics is really a dead end in a Cultural game.
d) Tech Aesthetics. Hopefully somebody will pursue Alpha soon. Maybe I should build the Parthenon as I have access to Marble and can always use the GP boost.
e) Spawn Great Scientist for an Academy in the capital. I can't go Artists only because Delhi will start producing spy points soon. Great Spy is not bad but it doesn't help me as much as the early academy.
f) Settle city #6. Corn if there is indeed another food resource nearby, Sheep if not. (to block off Peter)

So yeah, hopefully I don't screw this one up like I tend to do. It looks really promissing.

c) Connect Fur, because capital is at its happy cap. I really can't complain about the distribution of resources here, I got Ivory, Gold, Fur, Wine, Silk and Incense within reach and possibly Gems if I decide to go for them. The Whales are a bit out of reach and Optics is really a dead end in a Cultural game.

In a cultural game, when the slider goes at 100%, you no longer get happiness problems. Whales are unnecessary.

Yep, you're right. Though before I reach Liberalism & Nationalism I'm going to need some sort of happiness to grow.
However, there's my UB Hammam, which I constantly keep forgetting about. Might be worth the hammers in my capital at least, especially if I can get my hands on Stone and try for the Hanging Gardens. I don't mind the GP pollution in capital after it spawns its Great Scientist.

Top Bottom