Challenge-V-07

Ozbenno

Fly Fly Away
Hall of Fame Staff
While the general Hall of Fame is an ongoing competition, we are running a series of ten games called the Hall of Fame Challenge Series. Standard Hall of Fame rules (*) still apply, but any games meeting the settings of one of the games will be counted towards the Challenge.

(*) Please read the >> HOF rules << BEFORE playing!

Settings:
  • Victory Condition: Space Colony (though all victory conditions must be enabled)
  • Difficulty: Emperor
  • Starting Era: Ancient
  • Map Size: Standard
  • Map Type: Archipelago
  • Speed: Normal
  • Must Not Be Checked: No Barbarians
  • Civ: Any
  • Opponents: Must include Carthage (Hannibal), England (Elizabeth), Inca (Huayna Capac), Korea (Wang Kon), Mali (Mansa Musa), Maya (Pacal), Netherlands (Willem Van Oranje), Viking (Ragnar Lodbrok)
  • Version: 3.19.003
  • Date: 6th June to 6th October 2011
Must not play as Inca.
The earliest finish date wins, with score as a tiebreaker

Financial spam :lol:!

No discussion on this one yet, though 5 games have been submitted. Bcool the challenger monster looks poised to repeat challenge IV's overall #1 finish with an impressive early 1700's finish here.

For my part, I JUST missed out on #2 and JUST beat the current #3, with an 1848 finish. Interesting that none of the current top spots use FIN despite the availability of Darius ;).

I had a strong food start with 3 seafood 1 corn 1 banana, but only planted 5 cities on my original island and 4 more on Mansa's. PA'd mansa and while he definitely sped up my time, it was only maybe 10ish turns. Only cottaged 1 city, the rest were farmed/workshopped with sushi/mining (PA to siphon resources for the lulz). Got capped around 2500 beakers/turn while building wealth/research but generally stayed above 2k after 1500 AD or so. Engines built in 10 turns, so OK but not great production.

I'll take it. I'm not known for blazing space wins, so eeking out a narrow (and probably temporary) top 3 spot is nice.

AI tech pace is pathetic. Bcools approach of taking land from them is the only way to realistically beat the mid-1800's finish by very much. I didn't bother with internet because the most advanced AI other than me/mansa was hannibal, picking up computers about the same time as our ship landed :/.

Darius is the obvious leader, which is why I'm playing around with Mehmed, and seeing just how much I can do with a Janissaries. Basically, every improvement that mehmed has is useful on an arch map...

Darius will probably be the leader who wins it, though.

Hey - do units loaded on a ship in port really not defend? I just lost a city with a LB and 2 Janissaries in it to cats and horsearchers... and the janissaries never got in the battle :(

Bcool's time is only going to beaten by 1-2 people if anybody beats it, and he uses Joao. There are a couple reasons Joao was a good pick, even though I didn't consider him myself at first:

1. He is the fastest expander in the game
2. His starting techs mesh well with this format
3. His UU carries some interesting opportunities
4. His UB mimics the effects of financial late-game for water tiles (very high by count here), probably enough to make it worth building on an arch map with mass high yield trade routes.

Does the immortal rush win the day on a low sea level arch map? Bcools submission at least makes me doubt.

Darius is the obvious leader, which is why I'm playing around with Mehmed, and seeing just how much I can do with a Janissaries. Basically, every improvement that mehmed has is useful on an arch map...

Hey - do units loaded on a ship in port really not defend? I just lost a city with a LB and 2 Janissaries in it to cats and horsearchers... and the janissaries never got in the battle :(

Yes, there are no longer part of the city when loaded on a ship, as if absorbed by the vessel. :yeah:

Me too. I've seen his particular choice of Joao II (choosing a different path from everyone); I was convinced the UU was one of the strongest reason.

Dunno, trait combo has some sick early growth curve too; that is USUALLY the big draw toward Joao. This forum underrates EXP in particular.

EXP is very strong, all right. 1 pop whips for granaries and (with a little waiting) harbors is very good for a map like this, since every city will have a harbor

And it may be stronger than Fin, because so much commerce will come from trade routes.

Fun game.

My conclusions:

traits matter.
4 or 5 gems matter more.

Also, Ragnar wont' trade lux resources. I got him to pleased and he still wouldn't trade gold to me. I guess he has to be friendly?

Beating bcool is NEVER an easy task when it has to do with space...:salute:

For the lulz, I popped Astro from an hut thanks to an active hut hunt.

Nice job Tachy. I did take an interest in using Joao for the UB although his UU and his traits were appealing as well.

popping astronomy from a hut isn't just for lulz, though. That was a significant boost I would have to imagine. I think I played without huts but on emperor archipelago maybe that was a mistake.

I doubt I will have time to try and beat it. I have been busy trying espionage cultural games. I thought they might be a path to some nice cultural dates, but I haven't figured it out yet or it just isn't as good as some other paths.

How do you get culture out of espionage?

Give three early cities to nearby Civs, conduct numerous Inject Culture missions against them until they each have Legendary Culture in your name, not the owners name. Capture all three cities and win a Cultural Victory.

Two updates ago, this was a really powerful method. One update ago, it was nerfed to near impracticability. Next, the nerfing was partially reverted and it has become viable again, but not nearly as powerful as it used to be.

Check out this strategy article, "The Spread Culture Espionage Mission revealed", for the details:

http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=286229

Sun Tzu Wu

Top Bottom