Challenge VII-08

No QM or EQM needed. Just play and submit. You don't even need to complete all 10 games. But the gamnes yo u want included need to be submitted before the deadline.

Any games yo submit here will also count towards the normal HoF and QM/EQM as well, if they are good enough.:)

Thanks -- just had "search for posts" on from beginning in the Series forum and no FAQ... just wanted to make sure it wasn't ONLY a competition for those looking for challenges past QM/EQM.

Sorry for the slight derail, thanks much for the info! Working on VII-I now! :)

Insane game!

Took me five or six tries before I got a game going that I could do something with. That is, survive until GW is built and actually get the Oracle>Theo gambit. I had a couple attempts in which a failed Oracle and gave up. Once you get by the barb apocalypse, it should be pretty easy as far as eventually winning. When that happens is a matter of several factors.

It's so hard to scout and send out mishes for a long time which slows the pace of the game. Really impressed with Neil's game. I know he is an AP master but figure he had some luck too. Bizarre how you got some many wonders early.

I'm not sure how I see one winning this game with the GW, as shulec mentions. However, I agree with him that marble may be a better play that stone, just to ensure Oracle>Theo happens. You should be able to build GW without stone in time.

Interested in knowing folk's starting build orders. I basically built warriors at the start until Masonry came in and sometimes I still had to build warriors to survive. Didn't bother with a worker until GW came in. Obviously, this slows things immensely.

I did have a bit more success in planting warriors outside the borders on hills. Most games I get swamped by barbs very early, but oddly some games they are delayed a bit more - yet still arrive at some point.

Also, went with the Americans, but avoided any spiritual and Myst leaders with the exception of Ram. Washington is kind of hit and miss though - I don't always find him that friendly. I went with Sury as well, as you have a chance to get a friend or mutual enemy. Sury can backfire though if close.

@1400AD finish. I'll probably try it 50 more times.

I think I built three warriors before a worker. I settled on marble, so that helped. I also didn't finish any worker improvements, I left on turn on all of them. The barbs swarm and pillage and I think it helps to recover more quickly after the GW is built.

^^^that's a good idea

I can get off to pretty decent starts each time. However, the main issue is scouting and religion spread. I actually had an overall much better chance with a subsequent attempt than the 1400ad I submitted, having way more than enough votes centuries earlier. However, Christianity just would not spread to the last AI on the other map and it took forever to get the mish over to him. Thus, I sit there watching the years go right past my original date with more than 100 surplus votes for victory for ages. Arrgh...probably a 900 to 1000AD win if luck went my way...and luck is definitely a factor in this challenge.

I think I'm calling it quits on this one and just sticking to the current submission. It is an accomplishment just to finish this one out on the win column.

Top Bottom