Chronic respawning

druss435

Chieftain
I've recently been trying to make the jump from Prince to Monarch but I have a problem. I can't stop myself from restarting if I don't like the start. If after founding my first city I don't see any decent potential second cities I think "what's the point?" and restart. I also haven't quite got my head around sharing resources between cities. I'm not sure how necessary this is for monarch so I tend to think what's the point in founding what will eventually be a substandard city compared to a city that has all of its tiles in the BFC available to work.

My problem doesn't just extend to a bad start in terms of the map, but if I make even the tiniest error I feel like due to the increase in difficulty I may as well restart. I got a really nice map recently and had Pericles as leader (I usually do random leader) but when I founded my second city I forgot to put the research slider down to 0% for a few turns. If ever I make a mistake like this in the early game I restart, which is what I did in this game. Probably stupid to restart over what would only have been 7-8 beakers but I feel like I need every advantage I can get or I will lose.

Anyone else have a similar problem or have had a similar problem? Any tips regarding changing your mindset to deal with it? I haven't gotten to turn 100 for days!

Welcome to the Civ4 forum druss! Don't know if I can play shrink and deal with your problem (unless you pay me a few hundred bucks an hour, haw!) but if you can overcome it somehow you'll be in for quite an experience. This game is something else, and takes a lot of getting used to. As a former Civ3 (mostly Emperor level) player it was extremely frustrating at first, as it's vastly more complex and despite sharing many conceptual ideas it's an almost completely different game.

Let me tell you something---this game is hard! When I first played it I thought it would be like Civ3 so I tried it at Prince. Took about a dozen tries before I finally eked out a Time victory. Finally figured out how to win Spacerace and moved up to Monarch. Even managed an Emperor win on Warlords and thought I was hot poop. Then along came Beyond the Sword to ramp it up another level.

My suspicion is that you've tried to jump in and learn by experience as the manual is rather basic and leaves out a lot of details. That's what this forum is for and I'd encourage you to avail yourself of resources on this site and play-throughs on YouTube. I've found that succession games are a prime source of information about how Civ4 should be played, and viddies by Absolute Zero (Chris), Lain, Grimith, and others can be helpful as well.

Yes it would be better to avoid reloading or starting over whenever the situation puts you out of your comfort zone. Otherwise you'll deprive yourself of learning from mistakes, and by doing some research into why you made them and how to correct them you'll become a better player. The satisfaction that comes from winning at Monarch (and above?) is well worth the effort.

Thanks for reading and good luck. Cheers!

I know the feeling. I can't say I've tried the suggestions in this thread yet, but you might find it useful anyway (and if anything, it's at least encouraging to know that others are in the same boat.:lol:)

Thanks for the replies! I'll give some of the succession games a look and I can relate far too much to that perfectionist thread!

I've recently been trying to make the jump from Prince to Monarch but I have a problem. I can't stop myself from restarting if I don't like the start. If after founding my first city I don't see any decent potential second cities I think "what's the point?" and restart. I also haven't quite got my head around sharing resources between cities. I'm not sure how necessary this is for monarch so I tend to think what's the point in founding what will eventually be a substandard city compared to a city that has all of its tiles in the BFC available to work.

My problem doesn't just extend to a bad start in terms of the map, but if I make even the tiniest error I feel like due to the increase in difficulty I may as well restart. I got a really nice map recently and had Pericles as leader (I usually do random leader) but when I founded my second city I forgot to put the research slider down to 0% for a few turns. If ever I make a mistake like this in the early game I restart, which is what I did in this game. Probably stupid to restart over what would only have been 7-8 beakers but I feel like I need every advantage I can get or I will lose.

Anyone else have a similar problem or have had a similar problem? Any tips regarding changing your mindset to deal with it? I haven't gotten to turn 100 for days!

Roll until you get a plains-cow start and go from there.

Top Bottom